PDA

View Full Version : Non-Map Art Showcase

pyrandon
10-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Hello, Friends:

I've been taking a break from cartography lately, instead playing with digital sketches, comics, and paintings. I'm no Rembrandt, but I thought I'd post some of my playful attempts in this thread anyway, just for fun.

I'd love to see some of your doodles, sketches, and artwork as well! Post 'em right in here, too.

Below is my most current effort: a painting of a nobleman, created in Photoshop in about 3 hours.

Take care!

dimbel
10-16-2007, 02:28 AM
I like the style!
I'd love to be able to paint character sketches for my d&d sessions... unfortunately i'm not blessed witch such a gift :(

pyrandon
10-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks, Dimbel. I had a good time piddling with that one.

Actually, your comment re: not being artistic enough to do character sketches can be skirted if you at least have a few basic Photoshop skills. For example, the red-haired ranger "painting" I'm attaching below was one of my first "play arounds" with PS, and I did almost no art in it at all. I didn't even have a Wacom tablet at the time! His head is some college student's, his body is a specialty costume catalog entry, and the trees are a random forest pic. All three images were found usinga Google Image search, then pasted together & cleaned up, then filtered a couple times. Sure, true digital artists dislike this sort of hack work, but like you I needed a pic of a character, and fast. Now, about a year later with a few more Photoshop tricks up my sleeve, I'd do a lot more to that pic, but at the time it worked great and everyone liked it.

Anyway, I'm also attaching another portrait in the same style as the nobleman I posted earlier. And yes,I myself painted this one in PS; no cut-n-paste. She's a rotund noblewoman circa the 1100s. See ya!

ravells
10-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Really wonderful. I love the first one. I won't even think of posting my efforts here until I've improved my drawing skills, but I just don't have the self discipline to practice every day.

RPMiller
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Great stuff! I like the consistency of style for the nobles in both the artwork and the dress of them. It gives a sense of culture to them.

Robbie
10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Nice work don...I wish I could draw...

all my non-map artwork can be found at http://evilarcana.deviantart.com

Warning though...some of it is kinda dark and twisted...not too bad though.

pyrandon
10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Nice works, Arcana. Boy I wish I could do 3D modeling! That, plus your "The Hand of Death" is a neat collage; great feel to it!

RobA
10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Well, it might not be "art" but I consider it creative...

Here is a HDR photo made by combining two different exposures of the same picture. It was modified in GIMP to look painterly, and I added a canvas texture and frame/matting.

http://ffaat.pointclark.net/blog/uploads/Misc/PAINTED_FALLS.jpg

Also, here is a small gallery of some POV raytracing I did a few years back...

http://ffaat.pointclark.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Raytracing

-Rob A>

pyrandon
10-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Here's another character portrait--this time of a vain sheriff named Trum. As you can see, I'm playing around with my art style now--trying some different techniques. This time I used no filters, instead shooting for a more "illustrative realistic" look.

I highly recommend non-cartography sketching/play: I can honestly say I've learned a ton by completing these exercises that I feel will improve my maps in the future!

Take care!

ravells
10-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow! That's just fantastic - the hair, the slight noise you've put on the sword blade and the chain mail are superb. You can start taking the art class when the art teacher's off sick now! This is seriously lovely stuff and you have such a talent. How long did it take you to do?

pyrandon
10-25-2007, 04:43 PM
How long did it take you to do?

About 6 or so hours, I'd say (hard to tell--I did it over 3 or 4 nights, and I am an incessant fiddler. I eventually just quit & put it here as an "end point" because I'd still be fiddling with it today without "publishing" it. In fact, I can see things right now I want to change...Must....resist........) ;)

Next image I'd like to try is true photorealism. Like I said, I am learning a lot that will improve my maps, even though this is way out of my comfort zone!

Robbie
10-25-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm currently doing a render of a VERY evil artifact from one of my campaigns...its a gemstone called the Heart of Asmodeus...should I post it?

RPMiller
10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Do you really have to ask?

Robbie
10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Ehh...screw it...I'm posting it anyways...to hell with it right? hehehe get it? hell? HAHAHA I kill me...

Anyways...the gemstone is a 5 sided gemstone (like a pentagram?) there's lots of use of numbers in this piece...5 and 9 appear a lot...5 claws, 5 sided pedestal, pentagram, 5 sided gemstone, 5 little arms hold up the stone...

The inscription reads "Here lieth the heart of the lord of nessus" in Alphabet of the Magi font...

The symbols around the stand are the seals of the 9 kings of hell from the lesser key of solomon. Bael, Paimon, Beleth, Purson, Asmodeus, Vine, Balam, Zagan, and Belial.

Sorry if the satanic imagery offends anyone.

RPMiller
10-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I think you probably just offended a bunch of satanists. ;)

pyrandon
10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow, Robbie--nice render!!!!! How long does it take to do something like that for you? For me it would take about 200000 hours & a miracle...

(PS: Go ahead and offend satanists ;) )

RPMiller
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Easy for you to say. They aren't coming after you with long curved daggers. ;)

Robbie
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Well I got about 1 hour invested in modelling the gemstone...maybe less...the scene modelling could be compressed down to about 3 hours if you don't count all the tweaking of the modelling to get what I like...then I got another 4-5 hours in texture tweaking...and about 2 hours in lighting....the render takes 38 minutes...I've rendered it and re-rendered it numerous times so there's a lot of waiting...

As for offending satanists? hmmm...who cares...this is aimed at the D&D pantheon's hell.

RobA
10-26-2007, 12:01 AM
the render takes 38 minutes...

Me thinks you need to spring for a faster computer :)

-Rob A>

ravells
10-26-2007, 04:14 AM
I bet the internal reflections are a render time killer though...nice gemstone, Aracana!

pyrandon
10-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Attached is my latest: a sketched portrait of Nak'hat, the ever-smiling bard. He is of the Mawk'hidu ethnicity, whose rough, craggy features, tawny skin, and dark eyes set them apart from the rest of humanity.

This was completely in PS by hand. Take care!

Robbie
10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Me thinks you need to spring for a faster computer :)

-Rob A>

Have you not worked with 3d Studio Max and Mental Ray yet? Mental Ray is the shizzle...And as for faster computer...I dunno..I'm running a dual core amd opteron 2214 processor with 4 gigs of Ram running windows xp64 and the 64 bit version of 3ds max...My vid card is a 1700 dollar quadro FX 4500...pre-loaded software included this machine cost you 12,000 dollars. (tax dollars). ;)

Its the global illumination, area lighting, 8+ bounce raytracing, internal illumination on the stone, caustic lighting (render time killer), texture blending and edge rounding (shader effect), and scene glare (specular bloom) that drive the render times up...

Robbie
10-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Attached is my latest: a sketched portrait of Nak'hat, the ever-smiling bard. He is of the Mawk'hidu ethnicity, whose rough, craggy features, tawny skin, and dark eyes set them apart from the rest of humanity.

This was completely in PS by hand. Take care!

THAT is a suave lookin dood...and the art style looks like something you'd see on a tavern wall flyer...I love it!

Don you need a deviantart account.

RobA
10-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Its the global illumination, area lighting, 8+ bounce raytracing, internal illumination on the stone, caustic lighting (render time killer), texture blending and edge rounding (shader effect), and scene glare (specular bloom) that drive the render times up...

Don't take this the wrong way (!?!) but how much difference do many of those things make for a scene that looks fairly simple (in terms of polygon count)?

Like, would I notice a significant difference with/without caustics?

-Rob A>

Robbie
10-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Yes...the starburst light on th epedestal coming from the gemstone is all caustics. of course it could easily be faked, but I prefer the complexity because it forces me to think in regards to actual lighting.

Fister
10-30-2007, 09:50 PM
The muted colors and the ever present grin is very sinister to me. He has a secret that keeps him smiling and most likely it involves someone's demise. Any PC I had would never be able to relax around Nak'hat. I am really enjoying this thread.

pyrandon
10-30-2007, 10:38 PM
The muted colors and the ever present grin is very sinister to me. He has a secret that keeps him smiling and most likely it involves someone's demise. Any PC I had would never be able to relax around Nak'hat.

Hahaha. Well, if you ever were to read our game logs, you'd see this is not the case. He's hilarious. Perhaps my sketch is a bit off on that--but his player always describes him as standing too close to others and showing too much teeth when he smiles.

I am really enjoying this thread.

Me too--and I want to encourage everyone to post whatever they want here!!! I love seeing everyone's artwork; I don't want this to be Don's playground.

PS: Hey Robbie, what benefit is a deviant art account? I know very little about it!

Take care

Robbie
10-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Deviantart basically is a free website where you can post your art for others to see and comment on and see other peoples art and comment on it...its basically a big art community.

RPMiller
10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
And unfortunately there is a lot of patting on the back even when the artwork sucks. What I mean by that is that I rarely see honest constructive criticism to actually help the artist improve. It really is a shame that everyone has become so PC and afraid to offend that an honest critique meant to really help gets berated. Yea, I was a victim once. I don't try to help people over there anymore because of that. YMMV.

Some of the Poser galleries are even worse though. I've seen really bad compositions, that even I could do a better job putting together, get a solid 10 rating.

Robbie
10-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah I also forgot to mention that due to what RP just mentioned...DA is also a VERY big popularity contest...sux really...but it is a great place to post yer stuff because you can also sell prints...

Robbie
10-31-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm thinking about going back and working on this guy some more...anyone wanna throw me some ideas to fill out the scene? I'm not really happy with the scene itself...I'd like to keep the tub and columns...but the rest I'm not so sure about...maybe somebody could "MAP" the room for me and I'll model it all.

RPMiller
10-31-2007, 01:17 AM
I love it! Ravs, doesn't that totally scream CoC to you? That is great.

I could see some cultists surrounding it and summoning the creature. Little do they know it has plans of its own.

Valarian
10-31-2007, 05:44 AM
I could see some cultists surrounding it and summoning the creature. Little do they know it has plans of its own.
Gives a whole new meaning to "feeding your brain".

Robbie
10-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Hmmm ya'll didn't get the Illithid references in the scene? Like the holy symbol of Ilsensine? ;) I was thinking having some mind flayers in the picture.

RPMiller
10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
When you venture into the realm of the "world's most popular RPG" you tend to lose me as my gaming tastes diverted me from it to more character oriented games a long time ago. I still play from time to time, but prefer other systems. That said...

I could totally see some mind flayers in the picture. :D

RobA
10-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Not quite a map, but you forced me to dig out Sketchup and play with 3d modeling again :)

RPMiller
10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey, that isn't a bad reproduction at all.

ravells
10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Very nice and yes......VERY CoC!

palehorse
11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Well, I don't usually do a lot of finished pieces, but I'm a compulsive sketcher! So here's some stuff from my sketchbooks. I do my inking with a Pitt Artist's Brush Pen and a Uniball Vision ballpoint. (I've inked with Illustrator before, and I like it, but I work in my sketchbook to get away from the computer!)

http://www.zombienirvana.com/art/sba2.jpg

The guy on the left is a Tetsuo I swiped from an issue of Akira; I'm in awe of Otomo's work! The other two are just things I doodled while watching 28 Days Later.
http://www.zombienirvana.com/art/sb2.jpg

http://www.zombienirvana.com/art/sb3.jpg

I didn't draw this badass Hellgirl; the original pencil drawing was done by comic artist Randy Green and inked by one of the artists over at PencilJack.com. I just did the coloring! (In Photoshop, obviously.)

http://www.zombienirvana.com/art/Hellgirl.jpg

I've got more stuff posted at my non-map thread over at ENWorld, but this is pretty much the best of the bunch.

pyrandon
11-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Nice, Butch! I saw these over at EN--good stuff, all. Like you I like to draw for relaxation--for some reason, maps are much more serious to me. Fun, but serious.

Good to see you here at the Guild again, too, Butch!