PDA

View Full Version : Magnificent Maps British Library Exhibit

calydon
05-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Lots of activity about cartography from the Brits in the last few weeks, it seems.

http://www.bl.uk/magnificentmaps/

All the maps in this exhibit are amazing examples of the art of cartography, but in particular, this map of London, hand-drawn, is one of the most unusual, obsessively detailed pieces I have ever seen.

http://www.bl.uk/magnificentmaps/map4.html

Daelin
05-06-2010, 06:38 AM
OMG, that "The Island" map is the craziest piece of cartography I've ever seen!

Antheon
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
If I would try something like that it would drive me nuts. : O
I also like Map 3 by Diego Gutiérrez. The waves look very cool!

Antheon
absolutely speechless

Aenigma
05-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Oh lawd. That island O_O

Aval Penworth
05-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Ok, this is very much like the work of someone who has spent some time in an asylum.

Ascension
05-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Jumpin jehosephatz, that's totally insane.

ravells
05-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I went to see the exhibition day before yesterday (but didn't have much time so it was a flying visit .. got to go again)...they have this really cool contraption. It's a digital map projected on the top of a plinth. On the plinth there are large digital magnifying glasses which you can use to see the detail - a circle shows up on the projected map with the detail in it...it's very cool. Tried to google an image to explain it, but couldn't find one.
:: edit :: crappy drawing to explain

Ascension
05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I get it, sounds cool.

Riggamorphus
05-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Iits amazing how much art goes into the maps back in those times. The maps were works of art. I guess if you had paper back then you certainly wouldn't waste it let alone leave any blank spaces! That is something unique to catography is that the blank space is usaually an ocean between land but to a sailor its a real adventure.

alizarine
05-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Great resource, amazing pictures! I zoomed in on that London map (which is incredible) and I found ... an elephant with the word "ugly" on it ^.^ Totally the best map on the planet; I hope they didn't lock up the artist when he/she finished ^__^

- Alizarine