PDA

View Full Version : April Challenge Entry - Boran's map

calydon
04-19-2010, 12:45 PM
This is my first entry to a challenge, in fact my first post to CG, but I've lurked here for a long time and picked up a number of techniques thanks to the excellent tutorials offered here by very helpful artists.

I really like the idea of using a fantasy world to market a product (esp. beer) so I'm looking forward to being able to work on something for FBM.

So I'm starting out with a basic quadranted border and relief map, which I just noticed will have to be toned down for the final product, because satellite relief isn't allowed. I hope to put some cool calligraphy on the right outside of the map area. Not sure if that's allowed, but I'm going for it anyway! ;)

Steel General
04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Welcome Aboard!

... and good to see a "rookie" jump right in on a challenge - good luck to you.

Zar Peter
04-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Welcome. And that's a great outline to start with.

Greason Wolfe
04-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Just as SG said, it's great to see the "noobs" jump right into the thick of things. And it looks like you're off to a fine start.

GW

calydon
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I don't know if starting a challenge before posting some maps is the best approach, but I couldn't resist this one. Also, I have been a long-time lover of the art of cartography and I've seen a few really amazing examples of it here. I have been a professional graphic designer for over a decade but I rarely get a chance to be creative in this way.

I think a fantasy map should have some gold and silver and a dagger, for stabbing orcs while drinking beer.

calydon
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I doubt Boran would make a map without a cold mug at his side. I should probably start adding some actual place names before I run out of time.

calydon
05-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Hmm, looks like I didn't read the rules very carefully and I might be too late with this, but for the sake of posterity here is my mostly finished map. This was fun, wish I had more time to devote to it.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
05-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I love the sketches and the presentation. Lovely work!

Immolate
05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
calydon... I think you're on to something with the over-sized cities. The entire presentation smacks of a movie poster, which for obvious reasons can be a very good thing.

One thing I would try in your shoes is putting a three or four-pixel black outer glow on the coins to pull them up off the underlying paper. The background paper could stand a bit of scuffing up as well. No lack of good grunge brushes out there and almost everything you try with weathering achieves a new and interesting effect.

calydon
05-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, everyone, and thanks for the tips, Immolate- I will try that out!

calydon
05-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Ok, with Immolate's suggestions.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Looking good!

...Remember to add the "### Latest WIP ###" or your entry will not be properly picked up by the thumbnailer.