PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth as a starting point?

flippidymozo
04-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm new around here, but I did a search of the threads and couldn't find any mention of Google Earth. Has anyone tried using Google satellite images as a starting point, and then modifying them in photoshop? For example - here is a little something I did really quickly as a test-of-concept.

Thoughts?

Ascension
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
The reason that you didn't find any mention is that there are too many mentionings to list. I hate to burst your bubble but there are a few here who take satellite images and then copy/paste and blur/erase the edges to make new things. It's not what I do but I've never tried it either. It looks fun so just keep on with ya bad self :)

flippidymozo
04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh, believe me - I have no "bubble"!! I didn't think I was the first person to have the idea, as it's a pretty obvious approach, so I was pretty stunned to have the searches turn up empty. No I see that the magic search term may be "Satellite" and not "Google Earth" - I'll go poke around in those search results and see what I can find.

Korash
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
There is also is a tutorial on this site that deals with getting hight field info (DEM ?) from Google Earth and translating that into somthing you can use in photoshop or Gimp. I found it interesting, and usefull, maybe you will too. You can find it here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?5337-Managing-SRTM-information-with-GDAL&highlight=srtm) so have a look see.