PDA

View Full Version : Smattering of old maps ca. 1981-1989

a2area
05-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Here are just a very few of the kajillion maps I made from about 11 yrs old through my younger teen years and even my first digital maps!! I can't believe i still have these. I notice one has a reference to Darokin from D&D's Mystara module.. never played but i liked that world map.

Most were made the old fashioned way with pencil and paper and there are a couple forms to show how i kept track of populations etc.. i changed them as i grew the cities so often the paper would wear through from erasing. That one form (last attach.) was made from rub on decals and what i though was a "finepoint" back then... boy was I proud of that hideous form LOL!!

These weren't for show but for my own enjoyment.. and i have notebooks and loose sheets of them stashed all over... as well as rolled up giant size and ever expanding graph paper maps i would lay on and draw for hours. Many have gone missing but I have enough to go through and muse at from time to time. Keeps me in touch with the roots of my mapping passion :)

a2area
05-03-2010, 02:42 AM
I forgot to add.. never in all my years of mapping have I ever included one golf course and was vehemently against them. They always looked so inviting and I resented not being able to use them as parks. In fact, they were often outlawed in my cities (0: Lots of malls and airports though!

Daelin
05-03-2010, 06:15 AM
omg, did you do some of those digital maps before I was even born, in 1986!? That is so far out, dude! :O

Aval Penworth
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes, yes. I was that kid too. LMAO nostalgically.

The day I discovered that wave fill you could use for oceans I was in heaven. Did you also make dungeons by filling the screen with black then erasing cave complexes, corridoors and rooms?

Diamond
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh man... that brings back some memories. :D When I was kid back in the misty twilight of the late 70s and early 80s, I used to get these big white pieces of poster-board and draw massive world maps on them. Sadly though, they all got lost and misplaced as the years passed. :(

Thanks for posting these; it's nice to see that I wasn't the only mapaholic child out there.