PDA

View Full Version : Llie'Nova Erania (WIP)

Aenigma
05-09-2010, 10:39 PM
As it sometimes happens when I'm tired (3.32 am here as I write this) I had a sudden burst of inspiration. What's more, An image of a map actually flashed inside my head and thus, I simply had to act upon this.
It's not very detailed, nor is it big (the map, Not the land itself. In fact, It's quite huge) but this is the result so far.
I made it in paint since I wanted to do it quickly, before the image in my head faded.

The southern part is supposed to be warm with a ginormous (very big :P) desert and the north is supposed to be cold.
Whilst this may be very cliché when it comes to maps, I still like this kind of layout.

The name "Llie'Nova Erania" is something I picked from my notes on the book I'm writing.

Aenigma
05-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Added a simple frame.

Ascension
05-10-2010, 12:12 AM
That looks like a pretty cool start...has a sense of realism to the layout of the land, lakes, and rivers.

Aenigma
05-10-2010, 04:03 AM
That looks like a pretty cool start...has a sense of realism to the layout of the land, lakes, and rivers.

Thanks! I'm very glad you think so ^_^

Aval Penworth
05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Has the illustrative, colour book plate look, of a map from a novel. A slightly unusual novel.

arsheesh
05-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Agreed. Nice little bit of inspiration there.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Aenigma
05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks again folks :P

Aenigma
05-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I made a big version of it! (400% bigger than the first version)
Those mountains really, really took time and I'm quite fed up with mountains now :P

The image is 4196x3532 px in size.

I took care with the rivers, so I hope the riverpolice won't find anything major to complain about :)

edit: If anyone has problems reading some things on the map, simply go to my deviantart and clik the map named "Llie'Nova Erania original size"

arsheesh
05-14-2010, 08:26 PM
They may have been time-consuming, but those mountains also look much more artistic than the former set. Good job. On thing I noticed however was that the title of your map looks severely pixelized when viewed at full resolution. Don't know if it's too late to fix this or not, but if not you might want to think about doing so.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Aenigma
05-14-2010, 08:36 PM
They may have been time-consuming, but those mountains also look much more artistic than the former set. Good job. On thing I noticed however was that the title of your map looks severely pixelized when viewed at full resolution. Don't know if it's too late to fix this or not, but if not you might want to think about doing so.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Many thanks for your comment.
About the title of the map; Yeah It's kind of pixelized, but the map is still not 100% complete, so I chose to keep it as it was for the moment.

edit: I fixed the pixelized title issue.
Done in Ms Paint.

Diamond
05-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Those are some damn fine looking mountains. Just goes to show that a good hand-drawn mountain beats a brush every time.

Aval Penworth
05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm enjoying watching this progress.

Coyotemax
05-18-2010, 03:48 AM
My first thought was "needs shading" but really, with the style that's developing that might be more distracting.

Nice so far! Especially for mspaint :)

Aenigma
05-18-2010, 08:12 AM
An update :)

I also put these updates on my deviantart (although I only "update" the images there instead of posting every new update as a seperate image)

I took the frame from a map I'm creating for a book I'm writing (which will take a while) and I added some more names and national borders.

tilt
05-18-2010, 08:27 AM
really great work you have there... and I can't help thinking - If you can do this in MS Paint - what couldn't you do in Photoshop or GIMP where you can adjust details a lot more, like putting a nice taper on the rivers :)
Have some rep :)

Aenigma
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
really great work you have there... and I can't help thinking - If you can do this in MS Paint - what couldn't you do in Photoshop or GIMP where you can adjust details a lot more, like putting a nice taper on the rivers :)
Have some rep :)

Thanks dude ^^ I've slowly begun stumbling through Photoshop tutorials from (amongst others) Ascension. :D

Aval Penworth
05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
All the best with learning GIMP et al. But please don't go adding textures and shadows to this map. If anything, just a subtle softening. This map has a wonder and charm which is so engaging. I love it.

Natai
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Wonderful work, especially for Paint!
I agree with Aval, some subtle adjustments in PS would be fine, but nothing major.
Repped