PDA

View Full Version : *** April 2010 Challenge Voting - Brewhome ***

Ascension
05-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Let's get ready to rumblllllleeeeee......

This month's challenge was to make a world map with at least one continent fleshed out with detail. There were to be certain cities included on the map: Heimmaerr, Thorsgrimm, Hallowdwelf, and Burdisson Brewery for the dwarves; at least one elf city/town, and at least one human port city with some extra smaller towns, and some villages for ogres. There had to be at least 13 interesting places to visit so other names were up to the cartographer. If you read the links provided on the deviant art page or website of the sponsor you would have also found names for a few other places that were included in the stories: Liverton, Mallowhedge, Freyhurst, Boar's Head, and Poorsgate. You would also have found the name of the mountain range where the dwarves live...Northpeak Range. Thus there was a little bit of homework to do but it was not mandatory so maps not including these extra places should not be graded down.

To view the entrants' maps, click here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Apr10.htm).

Remember, vote for three (3).

If you can't be with the ones you rep,
rep the ones you're with.

Ascension
05-03-2010, 11:39 PM
This is another tough vote. I went with RobA and GW for sure. There was a toss up between Imm, DJ, ZP, and the newcomer Caly. ZP's looks fun and thought out and interesting...if I gamed I'd like to play there. Imm's looks fun and light-hearted. Caly's would look nice as a cover or poster. DJ's would look nice as a wall map or cloth map for a video game so I went with him for my third choice. DN, Sap, and SG are unfinished but I'd love to see them finished. Cer's I just couldn't read, probably just an image size issue so I'm sure it's legible at a larger size. All in all, this was a great competition with everyone bringing something different to the game. Good job y'all.

Yandor
05-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Good glory thats a super tough vote, Good luck everyone!

Immolate
05-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Welp, I voted for Cereth and Calydon and pulled the trigger before reading the part about voting for three. Cereth's was a happy, chaotic good kind of map. Calydon was more neutral good, but it was such a solid effort from a newcomer that I felt it really deserved my vote. Had I realized that i had three, I would have had to decide between Ascension and RobA, both of which were technical masterpieces and beautifully done. I loved some of the classic Djekspek that Djekspek put in his map, but I think he's still looking for his mark in the satellite view map. I think a hybrid overhead view with strong 3/4 perspective elements would have made his piece unbeatable.

I managed to rep everyone who competed except Djekspek before the rep fairy took away my keys and called a cab for me. I had to leave him for last because I'd repped him too recently. I'll catch you on the back side bro.

Sapiento
05-04-2010, 01:39 AM
It was again a hard decision. My votes went to RobA, Ascension and Calydon. But the rest of the maps were great, too.
My timetable should become less dense in the next weeks, so I hope I can participate in a challenge and finish it the next time. My Centralia map is still on the 'To Do' list, even if I might drop the beer theme when I go for finishing the map.
Congrats to all cartographers who produced such fine maps!

Coyotemax
05-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I really wish that the uncompleted ones could have been competed - there were some great starts in there (Sapiento's for example - those are some very hot mountains drawn in there!).

Took me awhile to decide, I opened each in a browser window and went through each until I'd closed all but three. Excellent work by everyone who entered, I wish i could have! (but being on vacation for the first week and needing to spend time with the wife, and then coming home to three commissions at the same time plus one offering extra work beyond the map.. no way I could have found time to do this as well).

Looks like I'm going to need to strike a deal with the rep fairy :P

Greason Wolfe
05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Well, my first vote was a fairly easy one. Although I actually liked the less colorful version better, RobA's map definitely fit the bill as something I'd expect to see in a gazetteer. It got a little tougher after that, but one map that really stood out for me because of the way it matured was ZPs. He'd started with something very tongue-in-cheekish, but by the time he'd finished, it looked plausible while still holding a bit of the original fun. After that, it took a while. All the remaining maps, even those that weren't finished, looked great. Ascension, DJ and SG, as usual, banged things out with great color and textures. As a "new comer," calydon showed he was ready to run with the big dogs in these challenges, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of his work. And Cereth's map, as mentioned earlier, looked fine as well, but was a bit difficult to read, and Ascension probably hit the nail on the head with it being an image size issue. For some reason, though, Immolate's map just kept catching my eye. Maybe it was because the artistry was a bit eccentric and/or over the top (both in good ways, mind you) or maybe it was something else. I don't know what it was about that map, but whatever it was, it garnered my third vote.

Great job on everyone's part. All of this month's maps are rep worthy, so it's off to swing the bat and spread some joy!

GW

Steel General
05-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Congratz to all those who entered...

Greason Wolfe, RobA & Calydon (no particular order) got my votes.

I wish I had been able to more fully 'flesh' my entry out. It was tough even getting it to where it currently is, my 'mapping muse' seems to have a pulse - but it's "weak and thready" :)

tilt
05-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Damn good mapping.. and beer... My votes went to RobA, Ascension and Calydon - but they were all cool entries.. and I'll promise to rep as soon as I get my sword of repping back from Arcana :)

Greason Wolfe
05-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Just a quick thought here . . .

We should probably REP PlayinItCool for sponsoring this month's challenge. I know I will be, once I get my bat back. :D

GW

Zar Peter
05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
A though choice and a great competition.

Did anyone ask about the weird percentages already? I think it's a problem of the multiple choice votes. (And I'm ashamed my 10 year old son discovered this before I did)

Greason Wolfe
05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Looks like it is using the number of voters as a divisor instead of the total number of votes cast. Never noticed it before. Will have to look at some of the past votes to see if it does the same thing.

GW

Ascension
05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Yep it's the multi choice. Plus some folks only cast one vote so that messes things up as well.

mearrin69
05-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Awesome stuff. There weren't enough votes...as usual. I voted for Ascension (awesome map and want a tutorial! Liked your initial results too, though the final is cool), Djekspek (even though it wasn't quite finished I barely noticed until I spent a minute looking at it), and Calydon (nice map and I love the coins and such). Really great maps this time around, guys - I'm addressing that to everyone, not just the ones I voted for.
M

Katto
05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Normally I don't take a look a the challenge WIP's, because I like to see the goal and the results. Only when I am in doubt which one to vote for I take a look. So I was worried about the number of maps, the names which created them and three votes. But in the end it was easy to decide. Connecting beer with mapping is very difficult and I know what I am talking about (beer, hey, I am german).
My favourite is RobA's map. It would be perfect if the journey of "Boran Coalbeard" would have been sketched out. Perhaps in the form of a small diary.
Second is Ascension's map because of the details and my third choice goes to Greason Wolfe, because I have never seen this this style before and I love it.
Bravo to the other competitors.

Gidde
05-04-2010, 06:47 PM
This was a tough choice! Everyone did a fantastic job. My votes ended up going to Ascension, RobA and Djekspek (in no particular order). Honorable mention to Calydon .... I agonized on cutting this down from 4 choices to 3.

PlayinitCool
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Wow! This has been an incredible process to watch! All of the entries really are fantastic…

Sorry for the long post, but I've been trying to keep my comments to myself through the project as not to disrupt the creativity. I intended to drop some constructive comments across the board about half way through the month, but never got the time, so now I have a little catching up to do!

When considering my votes, I kind of broke the entries down into subcategories.

Ascension, calydon, cereth, and RobA all had the used and abused map idea going on. The hand written notes, spilled beer, etc all did a great job at catching the essence on the gazetteer project. I really love RobA's designs adorning the empty spaces, and the narrative top center is terrific. I think both RobA and Ascension had previous versions that would also work great as "clean" copies, probably posted online for viewing, while distributing the worn copies along with the gazetteer as Boran's personal map. Calydon's use of the coins and shadow was great, and I particularly enjoyed his oversized, hand drawn points of interest. Cereth did a great job with the map folds. His land masses kinda reminded me of the ten-thousand islands down here in south Fla, but I would have liked to have seen a higher resolution (more detail). In the end, I think it was the shape of the land masses, and the hand drawn feel that lead me to vote for Ascensions piece out of these.

The next "category" in my mind was the partial globe / isometric views submitted by DevinNight and Greason Wolf. I actually couldn't help myself, and I'm sure most would disagree with my selection here, but something about DevinNight's sketch just grabbed me. I guess looking back on it, the land mass is probably too small, and it probably doesn't fit the style of a gazetteer, but I couldn't help voting for it. I am very curious how this one would come out when finished. I know GW put a lot of work into his map, and it shows… it really is great, and there were a few jungle sections that looked quite interesting. The rivers and mountain clusters were all well done, overall great map. I have to admit though, I was really wanting to see color added to this one. GW also did a great job pulling off the size of the land masses (good choice for change there about half way through the contest).

Then came Djekspek and Immolates entries… both incredible works of art (RobA and Ascension's maps could have classified here as well). Immolate's map is beautiful. I love the ogre camp and Boars head icons, and the surrounding map style was awesome. The mountains never did it for me though, I thought they were too blurry and distorted. DJ's map is stunning… the size of the land masses work for the project, and the details blow me away. I had to go with DJ here. I would love to see it finished, and with higher resolution.

Props to Zar Peter for an incredible job on Muggaria! This thing came a long way, and he did a great job pulling it off. Steel General and MisterAdam had had some cool stuff, and I really wish we could have seen Sapiento's map finished off, those mountains do look wicked!

Thanks to everyone for the hard work, looking forward to seeing the winner!

Djekspek
05-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Great great entries all! I really like it that so many people entered this month competetion and that the quality of all of the work is really high. Seeing so much greatness it's really hard to pick and I went for my inner 'wow' factor to prioritize my picks. End the end, my first two picks are Ascension (pro work, stunning) and RobA (looks like it's copied straight from some beer gazetteer ;). As for the third pick I went for Cereth (the style/color of the landmasses really caught my eye). But rep to all of course! cheers!

anklesneeze
05-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm pleased at all the effort and talent you guys brought to bear on this. It was hard to choose, I picked RobA as my number one becase in studying the maps I could tell he had read some of the stories on the site, I also like the feel of the rocks and mug on the map. I also found it very readable whereas a few were more difficult. I liked Zar Peter for the readability and detail as well. The art work on all of these is wonderful and fired my imagination since I like to look at a map of the world I'm writing for. It puts me into the world and helps me feel what its like living there. Great works of art inspire more art!

a2area
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
WOW... these are ALL really cool! Haven't looked at them closely yet but Ascension.. you're entry is insanely nice.. I will have to review the instructions and each map with care before voting. Makes me want a hefeweizen! Better call my sponsor (just kidding)

PS.. you guys are going to think me silly.. but I like to think i speak for all short-attention-spanners here; For the sake of uber-convenience, is there a way the link to thumbnails can be included clearly in the poll? Maybe even with an icon "THUMBNAILS". A few (like me) may ultimately not wind up voting or may put off voting til "later" simply due to the lack of a clear link.. although i did find the link i always seem to wind up searching around and (embarrassed) have to admit i've not voted in the past just because the thumbs weren't handy (enough).

Jaxilon
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Ouch, this month it actually hurt to vote on these they were all so great!

For those who care for a bit of what I went through in my heart and head:

Ascension - Even though I liked the more vividly colored one in the wip, this is just awesome. All the background imagery and denizens just made this a pleasure to scroll around. It totally pulls you in! Vote number 1 right off.
Devin Night - I think he did this in record time but the idea he is has for the map just sells and I totally dig the hand drawn locations. I just want to go walk up that curvy path to that fortress on the mountain. Vote number 2.
Dj - A totally professional looking map like something you would get out of the box of a new game you just purchased. Some of the great looking land features crafted into the map were hard to see and the lettering made it a kind of hard for me to read. In the end this was barely nudged out by my 3rd choice. Reminds me of the Dragon Age map.
GW - Love the concept of this one, I still say I'd like the words to be more curvy. A splash of color might be nice but I think the precision of the map might be too much. If we could cross this with Devon Night's map I think it would blow our socks off.
Immolate - This is one good looking map but it was pretty hard for me to read. I almost think it suffers from too many killer ideas going on at once in too small of an area. Some of the writing that bleeds up through the map I can't read.
RobA - A different looking entry than most and it looks very old world. I don't know how he even had time for this what with keeping the site going while Arcana was away. Simply amazing. I was going back and forth between this and DJ's map and settled on this one because it was the more unusual imo.
Sapiento - I know you didn't finish but it was a good start
Steel General - I'm ready to play, this looks like a strategy board game to me. I like those icons very much. I would have liked to see more texture to the grasslands and since it says it is a map of "the Journey's of" I would have liked to see a few roads or trails marked. I very much liked the lettering on this, awesome font.
Zar Peter - I think this was the most improved map because it started as a straight up mug which freaked a number of people out. LOL, there were worries that prospective shoppers would think we were trying to insult them. There is nothing insulting here however. This map just tastes like beer and I can smell the pub just looking at it. I'm not sure I like the green sea but this was another worthy contender.
Calydon - I really liked this map. Especially the overlarge penciled in locations were fun to look at. I think if the land had a bit more variety to it I would have given it one of my votes. It looks like the whole thing is in the frozen tundra. Nothing wrong with that but what can I say?
Cereth - A good entry as well. It looks like a deserted isle cartoon which clashed a little with my overall idea of the back story.

PS. I can't say that all my reason's make sense because sometimes you have to go with your gut and that's not always easy to put into words. I made my best attempt at doing so in the above and I really feel that all of the maps are fabulous and worthy of votes. I will be going back through and attempting to rep everyone involved because you all did such a great job.

Ascension
05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I like that idea of putting thumbnails next to the vote entries but as of now the software either won't allow us to or I have not figured out how to do it :)

Edit: and then YodA goes and figures it out :)

bhanain03
05-05-2010, 05:38 PM
This was a toughie. I was immediately impressed by RobA's work, combining old world style and elegance with a dash of colour yet keeping the main image simple and readable. Cereth got my next vote for rendering a very intricate continent (though the main land mass struck me as a bit too peninsular) but mainly for the great accents and backdrop (yet the script was difficult to read and overall detracted from the geography, making it all look very busy). The last vote came down to a 20 minute staring contest between Ascension and Calydon. While Ascension, as usual, produced a fantastic work, I think the dizzying combinations of fonts, the overly Tolkienesque border script, and the unconvincing hand-penned notations (which were a great addition, but blending into the map more than appearing to have been written personally during travels), tilted me to throw Calydon a vote for a great first entry, despite the clash of the pen-drawn sites with the painted and textured style of the land and sea.

Voting would have been very different if some of the incompleted works were, well...completed. Sapiento's map looks extremely promising and Devin's sketching highly piques my interest.

Congratulations to all for jobs well done.

Immolate
05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words PlayinitCool. Kudos to you for the creative marketing. I am tempted to sample some of your stock at a Pathfinder game some time. I am, by far, the least of the beer junkies in our group of old fogies, but I do enjoy a good draft now and again, and stuff from a small brewery always tastes better to me.

Djekspek... I'm finally able to bestow rep again and you benefited from being last by my having graduated to the next level of repiliciousness. Thanks for not accusing me of being a re-miser!

Oh... any idea when the next challenge will be launched? Anyone?.... Bueller?

Greason Wolfe
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Yep, I was thinking about some color for my map, but then I got hit by this stupid flu-bug/bronchitis and was lucky to finish the map at all. Still, I had a lot of fun working with it, and it wasn't near as frustrating as most of my previous maps have been. I intend to experiment with this style a bit more in the future, just to see where I can take it.

GW

ravells
05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I like that idea of putting thumbnails next to the vote entries but as of now the software either won't allow us to or I have not figured out how to do it :)

Edit: and then YodA goes and figures it out :)

Has YodA done it? It would be rather cool! Maybe when we get the new CMS system thingy?

RobA
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Has YodA done it? It would be rather cool! Maybe when we get the new CMS system thingy?

There is a post in the CL forum with it set up that way, but ye are currently limited to 10 images in a post which includes smilees, so a poll can only hold thumbnails for less than 11 entries...

-Rob A>

Ascension
05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm wondering if we could make just one image with each map stacked one on top of the other, turn that into and image map thingy, and then on the right side (or left side) put the names or use a rollover thingy that would show the name. I'm sure we could do that (I did once long ago when I had a website) but sounds like a lot of work.

Amonite
05-07-2010, 01:39 AM
I made the mistake(?) of looking at Ascension's map first, was unfortunately it was so funny I couldn't take any of the other maps seriously :P A beer tour map should make you laugh, right? It's not a wine tour ;) I wasn't crazy about the oddly 3d mountains in the otherwise flat map, although after reading the WIP thread they made more sense. However, I was rescued from my giggles by the beautiful scrollwork of Rob, who won me over for vote #2 (I love antique/old world maps, so that helps), even if I couldn't read the pretty writing *pout* (which in point, was strangly beautiful for someone probably drunk on beer....). Cereth got my third vote, because I could easily visualize it as a prop on a table in a video game. And the map outlines were pretty nice.)

calydon
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
It's great to get so much detailed feedback on a piece of work -even on popular design and computer graphics forums most comments are restricted to "win!" or "Fail!!!"

And congrats to Ascension if he wins, as it seems likely, and is most deserving, and sympathies to RobA because his map deserves its own challenge.

misteradam
05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Some great work in there guys! Congrats to everyone for kicking ass. I had to give my vote to Ascension, but it was a tough choice.

RobA
05-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Congrats Ascension! A great entry!

-Rob A>

arsheesh
05-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Well deserved, great job.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Immolate
05-09-2010, 12:56 AM
I'd like to be the first to congratulate Ascension on being the first to earn 1000 reputation! He is truly a giant in this community.

Gidde
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Wow! Double grats, Ascension!

ravells
05-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Congrats Ascension!! Beautiful Entry and there were lots of them !

Redrobes
05-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Congratz man, well deserved !

Ascension
05-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks, guys. Now I guess I have to give myself an award...kinda awkward.

tilt
05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
congrats Ascension on a double win :)

RobA
05-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks, guys. Now I guess I have to give myself an award...kinda awkward.

I saved you the awkwardness and gave it to you ;)

-Rob A>

Ascension
05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Great, now I gotta go for 4 in a row like a certain DJ ;) Well, at least I have two to rub together.

Zar Peter
05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Congratulations! Well deserved.

Djekspek
05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
hehe, gratz on the well deserved win Ascension! If you keep entering with maps like this, you'll have a four-in-row-win easily ;)

Greason Wolfe
05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Let me echo the others in saying Congratulations. It was a most certainly deserved win with an outstanding entry.

GW

Immolate
05-10-2010, 11:42 PM
I know I'm belaboring the point, but it is almost the 11th of May and we haven't begun the May challenge. Hint HINT hint HINT hint.

Gidde
05-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Haha, Immolate, I've been waiting with bated breath as well ;)

Immolate
05-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I always wondered what bated breath smells like.

Midgardsormr
05-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Minnows, I think.

Ascension
05-11-2010, 01:32 AM
The current challenge is a ninja challenge...it's there, you just don't see it :)

PlayinitCool
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Gratz Ascension! Excellent work!

Been afk the past few days, but I'll be in touch soon :)

DevinNight
05-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Congrats to Ascension.
I wish I would have had more time, thanks to the people that considered my entry and posted nice things about it. March and April were just way too hectic.