PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] City of Gullside

AidyBaby
10-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

My first city map - have a look and see what you think. It's only a test and hasn't much detail (and the names are totally uninspired). Done in PS. Hope you like...

--AidyBaby--

ravells
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
If you call that 'not much detail' you need your head examined. I think it's a stunner.

I love:

The texture you've used for the forests
The texture you've used for the sea
The organic design of the city - well..ok the building shapes are similar but there are so many of them, it must have required a lot of patience (which I certainly don't have) to draw them all.

The only thing I'd say is out of keeping with the style you've used is the pixelly texture of the grasslands (but that would depend on the scale of printing - it would look good at a smaller scale). I think it's utterly superb and am at a loss as to suggestions as to how you could improve it.

AidyBaby
10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks! I'm glad you like it, I wasn't sure whether it would come out OK when I aimlessly started out...

You're definitely right about the grass texture. I've updated the map to take on your comments - hopefully you'll be able to see a less 'zoomed' texture (and therefore less pixely). I've attached two new versions, one with the poster edges filter run on all except the grass and the other without the poster edges filter run at all.

Personally I like the poster edges filter, I think it gives the map a more hand drawn feel rather than the crispness of a photoshop creation. Don't know how you feel about it.

With regards to drawing the buildings, it wasn't that painstaking - I simply drew a building pattern, dropped it onto the map and masked out the buildings I didn't want. Much quicker and that's why it's slightly repetitious...

The trees are hand drawn with a stipple brush and the water makes use of the glass / ocean filter.

AidyBaby
10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Here's the building pattern I made and used (all welcome to steal if it floats your boat!)...

RPMiller
10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I just want to say... Wow! I want to know everything you did to create this map start to finish.

AidyBaby
10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Hmmm, I'd post the .psd except it's 51MB. What I can do though is attach an extract of the file, cropped down. It'll give you an idea of how it is put together that may help, assuming you've got photoshop of course.

I think a future tutorial is in order.

pyrandon
10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree with RP: this is an excellent map. Wonderful in most every way.

I also agree with you that the filtered map is much better. Not only does it have a "hand drawn" feel, but it is so rich and organic, plus it equalizes the separate features into accord.

Nicely done!!

RobA
10-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Very nice!

Did you get some inspiration from Don's tutorial, or are these new techniques? (Just asking, cause they seem to have a similar "feel".)

Also- how did you get the buildings coloured differently (but completely)?

-Rob A>

Torq
10-19-2007, 02:17 AM
I love the map, the colours the style and the feel. Its great. The "poster edges filter" seems to create a very similar effect to Gimp's cartoon filter. My personal view is that using a filter like that tends to detract from the uniqueness of the map, because its very recognisable. I atually like the map without the filter, although the features do look slightly less equalised. I would suggest trying the filter with less black and slightly less intensity. This may merge the features and yet still be subtle enough so that the filter isn't quite as obvious.

Great work.

Torq

Faide
10-19-2007, 04:02 AM
That's a fantastic map!

How did you get the texture on the forest and sea?

Karl

AidyBaby
10-19-2007, 04:14 AM
Did you get some inspiration from Don's tutorial, or are these new techniques? (Just asking, cause they seem to have a similar "feel".)

Also- how did you get the buildings coloured differently (but completely)?

I did have a look at Don's tutorial (fantastic, btw) cos I wanted to do a city map for my campaign. I couldn't get the buildings to work as I wanted them though, so the map really started out as an exercise on how to do buildings. That's why I made the buildings pattern. The rest I made up from scratch except the dirt texture - can't remember where this came from, probably RPtools Dorpond or another.

The water effect is shown here in the RPtools forum:http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2103

I think the poster edges filter (the idea of which did come from Don's tut) is a love it/hate type of thing. Personally I like it, but I can see why others might not.

Edit - forgot to mention that the different building colours are simply several hue/saturation adjustment layers arranged in a clipping group with the building pattern and then manually painted to colour random buildings.

RPMiller
10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
I really want to see a tutorial of the process. The file is great and all, but having a tutorial that walks through the process is even better.

By the way, there seem to be some extra 'u's in some of your words.:twisted:;):lol:

Joshua_101
10-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I really want to see a tutorial of the process. The file is great and all, but having a tutorial that walks through the process is even better.

Agreed... even just a tutorial of how you did the forests because they seem perfect. I've been trying to find a way that I like best for forests and this map takes the cake!

Arcana
10-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Also Aidy...check the PM I sent ya.

Naryt
10-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Congrats on having a Featured Map!

Absolutely wonderful map!

RPMiller
10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
A very well deserved honor!

pyrandon
10-19-2007, 10:45 PM
You completely deserve the feautured map laurel. This was a great map.

I was also jubilant when I read in your write up for that page "I intend to do a tutorial on how I made the map"! That is awesome--can't wait to see it. This will be a big asset to any map makers out there! Thanks in advance!

Once again, congrats!

NeonKnight
10-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Indeed....Congrats!

Torq
10-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Congrats, well deserved! By the way RP you are missing a few "u"s in your last post.:)

ravells
10-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Congrats Aidy Baby!

AidyBaby
10-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks guys - I'm gonna like it in here. It's a lovely shade of colo(u)r here... ;)

RobA
10-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Congrats for the Featured Map status!

We all agreed you deserved it!

-Rob A>

AidyBaby
10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I've posted the tutorial in the Tutorial board.
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1035

leonid
11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
AidyBaby,

I think I'm a little late in coming to this thread, but I wanted to say, "Great Map!" as well, and to ask a question:

Could you go into more detail about how you made that building pattern? I read through your wonderful tutorial, but I'd love some more information on that aspect of your map.

Thanks and congratulations once again!

-Leonid

AidyBaby
11-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Cheers Leonid. I made the building pattern quite simply in photoshop, here's how I did it:

Create a new square document (I picked 800x800px). Make sure it is transparent.

Use the polygonal lasso tool (in 'Add to Selection' mode) to manually draw your buildings. Draw lots of variations and don't worry about the corners not being 90deg angles - just do it by eye. Keep a distance from the image edge. Draw some circles with Eliptical marquee tool, etc. When you get bored of drawing marquees, alt-backspace to fill the selections with your forground colour (say black). Press ctrl-D to clear the selections and draw some more building outlines. Repeat ad-nauseum.

Now to make it tiling; use the offset filter (located under 'other' filters) to move the image horizontally and vertically (make sure 'wrap around' is selected). I generally pick values of around half the height and width of the image. Now you can see a gap that needs filling with buildings. Add some new buildings and you're done - again keep again from the edges. Offset once more to check.

I can't remember if I've posted the pattern before but here it is anyway.

Good luck...

One more thing, I'm not sure I'm gonna use the pattern method for my buildings in future maps (or I may use it sparingly) as I think the hand drawn method gives much better results (albeit painstaking) especially when you integrate roads.

--AidyBaby--

leonid
11-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks, AidyBaby! I tried what you said and quickly realized that what I was missing was artistic ability. Yikes! I've spent years hand-drawing buildings on city maps and am always seeking an easier way. That said, I guess you get out of it that which you put in. :)

Back to the drawing board...

-L