PDA

View Full Version : World Map WIP

Yandor
04-30-2010, 01:23 AM
So after hearing that people work in a huge scale (haha the 10,000x10,000) I figured why the heck not, lets see what I can pull together with that big of a size....

Anyways I'm not too sure I like the "square" shape, nor the actual size or shape of the continents.... So in general I'll probably revamp it and try again...

However, two questions come up before I even take another stab at it, one does the Water work? (on the right bottom corner of all the land it shows a small highlight... that should probably go around the whole landmass but yeah, change or leave it?) Also the continents seem a bit too... Craggy? I can't think of a better word, now don't worry about the inner lakes those will all disappear, but I just want to know if there should be less cragginess around the continents or if its fine... Please let me know!

I added a stroke so you could actually see the definition of the land

Daelin
04-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I think you're right about the landmasses being too "craggy". That there is that many scattered islands around every continent seems unrealistic. I'm guessing you've been using cloud renders to generate land? I think you need to manually edit the results, if you want something more believable.
And the white "drop shadow" on the land is also noticeable. Is that a layer style, or could you solve the problem by moving the water layer a few pixels up and to the left? Then you might have highlight around all the land.

Yandor
04-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Thank you for the reply, I'm revamping (pretty much starting over) the map, and I've been using clouds yes, but I've never come across this much "craggy" business when doing them, but than again I've never messed with such a large image size before, so new problems and need to solve in different ways.

As for the water, I tried to do a "shallow" around the land, but it turned into a "drop shadow" effect (weird) but its connected with the layer, so I'll just have to mess with it a little.

Thanks again, I'll get a new image up here soon.

alizarine
04-30-2010, 04:05 AM
I know you're revamping this, but I actually quite like that water effect - it looks a bit bright when viewed in the small preview size, but when I opened it up and zoomed in to the full size it was a fantastic feature. I work pretty large for my maps and one thing I've tried (that works pretty well) when fixing that island problem is after playing with the levels - if that doesn't fix the problem - I don't fill in parts I want to be land but rather cut and paste sections of the clouds that have a good edge for a coast line. I'll set up just the coast of the landmasses with edges of "leveled clouds" (that does not sound like a cloud filter that was adjusted with levels). I end by just taking a brush and filling in the interior. No extra islands I don't want, and no weirdly placed interior lakes either. I'm not sure exactly how you're creating your map, but that might be one way to take care of the island problem. It's a lot more labor intensive though, although it leaves a lot of room for being picky (which is what I am, so it works for me ^.^ ). I'd love to see your revamp!

- Alizarine

Diamond
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I agree with Alizarine about the water; when I first glanced at it in the preview thumbnail I was like "ugh", but on full view it looks pretty cool. And once you add in all your terrain features it will probably balance out quite nicely.

Yandor
04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
I agree with Alizarine about the water; when I first glanced at it in the preview thumbnail I was like "ugh", but on full view it looks pretty cool. And once you add in all your terrain features it will probably balance out quite nicely.

haha glad I wasn't the only one with the "ugh" feeling, I did the exact same thing, cause while making the land I was at 6.25% view... haha it looked just like the thumbnail but when I zoomed in to 100% it looked fine, I'll incorporate the ocean next picture

Alizarine thanks for the tips, I had to go through manually, and edit the coast line, took a lot long than I thought but eh it turned out rather nice.

Well heres the revamp, tell me what you think of the shape of the continent, also I think there are too many little island things, but maybe thats just me let me know!

Yandor
04-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Well made a little more progress, from here on out its mountain and forest laying!

The ice caps need some work but seems to be coming a long ok

alizarine
04-30-2010, 07:50 PM
That is a fine looking map ^.^ Still liking that ocean effect at full-view. When in full view (since thumbnails always make maps look 'bleh') the land texture/pattern looks nice - I'm sure it'll work with other features and won't look so much like a pattern once there's mountains, forests and other stuff in there ^.^ I'd say there are a LOT of islands in the center of the map; could be a good story feature, of course. One thing I'd say about the mountain in the polar/white areas is that they feel a bit big right now, and if they're going to go to the edge of the water, maybe creating some cliffs to show a drop off or clean up the area so the mountain 'lowers down' into the water. Otherwise great progress - definitely something to keep an eye on.

- Alizarine

Diamond
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Maybe try the map without that continent(?) to the north of all those islands. As it is now, you don't really have any oceans, just a lot of smallish seas. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just feels a bit crowded to me.

Yandor
04-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Diamond I hear ya, and thanks I was wondering what seemed... off and crowded is the best way to put it Tell me if either of these two examples is kind of what you were talking about, or were you referring to the northern ice cap thingy?

Alizarine thanks again for the comments, and I think this time around on the ocean is better than the first one!

So 3 ideas popped into mind when diamond said it was too crowded, #1 and #2 ideas were theres two images, and idea #3 one of those, with the removal of the stretched northern ice cap... Ideas anyone?

Yandor
04-30-2010, 11:32 PM
well I just answered my own question mostly... I decided (after uploading the image to Google Earth, and just seeing how it wraps and what not) that Image #1 I like the most, and that both Polar regions are mostly fine (maybe a little small in some areas so it super stretches) but in all it came together rather well. And while in Google Earth, I realized that if I was using earth dimensions for scale... the continent on the left would be the size of All of Eurasia... So from like the tip of Ireland to pretty much Indonesia would equal the length haha had a good laugh when I did that.... Anyways so I decided to scale it after mars, a much better fit if you ask me. That same continent is roughly the same size as the Americas.

Diamond
04-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I'm digging #1 also - good choice! :D

Yandor
05-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Alright so reworked the land thanks to the observations of Diamond (thanks again) so I'm back to the same point as before.

I realize that the image quality got dropped due to the size of the image (sorry about that) but I think I may play with oceans a little more, the vast ocean in the middle seems to sit a little funny to me seems to be darker than it should be... maybe thats just me and I've been looking at it too long.... Opinions?

Edit: So I just double checked my work (redid the process) and the shorelines are darker than normal, and does change it just enough. Still might try messing with the deeper ocean, but I'll wait for ideas first.

Yandor
05-01-2010, 03:28 PM
So I've cut up the main continents to work on them, this is just a "test" I guess I wanted to get a few opinions on if these mountains & forest work, I think they are personally a bit TOO big, but this is suppose to be like the Himalayas, the continent is split into two plates converging together... so let me know! Thanks!

Diamond
05-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't think it's necessarily too big, but since this is a continent, maybe those mountains could use more detail. Right now, they look to have too few offshoot ranges; it looks more like a small section of a larger whole. If that's continent size, it makes it looks as if you've got individual mountains that are three or four hundred miles wide.

Yandor
05-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the Comments Diamond... So I messed around a little bit more, only did the right side of the continent, but I think I'm liking how this is turning out.

surprisingly I was able to save it and upload it in full resolution so tell me what you guys think!

Diamond
05-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Yep, I'm liking that too. The mountains are looking much better; adding those lower peaks so the whole thing blends better really helped. The only thing I'd suggest is maybe lightening the color or opacity of the forests a little bit; they're extremely dark (at least on my monitor) right now.

pasis
05-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Yep you are defenately on a right track here. And it's very good that your forest has a right scale and is not too large compared to the mountains (which happens quite easily and often). Repped.

Yandor
05-03-2010, 04:10 AM
@ Diamond thanks for the input on the forests, hopefully I lightened them up enough

@ Pasis, thanks! I was trying to get scale right in this one, big pain in the butt if you ask me, but hey seems to be paying off I think.

Anyways heres the latest update, not all the icons are placed, but I'm calling it a night, so tell me what you think!

I think I may of over did the amount of forests (actual "size" of the forests), and I may change the stroke on the icons, seems to be a bit strong... but do tell me what I can improve on, I'll be adding in rivers, and finishing up the icons.

Diamond
05-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Now THAT is dead-on beautiful forest. Any chance of posting the pattern and/or method you used there?

The whole thing is really coming together and looking really good. Keep it up, and repped!

arsheesh
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes indeed, this is looking quite nice Yandor. I like the way the mountains turned out as well. Great job all around. Repped.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Yandor
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Sure thing Diamond:

All of this is done in Photoshop, so if you have gimp or something hopefully you can figure out how to convert it =D

3 layers are used, 2 with textures one a color augmenter.

1. Top layer is a fill color of 6f8463 Put on the layers blend mode to Hard light

2. Middle Layer is the actual Forest Texture of it all, use the Forest Texture Image (the darker green one Image #2). put a layer style on it with these clicked on Shadow Drop, Size & Distance 2 and opacity 100%. Bevel and Emboss 150 depth, size 4, highlight mode Soft Light 100% opacity, Shadow mode Overylay 100% opacity. a Contour, just left default, also a Texture using one of photoshops own patterns called Granite, I set scale to 30, depth +100% (that might be default...) And lastly a Color Overlay with a color of 3cb878 blend mode set to Color 80% opacity. Now set the layer blend mode to hard light

3. Bottom Layer, I use a texture called Ground Dry Moss I think Genetica produced it. Anyways I uploaded it here, called Under Forest, (Image #1) Now apply a layer style again, and this time just a Pattern Overlay blend mode Color Burn, opacity 50% and use the Granite Pattern again, set scale to 30%. Now set layers blend mode to soft light 80%

That should do it as for whats really needed. I use layer masks to create the middle layer, and just do a selection and go and color the same selection of the forest layer mask to the other 2 layers (above and below it) so in reality I'm just coloring on one layer mask and coping that same layer mask over to the other 2 layers.

As for how I actually "painted" them on, I used some old grundge brushes that are around 300px size, they were I think once called a "Dust Grundge Brush" cause its a very low pressure brush (meaning its a very low opacity brush as it is, with spotted 100% opacity areas in the brush)

Edit: I added an example of the kind of brush, heck can just use that brush. (its in a .psd file, all you have to do is add it to a brush preset) and added the granite texture

Diamond
05-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks very much! I've been trying to figure out a way to add good forests to maps made using Ascension's Atlas tut, and I think this might do the trick...

Yandor
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
ok another update, I really like how this all panned out., but needless to say I'm enjoying myself while making this, its super simple, and easily duplicated, so anyways tell me what you think of it all, and please answer these questions!!

Three questions arise....

1. Does the border/kingdom coloring work?
2. Should I add rivers?
3. How much should I really label?

arsheesh
05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I like the one on the right. The bright border coloring seemed a bit too jarring to me. Perhaps if the colors were more subdued. All in all though I really like this map.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Yandor
05-04-2010, 02:01 AM
I like the one on the right. The bright border coloring seemed a bit too jarring to me. Perhaps if the colors were more subdued. All in all though I really like this map.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Thanks I tried to tone them down a bit, I'll post it up again when I get a little more done.

Anyways back to the questions, heres a VERY FAST (not well done) rivers, should I do them?

Coyotemax
05-04-2010, 04:34 AM
They look good to me...

Natai
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Very nice map. The forests are excellent, so much so that I'm thinking of trying out your method on my current project. (Though I woe to think of redoing the forests that I just got to the point of being acceptable.) The rivers look fine to me as well. Very nicely done.

Yandor
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
CM- Thanks, I'll be going through the map and adding in rivers

Arsheesh- heres another shot at the borders, and thanks again for the advice

Natai- Thanks for the comments, and it really is a simple method, once you get the layer styles in, all you do is paint really =D

Anyways, just tweaking some things here and there. I decided to add some names, and what not, somewhat of a smaller update, but I always was having issues with the mountains, why I don't know but I "retextured/colored" them and what not, so tell me what one you like better. And I'll be honest it just might be the crappy job of the snow on the mountains...

Natai
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I think option a with the darker shadows fits the map better. At the same time it seems to make the map feel smaller in scale compared to the other option. It also makes the mountain ranges seem more foreboding/impassable. Basically, it depends on what sort of feel you want to establish for your world.

Diamond
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Yep, I agree with Natai. Also, definitely add rivers; it just wouldn't look the same without 'em!

alizarine
05-05-2010, 01:26 AM
I should'a been keeping a closer eye on this, Yandor! Gotta say the rivers a great addition to that continent map, and personally, I like labels ^.^ I'm trying to get a good regional map into Illustrator to add a lot of roads and tiny labels; but of course, to each his own. For a whole continent a lot of labels might look a little overwhelming, whereas if you get to a national map or something about that size, more labels would be appropriate. Definitely label big rivers, important sites (battles, temples, capitals and big cities, &c. - maybe even major trade routes/roads, if that's appropriate). Bear in mind what you want to use the map for too - this looks like it's leaning towards geographic rather than a (straight up) political map, although you've started labeling non-geographic stuff like cities/capitals. Obviously you don't have to just label the geographic stuff, but too much "political labeling" might be lost in all that gorgeous geography ^.^

- Alizarine

Yandor
05-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments! And Alizarine I'll keep much of that in mind when it comes to labeling more things, I was just thinking of labeling the cities and capitals, and sticking in some roads (maybe could use the trade routes one too) but if and when I get to the more "regional" map where I'll try and cut up the continent alittle more I'll start labeling more things.

Anyways heres another small update, donno if I really like how the rivers "cut" into the forest, may need to tinker with it a bit to get a good effect, but I just did the right side of the map, and will do the left side (leaving the beast of the middle alone for now) Anyways tell me what you think!

Oh and I messed with the snow on the peaks, I like this newer one but I still think I need to tweak it a bit more as well.

alizarine
05-05-2010, 02:07 AM
This is coming along beautifully ^.^ And yeah, I was starting to think a bit too regional with those label comments. I really like your rivers, actually - they're not cleanly cutting through the forest but rather to wind through the trees, which is great. Personally, the icons feel a bit ... clean? plastic? I'm not really sure how to describe them, but while they look fantastic they don't really fit perfectly into the map. Maybe it's the stroke - color, size, I'm not sure. The colors of the icons and the shapes are excellent - easy to tell apart, but not so wildly different they should be on different maps. Maybe once I get some sleep those icons will fit better ^.^

- Alizarine

P.S. noticing that scale marker, I had a sudden revelation regarding size on my own maps, so thanks ^.^ Good luck with the other continents, when you get around to 'em!

Diamond
05-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Looking good, man, looking good. I like the rivers, especially how they cut through the forests - that looks neat.

I tend to agree with alizarine about the icons, however... if this is a continent, they seem way way too big. They seem to be icons more suited to a smaller regional map where one could expect to see towns and villages, not on a continental map. Also, I think on your key it should be 'site', not 'sight'. :D

Yandor
05-05-2010, 03:05 AM
hmm I see what your saying, so what if I dropped the villages, and left the town and cities, maybe scaling them down a bit? Think that might do the trick? I'll mess with it a bit in the morning... but I will tinker with it, but in all I kind of like how it is, cause I don't plan on their being more villages or towns or anything then whats on their now... eh I don't know, any suggestions?

Yandor
05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Well while trying to figure out how to adjust the icons (didn't run into anything worth while, I'll keep toying) but I decided to do something a little outside the box... eh I was just bored and needed something else to focus on, so this is my... whats the right word... intermission! haha

arsheesh
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey, now that's a really cool idea Vandor! I like it allot actually. The bright colors of your map make an interesting contrast with the parchment pages. I think this might be an idea worth pursuing further. My only comment would be that the image of the book, particularly the leather binding and gold decor are a bit out of focus. Otherwise looks good.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Steel General
05-05-2010, 03:26 PM
That turned out quite nicely...well done!

Diamond
05-05-2010, 03:33 PM
That's a very ingenious idea! I like it. But yeah, the details on the book binding/outer parts could be more crisp.

As for the icons: first and foremost, you have to like it. If it works for you, then by all means stay with it. But since you asked, yeah, you might try scaling down their size(s) just a bit and see how that looks.

Yandor
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Well thanks everyone for the great comments, didn't think my little 15 min intermission would actually get approval but hey guess the dumb little things can make all the difference right?

Anyways I took Diamonds advice, and shrunk the icons a bit, its a hard sell, I like both of them... (larger and smaller) but I think I'll stay with the smaller. Also added more rivers on the left side, still have 2 small and 1 large mountain range to go!

oops forgot the image, oh and I added in some roads between major cities

Diamond
05-05-2010, 06:23 PM
To me, that looks much better. Imagine if you'd added the roads with the larger icons? There would've been too much stuff crammed in there; now you can still see all that gorgeous terrain underneath.

alizarine
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm agreeing with Diamond here - the icons look a lot better at that size, and you can fit more stuff on (like those roads). The roads are looking great too, they seem just slightly 'in' the ground instead of just slapped on. Dunno if it would work at this scale, but maybe for roads that aren't really 'clean' or well-cared for a bit of fading along the edges might integrate those roads more into the landscape. They look really good right now tho', and that might be for a smaller map.

One thing I'm noticing about the icons is that now they're smaller, maybe the stroke should be a point or two smaller as well - particularly on those orange stars with all the tiny points. The points were getting a wee bit lost in the stroke, it felt like. Looks just great tho', so it might just be a personal thing ^.^

- Alizarine

Yandor
05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Hey thanks for the comments Diamond and Alizarine, I do hold your guys opinion rather high, cause you've helped me through this quite a bit so thanks

As for the stroke, I messed with it, but wasn't too happy about the results (making the stroke smaller, just made the icons look way weird) so I decided to tackle it a bit different used a outer glow and put it black, so its still really close to the original stroke, but its a bit smaller, its still way subtle of a change(only did it to the orange icons) but thanks Alizarine

So everytime I actually sit down and mess with the map, I always push off wanting to do the rivers... why I really don't know its really not that hard, but as I was doing another mountain of rivers, I thought lets try the sea routes, and if I'm doing see, maybe show the "control" each kingdom somewhat has, anyways let me know if they even work or not.

So another small update I guess... but here it is!

p.s. the more and more I see the sea trade things, I'm not liking them... meh I'll just wait to see what you guys think

moutarde
05-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm late to the party here, but I'm really liking how this is looking so far Yandor :) One thing that struck me though, is the mountain ridges kind of jump out as being overly straight... I'm not sure what your method was for creating them, but a simple Filter->Distort->Ripple at about 20% would probably take a bit of that straightness out. And even if you leave the mountains as they are, well, it'll still look good ;)

Yandor
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Moutarde, I'll give that a shot, and see the results, but I was thinking the same things in some of the mountains (might of just been my lack of patience when I was brushing/painting them in, cause some are way better then others....) Anyways thanks for the tip.

Diamond
05-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm not digging those sea trade route lines; again, just like your original icons size, they look too big and chunky to me. I do like the idea of extending the countries' borders to show maritime control.

Also, what about erasing those bits of map that protrude into your legend box, like that border and that bit of land in the top left corner, and especially that ginormous trade line that cuts right through the middle of the box?

Yandor
05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
thanks diamond, I'm going to trash the trade routes stuff, and I'll keep the maritime borders, that little touch I did like, Thanks again diamond, this is near completion, and I couldn't of done it with out your guys help, so thanks again!

arsheesh
05-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Trade routes aside, this map has turned out quite nice Yandor. I love the vivid colors. I also agree that reducing the size of the legend icons was a good move.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

alizarine
05-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Definitely liking those icons - may have been lack of sleep that was making the stroke look funny ^.^ Love the borders indicating maritime control, and I agree that the sea-trade routes are a bit clunky. They are, however, a cool idea, just maybe for a different map - one that focuses on trade routes or something? If/when you do that, maybe a dotted or dashed line ... I dunno if you're using photoshop, but I think I've got a dashed-line brush you could try. This is looking good - can't wait to see some other continents!

- Alizarine

Yandor
05-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the help again guys for all the great comments, this will probably be the last update, before I post the final, anything I should really adjust? I'm going to finish the main mountain in the middle with rivers and put a little bit of variation in the forests again decided to hold off until I'm done with the rivers =D, and I think that should do really do it!

Once more thanks!

oops just noticed when I moved the legend over I moved the name background too, forgot they were on the same layer... eh I'll fix that

alizarine
05-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Good looking, Yandor! The only, very minor critique/comment is that the font you used for Haelith, while beautiful, is a wee bit hard to read. I dunno, maybe it's just me ... I love that font, but for every letter it might be a bit too hard to read? Otherwise, gorgeously fantastic map, & I'm looking forward to seeing those other continents from that world map! And some regional maps, perhaps? I'll be on the look-out for the finished piece!

Yandor
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Final Version of Haelith found Here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10274-Haelith&p=110928#post110928)! I'll be continuing other continents here soon.

Diamond
05-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Outstanding job, dude. It looks gorgeous. I don't know if I mentioned it, but those rivers are some of the best I've seen on here, especially the way they track thrugh the forests - I like how you can't really see the rivers there per se, but they cut into the vegetation so its immediately clear that a river is there. That's just cool.

(I was gonna rep you again, but it seems I can't again just yet. ;))

Yandor
05-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Wow Diamond, thank you for the praise!! And thanks, and to think I wasn't going to put in rivers haha, thanks again for that (Alizarine too) It does make it a lot better!

Yandor
05-09-2010, 04:09 AM
So decided to take the easy route for a second, and mess with the Polar regions, once I get past these, I'm going to start another thread with a new continent... or should I just keep this one going? eh anyways tell me how I can make this better!

The original is rather "long" so I made a smaller one first... and the other I think is too long to upload so guess we'll have to deal with the smaller one... Also quality was reduced...

Gidde
05-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Is that latest one a piece of an equirectangular map? If so, you may want to do some serious stretching. It looks fantastic as it is, but if it's equirectangular, the map is approaching infinite horizontal scale at the bottom. Here's a slice off of earth as an example, in equirectangular and also in a less distortive projection:

Yandor
05-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Is that latest one a piece of an equirectangular map? If so, you may want to do some serious stretching. It looks fantastic as it is, but if it's equirectangular, the map is approaching infinite horizontal scale at the bottom. Here's a slice off of earth as an example, in equirectangular and also in a less distortive projection:

Gidde your my hero, haha I for the life of me didn't know the "term" for the bottom and top parts of a map the "Equirectangular" bit... I just made the caps flat (no distortion) cause I really had no idea on how to... well make it look right... Any tips, tricks, places to look, anything to point me in the right direction on fixing it?

Gidde
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Hmmm. Don't know of places to look, but motion blurring, displacement, and the smudge tool would probably be helpful. Although the first thing I'd do if it were my map is probably to cut out half of what you've got and stretch the other half to cover the distance (making sure you've still got matching edges). Then use the smudge, motion blur, etc. to get rid of the pixelation. Of course, this is out of my head, no guarantee it'll look right afterward ;)

Yandor
05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
So say I cut the ends off a "good" distance toward the middle, I would then distort the very very bottom of the image to the edge correct? I did a 2 second thing so I can get the idea of what your talking about (image) but two questions come to mind, how would I go about making the transition from water to ice look better instead of just a blurred line? and if I were to maybe sphere the bottom of it (using the polar coordinate stuff in photoshop) and then do the distortion would that be a better idea? maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way...

ok scratch question #1 I know how to solve that one

Gidde
05-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Well, we're working with different software, so I'm not sure if photoshop has something that would work, but I'd try robA's wispy displace technique in Gimp (for the transition from ice to water). It's a displace map with the map set to a noise layer, 20x -20y then -20x 20y. Although what you have is decently wispy already, I think. A good test is to wrap it onto a sphere afterwards and see if it looks right. I've always found it so difficult to do the poles in an equi. projection that I usually give up and use a different one ;)

Yandor
05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
hahah gotcha, but what if I did something like this? don't worry about the water, but yeah does that work better? (yet again done very quickly but yeah)

Yandor
05-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Sorry for the double post But I think this last one will do it for me.

Gidde
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Ahhhh, yes. That's perfect, Yandor.

Yandor
05-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks again Gidde for that advice, and I finished up the other cap as well using mostly the same technique (was rather hard since it was pure experimental, and didn't remember the steps =D) Anyways I was running through some of my old maps and found one in this similar style thought I'd go in again and save the styles for future use and use it on this world map here, whatcha think?

haha forgot to make the ocean coloring more "smooth" eh I'll fix it another time!

Gidde
05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm not all that fond of the yellow, but I'll tell ya that pole stretching looks awesome. Your coastlines have just the right amount of fjord-type stuff, not too much, not too little. Looks very believable! I also like the coastline look you have there. It's a nice sturdy base; now lets see some elevation ;)

Edit: My dislike of yellow is a general, personal dislike of the color yellow, if you like the color I see no logical reason not to keep it!