PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Elevation Photoshop Brushes

jwbjerk
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
When tackling the problem (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9919-WIP-This-Orb-world-building-and-mapping-project&p=107693&viewfull=1#post107693) of creating a realistic elevation map, i tried first to make a set of brushes that i could use to paint in elevation with. These were carefully created from real elevation data. While they certainly work better than painting with round fuzzy brushes, it wasn't entirely what i wanted, and i mostly turned to copy/pasting real elevation (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9919-WIP-This-Orb-world-building-and-mapping-project&p=110698&viewfull=1#post110698) into my map. However, i've still found the brushes useful to add in some detail, and some of you may find them useful too. So i present them here.

* To keep the pattern from being too obvious, these brushes are highly randomized in position, opacity, rotation, scale, etc, and some combine 2 graphic elements. Each click will produce a different result.

* Some of these brushed look best with single clicks, and others if you paint a stroke.

* Some of these brushes are extremely large approaching 500 px wide, so the detail is about as high res as i could get it.

* The Brushes are named: "Geo UP..." or "Geo DOWN", as you might expect, these are designed to raise or decrese elevation respectively.

* To keep the image from being absurdly large, i only did about 2/3rds of the brushes in the example image below.

Enjoy.

RobA
05-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Nice! I tried doing this a while back and like you found they aren't a silver bullet, but are handy for touching up edited terrain.

-Rob A>

Steel General
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Neat stuff, thx for posting.

toranaga18
10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Looks amazing, Ill have to try it out tonight...I have a big map I want to make. :)

Gan
10-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Awesomeness in pure form. Here's my reputation for you, very useful.