PDA

View Full Version : Volcano Island

torstan
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
This was a private commission for a client. The request was for a dual volcano island with a ruined temple on an island in the lake within the crater of one of the volcanoes (well the timing seemed appropriate). All very much in the turn of the century pulp B movie theme. This is what I came up with:

This is the first map I've done in this style. Any C&C much appreciated!

Hmm, attachment manager seems to be broken for me. See page two of this thread for an externally linked version.

calydon
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I really like the look of old parchment / paper and the delicate lines that appear to be hand-drawn. (are they?)

torstan
04-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! The paper background is from cgtextures.com. The lines are all hand drawn using a graphics tablet (Wacom Intuous 4) in photoshop.

Ascension
04-22-2010, 11:07 PM
I think that it's amazingly well-done but I have no idea what pulp B is supposed to look like :) Great stuff, bro.

arsheesh
04-23-2010, 12:35 AM
My hat is off to you Torstan, absolutely beautiful! Repped.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Gamerprinter
04-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Excellent, T, superb - the fonts really work for the old style. The top volcano threw me off for a bit, until I figured out it was a water-filled volcano with an island and structure on it. If there is some way to enhance the effect to its water it would be more recognizeable, a woodcut along the shore perhaps? I know you don't want to color your sea, but the lake caused a moment of confusion. If there some way to enhance the water effect, I think it would be perfect! If you a wood cut effect it might help along the island's shore as well.

Otherwise great map!

GP

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Is my browser going nuts or did this get removed? I see no thing :)

A R Frost
04-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Same here, no map to look at. 8(

Coyotemax
04-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Knowing who did the map I'm prepared to hedge my bet by saying "omg awesome!" - but like the last few people, i cannot see either :(

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Oh I figured it out!

This is the Emperor's New Map and it's TOTALLY AWESOME!! Only a fool can't see it! I don't know what I was thinking before.

PS. I am alluding to "The Emperor's New Clothes", a children's story in which an Emperor is walking around naked and everyone says how fabulous his garments are but no one will say he's naked because everybody says only a fool can't see the splendor of his garb.

PSS. The aforementioned PS is for the benefit for anyone who has never heard the story as I have no idea if it is known worldwide or not.

PSSS. I figure Torstan had to pull the image for revisions or more specific permission to share. That or some glitch is having fun.

Sapiento
04-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Well, I have no problems to see the map. Beautiful as always.

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Ok, seems it's my Firefox browser....now I wonder what I did to screw this up. If I use IE it is there.

I take it back. In IE I can see a link for the image but I can't seem to open it. Perhaps because there is two periods in the file name? In Firefox 3.6.3 this is the first time I've had any issues but I think I may have done something with my adblocker add on which shouldn't have anything to do with this.

I'm at a loss :(

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Ok, hours later, reboots and cookie clearing etc, still nothing. I'm thinking this might be something to do with us out here in the west. I am in Arizona and A R Frost is in Nevada. *shrug*

A R Frost
04-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Hmm, Same issues, I also use firfox and can't see it. Finally located IE on my machine.(Thought I had deleted all of it from my PC.) When I first brought up the post the link was there but I had to log into the forum, and now no image link in firefox or IE. Strange.
@Jaxilon- Do you use COX for your internet also?

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Exactly same thing and yes I use COX for my IP. Maybe they are the culprit here....the swine!

Ramah
04-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Firefox here. No image for me either.

If I hadn't seen all the other replies then I would have just assumed Torstan had pulled the image due to his client's wishes but as some seem to be able to see it.... :S Very stange.

Steel General
04-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Tried both Firefox and IE and no love - can't see the image. :(

torstan
04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I can still see it through firefox and certainly haven't removed it. I'll abuse the img tags for a while whilst I figure out why it's not displaying:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/112/5/1/Volcano_Island_by_torstan.jpg

You can find it on devArt here:
http://torstan.deviantart.com/art/Volcano-Island-161619761

There are a lot of light fleshy tones in the paper texture that I used. Perhaps it's being blocked? I assure you that the map is perfectly safe for viewing by all age groups!

Thanks to all for the compliments - even from those that have not seen it - I'm looking at you jax. Gp - thanks for the notes. That's certainly an issue with the lack of colour. I'll have another look at that.

Ramah
04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I can see the image in that last post. Very nice indeed. Beautiful. :)

I clicked on the first page to see if anything had changed, and while it still doesn't show up I did see a text link show up for a split second in the post before it inexplicably disappeared on me. Very strange.

mearrin69
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Really, really nice map. Have some rep.
M

Steel General
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, that looks fantastic Torstan!

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I too can see your last image. That is a very nice map. I think it looks very much like a volcano. I was wondering what the little "I" or "T" is near the bottom of the Southern volcano was. It looks like a vertical bar that is about 1/16 of an inch long.

Also, this blank images issue is happening on a number of other threads now as well. For instance several of the current mapping challenge. Here is a link to the one Ascension was working on: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9875-April-Challenge-Entry-No-title-yet <-- I can see the dark brown box that says "attachment" but there is no image.

On the other hand, Zar Peter's challenge entry is just fine. I can view Muggeria to my hearts content.

So what's the difference?

Being the kind of person who thinks in worst case scenarios I start to wonder bad things, like does our file server have some issues. Then again it seems others are having no problems. It's all very strange.

A R Frost
04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Great looking map Torstan, But what else would we see from you?
I'm also having the same issues Jaxilon, As bad as COX Communications is I wouldn't but it past them to mess with my addiction of looking at wonderful maps.

torstan
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I think its a problem on the CG side. We're looking into it.

Thanks for the compliments and the rep - much appreciated!

@Jaxilon - I don't see those features you mention? I didn't put them in there intentionally so they're probably just flukes.