PDA

View Full Version : Long Overdue "Hello"

Sinnyo
05-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Greetings, one and all!

My apologies too, though I'm the one who paid for my oversight. I actually registered for the forum some time ago, as I've long been fascinated by maps. For some reason I didn't follow through on my interests, and it's taken 'til now for me to see what I missed out on. Browsing around these boards again today I have been soundly inspired and provoked into thought. I hope I can make amends and start joining in henceforth!

I'm a games design graduate from the UK, currently about as unemployed as any graduate could expect to be in this country. :/ As I noodle about with writing, designing and illustrating for my portfolio projects, I've returned to my cartographic passion on a few occasions.

I'm also reuniting myself with maps from the everyday world, thanks in part to BBC Four's recent The Beauty of Maps documentary series. (I'm sure it's been mentioned here already, but if you haven't yet I strongly recommend you boot the BBC iPlayer up and take a look!)

It certainly seems I've come to the right place at long last; it's a pleasure to meet you.

tilt
05-08-2010, 02:46 PM
welcome Sinnyo to the forum, lots of good stuff in here ;) ... looking forward to seing what you do, just ask if you need anything :) ... and a games design graduate does what? :)

Antheon
05-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the Guild! May your new found passion give birth to some beautiful maps. I'm looking forward to see maps through the eyes of a games design graduate. : )

arsheesh
05-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes welcome Shinyo, you will be hard pressed to find a more helpful and supportive community than the Guild, so by all means, post some of your work.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Sinnyo
05-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Greetings and thank you, Tilt and Antheon (EDIT: and Arsheesh - my, what fast responses!)

In answer to Tilt's question, my course was quite broad but I basically graduated in the design and development of video games. I tend to write game scripts and map level designs rather than produce 3D models or code, though. :)

I'm rediscovering a lot of my map work, but there are some vaguely mappish things already going on at my site (http://www.raygun-gothic.net), usually in Photoshop or drawn out in Google Sketchup. I'll see to digging some better stuff out of my hard drive, and tuning the sci-fi maps I'm making for my games projects. :)

Antheon
05-08-2010, 04:46 PM
It seems that I'm getting old as I haven't found map related stuff on your site but that could also be because I didn't have a clue where to look for it. What a shame! And there I was, hoping to see some maps. Now I'm looking for a tutorial "Browsing for dummies and 50+" ... : (

Antheon
trying to push his ego to its old glory

Sinnyo
05-08-2010, 06:23 PM
It seems that I'm getting old as I haven't found map related stuff on your site but that could also be because I didn't have a clue where to look for it. What a shame! And there I was, hoping to see some maps. Now I'm looking for a tutorial "Browsing for dummies and 50+" ... : (

Strange.. my reply got swallowed up somewhere. Anyway, that's my doing, sorry: my 'site isn't map-specific, but maps happen to feature in a smattering of my portfolio works. That's why I said I'd endeavour to dig some up, and hopefully share them here!

Steel General
05-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Redrobes
05-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey Sinnyo,

Welcome. Your not a million miles from me and I run a guild members map in my sig so add yourself to the pins in it - just approx will do. We get many games designers here and I am always interested in film and games creation too. I have credits on just the one game and long ago it was too tho I have worked a fair bit in industrial graphics - just not games on the whole. I see your SonicFanatic on the 360 and my handle is Redrobes (i'm redrobes just about everywhere I tread). I have been checking out the Halo 3 beta this week - tried it yet ?

Well, good to see ya and post them maps ! For games design maps its usually in the world/regional or the board game topics.

Sinnyo
05-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks to you both, and ta, Redrobes! I'll be sure to check those boards out in particular. :)

Alas, while I list my Xbox Live card I still don't own an Xbox 360. It's one of those embarrassing things I haven't gotten around to, for one reason or another.

tilt
05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey Redrobes - added myself to memberlocations :) .. wouldn't it be cool if names were attached to those small dots :)

Redrobes
05-09-2010, 04:14 PM
@Sinnyo - I saw on your site your a WoW player. Thats something I am yet to play with. Was never up for the monthly sub but I can see the attraction of it tho. 360 is excellent for some types of games and a void for others. Good for 1st/3rd person shooters inc Oblivion which is closest to WoW I think. Top down strategy its not hot and the DS or Wii might be better I believe (not owning either). Shame cos Baldurs & Heroes on the old xbox was cool.

@Tilt - If you hover mouse over the dots then it should tool tip the names of the person. I'm on firefox here but if it dont work let me know what browser your on.

tilt
05-10-2010, 02:11 AM
hmmm... no, doesn't work - the curser changes into a hand, but thats it. I'm on MSIE 8 :)

Sinnyo
05-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Top down strategy its not hot and the DS or Wii might be better I believe (not owning either). Shame cos Baldurs & Heroes on the old xbox was cool.

Yeah, I was praying for a PC release of Halo Wars. ;P The DS can get pretty fiendish for RTS games, though: I was addicted to Advance Wars DS for years, not least because it came with a map-maker!

Aenigma
05-10-2010, 05:53 AM
:) Welcome!

NeonKnight
05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Sinnyo
05-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Thank you! Already very happy to be here. ^_^