PDA

View Full Version : Thule- The World Of Gates

Sapiento
04-18-2010, 02:15 PM
My latest commission, made for a Pathfinder campaign world by Tahsin Shamma. This is the small version (for uploading it here), visit the campaign site (http://www.pathfinderdb.com/campaign-worlds/thule/591-map-of-thule), where you can see the map in its full size.

Map itself made in PS, labelling, deco etc in Illustrator.

Gandwarf
04-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Looks very good Sapiento. I like the symbols and the fact that you didn't use too many of them. I had some problems adjusting to the land/oceans (thinking the oceans were land and vice versa) but it's all good now :) I think the colors messed with me a bit (the oceans are brown and the land looked a bit blue at first, although it's green of course).

Have some rep.

Diamond
04-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Wow, that is NICE! Like Gandwarf, I had a little bit of trouble telling land and sea apart at first, but in spite of that, I really like the color choices. I also really like those city and town icons - now I want to create some of my own in a similar style. (After all, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :D) Repped!

A R Frost
04-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Very Nice, Your map has a nice over all feel to it. I to was offset a little by the water. When I first looked at the area that I now know are lakes I thought they where mesa's. I mistook the depth/wave lines in them for contour lines. On that note how do you make those lines? ( I use GIMP, but I'm sure It's a similar process.)
That's the look I want for my maps but I always seem to end up making a big blurred mess around my land masses instead of neat lines.
Great Job keep up the good work!!!

Sapiento
04-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Thank you all!

The land/sea matter seems to be a 'first-look' problem! ;-)

@A R Frost: I use either an outer glow for the coastlines, or a path. Both techniques make fine results.

Jaxilon
04-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Very nice Sep, a pleasure to scroll around through and look at.

I had never heard of Seadragon before either, that is a pretty cool little app. I will have to explore it a bit myself.

Sapiento
04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Jax.
Initially I had planned some monsters for the map as deco, but they hadn't fit into the look. Finally my monsters ended up as sea creatures for the campaign. I don't know when Tahsin will post the images.

veector
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Jax.
Initially I had planned some monsters for the map as deco, but they hadn't fit into the look. Finally my monsters ended up as sea creatures for the campaign. I don't know when Tahsin will post the images.

Just as soon as I can write up some stats. Hey, come to think of it, I don't need stats right away, just some good description.

I'll post those now.

http://www.pathfinderdb.com/campaign-worlds/thule/595-the-sea-of-scales

Sapiento
04-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Just as soon as I can write up some stats. Hey, come to think of it, I don't need stats right away, just some good description.

I'll post those now.

http://www.pathfinderdb.com/campaign-worlds/thule/595-the-sea-of-scales

This was fast! :)

Sapiento
08-24-2010, 03:21 AM
I just received word from Ralf Schemann, ProFantasy, that this map style will be featured in ProFantasy's Cartographer's Annual 2010 September (http://sub.profantasy.com/2010/september10.html) edition.
The guild is favorably mentioned in the article! :)

Jaxilon
08-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Hehe, we are "good folks" :)

Ascension
08-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Just the map style or will Ramah's mountains be in there as well? I know Vhailor27 made them into brushes and Ramah was fine with that but I dunno about this.

Sapiento
08-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Just the map style or will Ramah's mountains be in there as well? I know Vhailor27 made them into brushes and Ramah was fine with that but I dunno about this.

Everything.
Nothing to worry about. Both have been informed by me and by ProFantasy when the matter came up a few month ago.

Sapiento
08-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Hehe, we are "good folks" :)

Of course, what else! :D

betomuraro
08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Nice and clean! I just mistook the shorelines as everyone else... Could they be a little bigger for the size of the map?