PDA

View Full Version : *** March/April Lite Challenge Voting: Dwarf Fortress ***

torstan
04-15-2010, 06:12 PM
The time has come to cast a vote for the best map of a dwarf fortress. This month's lite challenge was very broad. The remit was just to create any home fit for a dwarf.

The thumbs for this month's entries can be found here:

March/April Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_LiteMar10.htm)

Note that the entry by Greason Wolfe has been withdrawn.

Please vote for one (1) entry. The poll will end in 5 days (5pm EST April 20th).

Please remember to rep any entry that you vote for, and any entry that you feel deserves it.

Djekspek
04-15-2010, 07:50 PM
hmmm, hard choice again... Really great maps you guys made... they all have something special..
Jax: Most creative concept for sure, hope the axe on the bow can do the icebreaking job
Xyll: Most realistic looking, yeah and great texture too. but could use some more detail in my opinion
Map Vandal: Awesome how you captured the old-school look 'n feel. Simple yet effective
Euio: I like the handdrawn style and great special effects.. most arty piece of the lot and I like it a lot but not the most mappy piece (looks who's talking ;P)
Tilt: Layout as I expect them Dwarves to dig through the mountains. So layout perfect but overal look and feel is a lilltle less then the others
Greyson Wolfe: Nice start but too bad your employer doesnt appreciate your mapmaking talent so you couldn't finish it :)

... hmm where's the ASCII-art entry????

anyway ... in the end I voted for Map Vandal, but Kudos to all who entered! cheers!

Rythal
04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
took me quite a while to decide, but in the end I went for Jaxilon's floating fortress for having a nice use of colour. grats to all!

tilt
04-16-2010, 03:33 AM
hammering the nail in my own coffin I vote for Map Vandal - I really like the look of the map - reminds me of the maps from the olden days ;) ... thought all the maps had something good though, and I'm sorry not to see GW's map finished ... but I hope he'll keep working on it as I plan to do on my own :)
Good contest all :)

Jaxilon
04-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Well I like them all as well, even though I did one myself :)

Xyll: I thought had just the best textures and if it had more detail with that type of perfection it would have blow us away.
Map Vandal: I like the look of this and as a map I think it is the most polished of them all however, to me it's not "Fortressy" enough (even though the rules are not hard core in the lite challenge - look at me, I tried to make a floating fort, hehe). Love the look though.
Tilt: This one reminds me of old school games I played and is a nice way to have multi levels shown. I would love to see the whole system if you ever do the rest.
Euio: Enjoyed the hand drawn look and how it details a hidden fortress location. When you got into it and read the writing it was great. I could totally see this as a handout to start an adventure. Would have gotten more votes I think, if it had been easier to read. Might have to get a spy with better penmanship next time. :)

In the end I voted for Euio's Tribute because I don't like to vote for myself and I got the more out of it than the others.

PS. GW-Sorry you have to withdraw I was watching to see what you were going to do next. I hope you can finish it.

Etory
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I hesitated between Jaxilon's map and Map Vandal's map.Bbut I find the idea of aquatic fortress more interesting even if I do not see the dwarves on the sea (or then maybe in a sea of beer) ... ;)

Map Vandal
04-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I really liked all the entries this month but ended up voting for tilt. I love a good dungeon and especially one that has multiple overlapping levels.

Greason Wolfe
04-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Oh, I'll continue to work on mine, however, it will be changing from a dwarf fortress to a "lost" temple beneath a mountain. As for my vote, it wasn't easy (again). I liked all the maps, even though it appears that Xyll got caught in a situation similar to my own and was unable to finish. But the important part was trying in the first place, so it's still a good thing.

Euio - I agree with DJ about this map. I loved the presentation, the artsiness of it and the effects, but it wasn't quite "mappy" enough for me.
Tilt and Map Vandal - Great "dungeon" type maps that would probably fit well in any campaign. Very "mappy."
Jaxilon - This isn't the first time I've heard of dwarfs going to the sea, in fact, for one campaign I ran way back in the day, I developed a sea-faring sub-race of dwarfs who were master shipwrights. Add to that the fact that Denis McKiernan (Mithgar series) deals with a group of dwarfs manning "the sleekest and fastest sailing ship of Mithgar" and I just had to press that button. Thus, my vote is for Jaxilon's map even though, perhaps, it wasn't quite as "mappy" as it could have been.

GW

Ramah
04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I'll throw my vote in for this to show support for the mapmakers but I really feel underqualified for this as I have little to no experience with rpg's so I'm not sure what makes a good map in that respect. I guess they don't have to to be rpg maps but as most seem to be it would be best if they had utility in that respect.
Anyway, from my limited experience I'm going to vote for Map Vandal's map. Purely because it looks good, I like the style and it looks like it fits the brief. I liked all the others too, especially Jaxilon's, which it was the main contender against Vandal for me, and Euio's, although I'd like to have seen more work on that. It looks like a preliminary sketch for something very special, albeit a very nice sketch.

ravells
04-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I voted for Jax, imaginative work and beautifully executed (minor type: the plural of cannon is cannon). Great work everyone! It was a hard choice and the maps were all so very different to each other.

Jaxilon
04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
I voted for Jax, imaginative work and beautifully executed (minor type: the plural of cannon is cannon). Great work everyone! It was a hard choice and the maps were all so very different to each other.

Awww crud. I hate it when that happens! I will go ahead and fix it for a finished version, if that's ok? At least then I might not have to live the rest of life knowing it's in print that I'm a big dope. Oh well, this is the stuff that keeps us humble. Thanks for the pointer.

EDIT: Hold on a sec...now I'm confused for sure: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cannons <--- This looks to me like it's acceptable to use Cannons for the plural.

On a side note, seeing what folks are feeling and saying as they cast their votes reminds me of something an Art teacher (who was also a professional artist) told a classroom of students I was among. He said, and I paraphrase, "Whenever you show a piece and it does not do as well as you hoped don't let it get to you. You never know what the judges are looking at. Sometimes they may only be looking at the eyeball and the entire show can be judged based on this one aspect. You could take the same piece to another show and it might win the blue ribbon. Art is subjective so remember that."

Good advice, I think, to anyone entering the challenges. You may not do well this time but there is always next time and the time after that. Just don't give up, the more you do it, the better you get.

ravells
04-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Hah, no it looks like I'm the dope, and that cannon or cannons are both acceptable! I should have checked!

Aval Penworth
04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Map Vandal came up with the goods regarding mappiness, cohesion of style, and useability. Well done.

Tilt was great too but didn't quite get there in the end. (Sorry friend.)

rdanhenry
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
For me, it came down to Map Vandal's old-style dungeon/mine and Jaxilon's nifty fortress-at-sea. tilt's map was clever and has some nice features, but it would be a little hard to use and wasn't quite so nice to look at as the two I ended up choosing between.

Rulma's Ruby Mine includes a Waste Disposal Area. The Aquatic Fortress lacks a head and the deck design means you can do your business over the side, it'd just land on the ship. So, for reasons of sanitation, I voted for Map Vandal.

Map Vandal
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
...So, for reasons of sanitation, I voted for Map Vandal.

Who knew my experience as a public works engineer would garner me a vote. Always thinking about that kind of crap! Thanks rdanhenry!

tilt
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Map Vandal came up with the goods regarding mappiness, cohesion of style, and useability. Well done.

Tilt was great too but didn't quite get there in the end. (Sorry friend.)

yep.. just needed 112 more hours to get it finished - so close *lol* ... I think I tend to think to big ... my map was 5 mm to 10 feet and there is allready a lot of feet in there... but I'm dissapointed that I didn't get to get to all the "windowdressing" of the map. But as I knew that when the competetion entered - I never really reconned to be in any kind of running :) ... so thank to those who voted for me and repped me - it's really appreciated :)

But I'm ready for the next contest... comming out swinging.. or pencil toting... or mouse dragging... ;)

Jaxilon
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
So, for reasons of sanitation, I voted for Map Vandal.

This is my favorite reason yet for casting a vote. I'll be chuckling about it all day.

Talroth
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I had to vote for Euio, just because the style is so different and well done.

Map Vandal's was my second choice, but I had issues with the layout. (Why is there a hallway from the prison that goes to the family quarter's that doesn't pass though the guard house?)

tilt's looks too sterile and modern, more like Space Dwarfs,... which actually isn't a bad idea. Anyone else thinking of a Dwarf colony on a moon somewhere? Crap, now I've really side tracked myself from getting work done on that draft.

Jaxilon's just seems wrong to me, but only because I've been studying naval architecture in my spare time. Should have made it a submarine crawler.

Map Vandal
04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Map Vandal's was my second choice, but I had issues with the layout. (Why is there a hallway from the prison that goes to the family quarter's that doesn't pass though the guard house?)

I thought about that when I was making the prison. There truly is no need for that hallway and it actually becomes a danger since a prisoner could escape to the family quarters without going past the guard. I was originally going to remove the hallway but thought about the many different buildings that I have been in that seem to be poorly designed and figured a dwarven family that has no experience with cavern creation could easily make a few mistakes on the layout as well.

Jaxilon
04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey Map Vandal, you gotta admit this has been a really good race to the finish so far. That folks are looking this closely at our stuff means we must have done a pretty decent job of it on this round.

You could collapse the tunnel so it would be filled with rubble because once they realized the danger I'm sure they would do something to block it off.

Just like in my ship without a head: I can think of no better use for Dwarf excrement than a miniature ballista to fling it at enemies.

Imagine: "Tharg, what the grok is that splatter on you and why do you smell like a Privy?" "It's Dwarf poo sir, Permission to be ill?" Meanwhile on deck... "INCOMING!" -shplaat- "Ahhhh! I'm blind..Pooh in my eyes, there's Pooh in my eyes!"

torstan
04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
This poll is now closed. We have a dead heat, so congratulations go to both Jaxilon and Map Vandal and awards will be provided to both. Congratulations to all who entered for a well fought competition all round. Well done! The April/May challenge should be up shortly.

Jaxilon
04-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Congrats Map Vandal, I for one am happy with the tie, we were neck and neck the whole time so it was going to be a shame to loose over a single vote.

I shall wear this digital badge with honor and in the spirit of sensibility and rightness will not go to any seedy places and use it to pick up chicks or pose with it in provocative ways. <-- If you don't get this you didn't watch the Olympics, sorry.

Seriously though, I do think it is an honor to gain this award as I know there are some very talented folks on here from all over the world. Even though it was just a 'lite' challenge it's still pretty cool. Thanks to all of you who voted for the Aquatic Fortress.

Now, if I can just figure out how to add this to my album I'm set. For some reason my editing of albums goes wonky when I attempt to add to my existing "Challenge Entries" folder. ... it''s always somethin.

ravells
04-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Congrats to the both you! Brilliant entries both! Rep on the way if it will let me.

Djekspek
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Gratz Jax and MapVandal!