PDA

View Full Version : Mechanar

Ramah
04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
A commission for Empyrean Games I am working on at the moment.

Shane at Empyrean Games sent me a wonderful paragraph or two of text that sums up the world succinctly but I'll leave off posting that up till I post the final image so that it sets the scene nicely for it.
The world will be a steampunk place filled with clockwork gizmos and doofers and sounds very intriguing.

Anyhoos... here's where I am at the moment.

Not a lot of this is currently set in stone and any part of it is liable to change before it is finished.

This image is copyright of Empyrean Games so please no copying. :)

Jaxilon
04-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Looking very good so far. I like the muted tone and the crinkled paper. It's effective.

Ascension
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I think that the wrinkled paper might be too heavy right now. Good start otherwise, bro.

Steel General
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm always impressed by what I've come to call the 'Artful Grunginess' of your maps Ramah....

Ramah
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Not a massive update here.

I've altered the coast somewhat, making it darker. I've added a little character to the region: The Black Rust Area. I've also done a first pass at adding in the seven sentient cities. I was asked to use an icon to represent each of them: A fish, a spyglass, a tower, a crab, a shield (and spear which still needs adding), a winged leviathan and a phoenix.

ravells
04-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I love the way that each of your maps is just a little bit differerent from the last but they're all your style and they're all beautiful. Lovely work as always (although I do agree with Ascension that the creases on the paper are bit heavy).

Ramah
04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Hmm... if I'm getting several people commenting on the same thing then maybe I should indeed tone them down a bit. I actually really liked how battered the paper was (it's another one of CM's fantastic aged paper's from his thread in the elements forum - go get them people) but I may be in a minority.

Anyhoos, I'm not going to make a change to it just yet because I do suspect that as I add more to the map it will tone itself down when viewed with the other elements. If not, then I can always crank it down a little at the end.

Thanks for the comments.

Immolate
04-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Wow... I love those Icons Ramah! As a frequent user of icons, I am fascinated by the power that they have to focus attention on a map, and how much information they can convey. Your icons are gorgeous, with a true Da Vinci feel to them. I'm impressed and inspired!

a2area
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Nice Map! The planet I'm working on is steampunk-ish also.. well.. steampunk "lite" i call it... but with a Victorian feel and some tech advancements in particular areas due to lack of accessibility to petrol and coal.

Ascension
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
About the creases...just keep them around the edges. Fade the middle out a bit so it's not so prevalent. It's what I'm doing on my current challenge so feel free to try it.

rpgmapmaker
04-25-2010, 09:51 PM
This is a great looking map, even at this stage! I love the line work around the map symbols. looking forward to seeing the finished map. I like the fact that the rivers are cut out of the land rather than painted on. Reped!

Diamond
04-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here - I actually love the grunge and creases just the way they are now.

Coyotemax
04-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Bloody heck, this is gorgeous. And nice use of texture, in my opinion :P
Every time I look at your maps I get inspired, and this is no exception. I **especially** love the symbols!

[edit]
I went back to look it over again, and let it simmer for a bit, then looked at it again while i take breaks from my own work (heh) and I had a bit of a suggestion, if you could work over the title font so the lines were faded, or a bit more hand drawn looking like the lines on the symbols, they might fit just a tad closer..
Not really a mappy suggestion, more of an artsy thing, but it's all I could come up :P

Ramah
04-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

CM: I'll try your suggestion when I get further along but for now the title is simply placed there and I'm not even sure I'll stick with the font. I downloaded it from Dafont.com (SketchesbyDeurer) and I cannot tell if it is free to use for commercial purposes or not. It says "Free for personal use" but at the top it says "The artist no longer requires paying." So I'm not sure if this means that he no longer requires paying for a licence to use it commercially or whether he used to require payment even for personal use?
Anyway, there's another similar font called "Codex" that I could use but I'm not sure I like it as much.

Whatever...

Here's a small update. Not done a lot on it really. I've darkened the mountains a little (and experimented with a few highlights in places). I've added two rather large impact craters and what will become a volcano. I've also adjusted most of the icons: changed their places, edited some and changed what was originally a spyglass into an eye.
I've also shrunk the other labels down to something closer to what they will be when it is finished.

Oh, and I forgot I had left the dashed line on. That is something of a placeholder at the moment so feel free to ignore it.

alizarine
04-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Lovely map, particularly those craters. The mountains are just beautiful, as well. Personally, the water shading (I suppose its water shading) over on the right side of the map isn't as blended into the background as it is on the left side, and the letters of MECHANAR are a tiny bit too far apart, but honestly that's all opinion. I just adore this style - I'll have to give it a try sometime soon ^.^

- alizarine

Ramah
08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
After too much time away suffering from a severe bout of doubt/lack of motivation/self-induced stress, I'm back on this map and firing on all cylinders so it's finally time for a few update images.

The full image is posted at 25% size. The snapshot is 100%. Most of the markers and all of the labels are placeholders so feel free to disregard them.

This map is a commission for Empyrean Games so it's copyright of them and the usual CC licence doesn't apply.

(P.s. I couldn't attach the snapshot as an in-line image as it wanted to post it full size and not as a thumbnail. Weird.)

ravells
08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
OMG, that's just beautiful...you've really got the art of making mountains and cliffs just pop off the page...amazing.

Ascension
08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm interested in what the crab is for, some sort of national icon thing like the British bulldog or American eagle?

torstan
08-02-2010, 05:27 PM
This is really lovely. I like the sketchy lines around teh crab, and the half hidden aqueduct. Very very nice indeed. Good stuff.

Jaxilon
08-02-2010, 06:02 PM
That is looking great.

Coyotemax
08-02-2010, 10:45 PM
That's probably the best crater and rift-type valley i've seen.

*snags for future inspiration*

cereth
08-03-2010, 10:58 AM
That is pretty awesome across the board. Those craters do look pretty amazing. The "water spots", creases, and crinkles all look great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ramah
08-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Man alive, am I ever fried from doing hills these last two days. :S The most annoying thing is that as I've gone along I've removed about 150 hills where areas have been too cluttered. Ah well. Live and learn.

Anyhoos, here's where I'm at with this map right now. The border is a work in progress so feel free to ignore it. I was hoping to have all the hills done before posting this but I reckon I need a rest from them for now.

Djekspek
08-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Really love it so far Ramah! (well basically I love all your maps ;) For what it's worth, the time spend on it is definitely worth it, as this is gonne be a classic again! (copied to the inspirational folder) cheers!

Jaxilon
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep, this is looking super sweetness! I know you are tired and I relate to having to do things over again...I'm doing it all the time. I was hoping I would get past that but from the sounds of it, I begin to think it not likely :)

ravells
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
That is just so beautiful....I can well imagine you getting fried drawing this...well actually I can't because I could never draw anything like it.

Ascension
08-15-2010, 10:27 PM
What's that thing at the bottom that says "Rent" with a big canyon under it? Just a big canyon that goes into the sea? Might want some waterfalls there. Really great stuff, though, bro.

Ramah
08-16-2010, 04:20 AM
What's that thing at the bottom that says "Rent" with a big canyon under it? Just a big canyon that goes into the sea? Might want some waterfalls there. Really great stuff, though, bro.

Tsk. They actually are waterfalls at the ends. :(

mearrin69
08-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Not sure how I never saw this but...wow. Nice job! Have some rep!

I can see the waterfalls, BTW.
M

Steel General
08-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Great stuff...as I've come to expect.

Ramah
09-06-2010, 11:35 AM
A WIP shot of the edge of the map. Lest we forget it's a steampunk world, here are some pipes, a dial for the compass and an etched plate for the scale. Nothing is finished here, just thought I'd post a shot of the way I intend it to go.

Diamond
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm speechless. That is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I think that's better than 99.5% of maps I've seen in any RPG supplement over the last 25 years; the product that this is going into is going to have to work it's rear off just to live up to the greatness of the map.

torstan
09-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Very lovely. This is coming together beautifully.

Djekspek
09-06-2010, 06:47 PM
O.o ...speechless again...

Quabbe
09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Yep, I'm speechless too. The handdrawn style is great. Can't await seeing this finished!

Quabbe

landorl
09-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Just out of curiosity, how does the "Rent" work? I can see the waterfalls, but it seems like it would fill up at some point if the ocean keeps pouring into it.

Ramah
09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Best not to ask these kind of questions. ;)

tilt
09-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm guessing there is some kind of rent reduction taking place.. *drumroll* .... weak puns aside.. really beautiful map Ramah - love those valleys :)

Diamond
09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
*throws shoe at tilt* :D

Ascension
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Rent works with a bunch of dudes with brooms and trash cans down there pounding and dancing and generally making a big commotion. This, then, appeases the water gods who send the water back to the ocean via the pipes.

Ramah
09-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Hopefully this will be the last update in this section.

The map is now very close to completion.

Here's a version at 25% size.

mearrin69
09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Looks great! I like the fanciful nature of this map.
M

Ascension
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I think it needs more pipes; maybe in the top left corner or across the bottom halfway. Looks fantastic anyway.

Steel General
09-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Another fantastic job so far Ramah!