PDA

View Full Version : A little house

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-09-2010, 03:29 AM
I'm working on a new D20 Cartographer map pack (check out another here (http://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/d20-cartographer-carved-caverns-adventure-map) and here (http://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/d20-cartographer-underground-temple-adventure-map). This time, I'm giving a shot at making a building battlemap.

Right now I just have a basic house shape, first floor. Not sure what to fill the rooms with at the moment, but this is the general shape. I might end up making a "town pack" with a couple houses, an inn, a armor and weapons shop, even a small church. At the moment though, I'd welcome your thoughts, and could use some constructive criticism and recommendations. So, what looks good and what looks bad? What should I fill the rooms with (top floor will be bedrooms)? I'll be sure to post my progress as I go.

*Update*: scroll down for the more recent version--yes I fixed the weird stairs that led nowhere! :)

Ascension
05-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Good stuff, looks like my house :)

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Still using an outhouse, aye Ascension?

Thanks for the comment!

tilt
05-09-2010, 12:38 PM
very nice looking - looking forward to seing more :)

Larb
05-16-2010, 08:47 AM
This is a great little map but my only criticism is the stairs. They have no landing, they just go straight into the north wall. =P

Davros01
05-16-2010, 09:14 AM
looks really nice. although a londing for the stairs would be nice.

Marc

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey there. I kinda re-did the whole thing (the old one had some sizing problems so I re-did this in a cleaner, more organized psd file)--I realized action was likely to happen in front of the house so I made the map vertical. I also tried to fix up those stairs. Thanks for pointing that out, guys! Hopefully I can move forward now, rather than laterally. Image Added to original post.

tilt
05-20-2010, 03:25 AM
nice - looking forward to seing more :)

Sigurd
05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
So what are you going to do when the players say 'we go up the stairs'. :)

I like the outhouse.

Needs a hearth or kitchen area....

Very usable little place.

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Welp, I added in a bunch of furnishings, added a road (which I think I might not like....)--just about all the stuff I wanted. I think this is about 90% done. I did most of the work in photoshop and sometimes I worry that is looks a little too computer generated.

Any tips/thoughts/advice?

tilt
05-23-2010, 02:27 PM
well, since you are 90% done, that second floor can't take long ;)
I agree about the road, a small cabin like that will probably only have a dirt road or wagon trail and the road will most likely end by the cabin (but not necessarily) :)

Ascension
05-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I think it looks excellent. :) Nice work.

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-25-2010, 09:53 AM
well, since you are 90% done, that second floor can't take long ;)
I agree about the road, a small cabin like that will probably only have a dirt road or wagon trail and the road will most likely end by the cabin (but not necessarily) :)

Yep, second floor will be super easy: Just need to make some furnishings for it.

The idea is that this will be a "town pack" with a house or two, a general shop and a blacksmith, and maybe a temple, so maybe the nicer road is justified? Not sure. I'll keep thinking.

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-27-2010, 12:16 AM
finishing touches on both floors. I used a fake depth-of-field effect to make the second floor look like a second floor, I also added a tree, but realized I don't really know how to handle tree-cover on a D&D map! Do I make the tree transparent? Do I assume that the DM knows there is open space under the canopy?

Anyway, other than adding a small amount of furnishings in the hallway on the top floor, I think this is aboooout wrapped up. You will probably be seeing it in the "finished maps" section soon.

tilt
05-27-2010, 04:02 AM
very nice - look just about done to me :)
Concidering threes, I would suggest one of two options:
1. Leave it as is and let the GM handle it
2. Mark by a circle in the three (filled or otherwise) where the log is

someguy
05-28-2010, 11:13 PM
I am so snatching this to use in my Hellfrost game. Ive been needing a small house.

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Someguy: I don't have any problem with you using the file for free, but I will be publishing it for sale on TheGameCrafter.com in a day or two: you'll be able to pick it up, printed at 300dpi (these images are 100dpi) on the full-sized 10x16 sheets of heavy card-stock, for really cheap. If you feel like "supporting the artist" (and can wait a few days for delivery) that would be super cool. It will also come with some other extra versatile scenery.

I'm also taking requests for my next map project! :)

RecklessEnthusiasm
05-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Hey guys! I made a few more modifications and finished up! You can check out the finished map in the finished map forum over HERE (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10586-Village-Home).

You can also check out the full product over on TheGameCrafter.com right over HERE (http://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/d20-cartographer-village-home). If you want to support an amateur artist, feel free to pick one up!

someguy
06-05-2010, 12:37 AM
at just under $8 i think its more than worth it.