PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] The Lands of Todes Grube

Boslok
05-01-2010, 03:52 PM
A friend of mine asked me to redo his map that he's been using for the past 30 years in his D&D campaigns, I happily obliged him having spent many a night enjoying the campaign as a player. (If you care to see the his original map its in the WIP thread)

Having just discovered the guild and being awed by the wealth of information and talented artists. I decided for this map I'd specifically use some new techniques I was reading over in the tutorials sections. In particular I used Midgardsormor's clone technique for the all of my landscape icons. A simple, yet effective method, I almost feel silly not having thought of it myself. I also used RobA's weathered paper tutorial to spice up the background textures (thanks for the grunge brush links in that tutorial) I also picked up little things here and there just from looking over all the talent that keeps being posted daily, too much to even keep up with!

All the elements are hand drawn and scanned, a few are brushes from drawings. I used PS CS3 to put it all together and create the textures. Used a old version of Micromedia Freehand (I really need to update that) to create the crests.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, critiques and help in the WIP thread.

Daelin
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow, this is great. Everything is clearly defined and real easy on the eyes. And the details like the legend and cool-looking compass rose fit in quite well. The only thing I can think of that could improve this map is some icons that look a little more hand-drawn. The current ones are fine and easily readable, but maybe a little too clean-looking, compared to the rest of the map.

Anyway, nice work! :D

ravells
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
It's a funny thing, but everytime I think I've seen every variation of those particular forest and mountain styles, someone comes up with another one. It's lovely (you should bring yourself to profantasy's attention - they might be interested in this), I love the clean chiselled mountains and the classic forest look. Really nice stuff.

Soixante
05-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Beautiful map!

Coyotemax
05-02-2010, 08:57 AM
That is a very fine map. I'd love to rep you again, but I already repped in the WIP and the forum wants me to spread the love :P

Antheon
05-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I agree with Daelin: Hand-drawn looking symbols would improve this magnificient piece of art! I really love your compass rose and after seeing this map I feel the urge to play D&D again. : )

Boslok
05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.
I'm working on some hand-drawn city/town/castle symbols for a map down the road, I'm still not sure on how I want to approach them yet.

after seeing this map I feel the urge to play D&D again. : )

You should! its a great game.

Dogzilla
05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
It's a great map.

Diamond
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd rep you again for it, but I already did. :D Suffice it to say, awesome work. I can't really think of anything at all I'd change on it; it looks fantastic.

arsheesh
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Well done! This is a beautiful map. Repped.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Boslok
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks

I though I'd add this since someone mentioned they like the mazelands in the WIP. I guess it qualifies as a map :) It's a page from my journal.

torstan
05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I love the style of these. Thanks for the bump - I missed this before. Great work!

matt_s
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Really nice, great style!

Coyotemax
05-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Well done on being Featured! Well deserved :)

Gidde
05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Grats on the featured map!

Boslok
05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys, I am deeply honored.

RobA
05-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys, I am deeply honored.

Shame on me, I forgot to give you an award!

Taken care of. Congrats!.

-Rob A>

mearrin69
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah, congrats on the map! Have some rep!
M

MarkusTay
06-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Repped you in the other thread - beautiful map.

I was wondering about your map symbols - those yours? Mind if I borrow them? I'd like to turn them into vectors.

Once again, great job.

Boslok
06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Repped you in the other thread - beautiful map.

I was wondering about your map symbols - those yours? Mind if I borrow them? I'd like to turn them into vectors.

Once again, great job.

Thanks, yes they are mine and you may borrow them, enjoy!
This thread may help http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10221-TG-Map-Elements-(Free)

bobslayer
06-28-2010, 01:21 AM
This is really beautiful, great style

theactionpoint
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Is there any chance of getting a tutorial on the basics of this style map? This is PRECISELY the kind of map I want to create... and I can't figure out how.

Lauwe
09-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Love it! :D

Steel General
09-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Is there any chance of getting a tutorial on the basics of this style map? This is PRECISELY the kind of map I want to create... and I can't figure out how.

It appears to be a symbol-based map, try looking in the Mapping Elements forum for brushes or other elements related to this map. You may also want o search for the WIP thread (if there is one), there may be more info there as well.

Blackmagicweaver
10-04-2010, 08:44 PM
A fantastic piece. A wonderful example of how less is more. In this case, its a lot more. I agree with the poster about the map making him wanted to play D&D. It gets the imagination going. I particularly liked the Mazelands, and how the elfin principality forest was surrounded by mountains.

Sharpe
10-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Truly, a masterpiece!

Boslok
11-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys.

Robbie73
06-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Nice map, how did you get to the name of Mt Elgon, it is a real mountian between Kenya and Uganda ;-).

Celtian
12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
This map is beautiful, I love the colors you've used and the general "look and feel" of this map is just perfect. Every time I think I've decided on the look for my map, I find another one that blows me away! Good job!

Boslok
12-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Nice map, how did you get to the name of Mt Elgon, it is a real mountian between Kenya and Uganda ;-).

Interesting!, I didn't name the mountain, a friend of mine did, he possibly got it from that particular mountain.

Boslok
12-05-2011, 12:44 AM
This map is beautiful, I love the colors you've used and the general "look and feel" of this map is just perfect. Every time I think I've decided on the look for my map, I find another one that blows me away! Good job!

Thanks! I've been quiet on the forums lately but I should have a few new maps to show, depends on when work will allow :)

Kuragiman
12-06-2011, 10:39 PM
This is a gorgeous map. I love the Mazelands area in particular. It looks like just the kind of place you don't want to be without a map. :D Keep up the killer work!

maxsdaddy
12-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Great maps like this are a gift that just keeps giving. Thanks rep