PDA

View Full Version : Kaiserreich Drachenstein

Veuxin
05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
This is a map I have worked on for quite some time now, since somewhen in 2007, I think. It's for a German micronation called "Kaiserreich Drachenstein" (Empire of Drakestrin) and since the setting for that micronation is some weird fantasy remix, the map is held in a late-nineteenth-century-style. Used tools are Inkscape and Gimp (the latter for the relief shading), used font is mainly Linux Libertine (which I simply adore).

Well, this is not only my first map I post here, but also my first post in general, so please be kind. :>

Note: Due to the filesize restrictions regarding the uploader I recommend viewing the map in full detail ('Download'-Button) at deviantArt (http://notyourstyle.deviantart.com/art/Kaiserreich-Drachenstein-163704927). :)

Katto
05-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Heiliger BimBam! The best I have seen here for a long time! It will take a few hours to look through it. Congrats for your first post. If the next will also be as impressive as this you are excused for the next two years! :)

Sapiento
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Fantastisch!
Fantastic! Repped and rated.

arsheesh
05-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I can see why this map took you so long. Wow, that is one detailed piece of work! Just beautiful, the map that is. Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Veuxin
05-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Danke and Thank you so much, both of you! =) I hadn't expected such a reaction. :>

I can see why this map took you so long. Wow, that is one detailed piece of work! Just beautiful, the map that is. Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Oh, and thank you very much, too. :) The map was my first project in Inkscape, and well, I learned how to work with the programme by creating the map. ^^

Larb
05-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Really detailed, yet nice and clean looking. I like it!

ravells
05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Beautiful work! Wunderbar!

torstan
05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Really fantastic work. I'm in awe of anyone that can get anything decent out of a vector graphics program, and that this was doen in Inkscape and Gimp is doubly impressive. Great stuff. Repped and rated.

Veuxin
05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you all, I'm really in lack of appropriate words of appreciation at the moment. =)

Aenigma
05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Wunderbar! Einfach grossartig!
I like this style ^^

Daelin
05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Aw, yeah, this is crazy cool. The professional look almost rivals that of a2area. The level of detail is astounding.
The absolutely only thing I can put my finger on, is that the layout of the islands seem a bit unrealistic, but who even cares about that.
Also, what little text there is, is in German, and even though I'm Danish, I'm not well-versed in that particular language. But heck, that doesn't count as a criticism, that's just because I was lazy and didn't pay attention during German classes.
Super nice debut, mate!

Ascension
05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Holy frejoles. I'll add my appreciation of this as well. Uber job, my man.

OldGuy
05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
I just went to DA and downloaded it so I could see it in full detail. Absolutely amazing!!!

Uncle Twitchy
05-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes, this is beautiful.

Veuxin
05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Thank you all so very very much. =)

The absolutely only thing I can put my finger on, is that the layout of the islands seem a bit unrealistic, but who even cares about that.

Yeah, I've been a little unsure about that, maybe I'm going to add some smaller isles here and there for realism someday. The reason for the layout is that the map was first drawn when I was 12, with pencil onto a Din A4 piece of paper (you can still see that by the fact that all islands fit exactly onto the Din format; the continent in the West was added later...). And yeah - I obviously didn't care too much for realism when I was 12. ^^

Also, what little text there is, is in German, and even though I'm Danish, I'm not well-versed in that particular language. But heck, that doesn't count as a criticism, that's just because I was lazy and didn't pay attention during German classes.

The ocean/bay names in brackets only translate the text above them from Drakish (the language spoken in Drakestrin, I'm quite into conlanging) to German, and the map title only says "Empire of Drakestrin - Drafted and printed by the traveller's guild following the Imperial order (mapping law dated the 16th Morikles 24029)." And beneath that there's the scale and the note "distances in kilometres" - so you didn't really miss that much after all. Glad I didn't put up a Drakish version of it. :D

Rythal
05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
amazing job!

tilt
05-12-2010, 03:19 AM
ganz fantastich... that is a beautiful map, love all the details and love the style - and truly appreciate the hard work that has been behind it. Have some rep :)

Steel General
05-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Simply Stunning...

rdanhenry
05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow. That's a lot of dots with names next to them. A lot of red numbers, too. Then there are the dotted lines. Clearly, this has taken a lot of work. Wish I could see the whole thing at once at a decent size. You've got rivers splitting at the sea. I'm not sure you can use the "they're river deltas" justification on islands. Have some rep.

Zar Peter
05-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Wonderful map.

Did you draw all the heightlines by hand or did you use a technic to automatise them?

Gamerprinter
05-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Excellent atlas styled map with relief! Agreed with everyone, nice detail. Have some REP!

GP

Andartar
05-16-2010, 02:44 AM
This is perfect at so many levels! Impressive!

Veuxin
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Did you draw all the heightlines by hand or did you use a technic to automatise them?

Hand...boresome work, but I didn't get satisfying results with anything automatised.

And thank you everyone so so so much for your feedback! =)

monks
02-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Yes, I like the style of this. ;)

monks

krasimir
02-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Amazing (at first glance), now examining in detail...

Terminator X
02-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Nice work...I'm jealous!

Mark Oliva
02-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Ja mei! Des is a mords Dingerla. Die Welt selba, des faszinert ma a'! Fei schee!

OR:

Wow! That's a Super-Thing! The world irself fascinates me too!

jbgibson
02-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Wow - I missed this first time around. It's beautiful, Veuxin!

Mark Oliva
02-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Just a nosy question:

In German, you call it Kaiserreich Drachenstein.

In English that could by the Empire of Dragonstone or Drakestone or with a little stretch of the imagination Wyrmstone.

But Drakestrin? Why Drakestrin?

Nix für Ungut,

Immolate
02-06-2011, 02:21 AM
I love this! I'm glad we featured it or I may never have seen it. Very worthy of the praise!

Naeddyr
02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
That's pretty good. :)

Jaxilon
02-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Truly excellent work.

Schley
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Love it! Repped!

Veuxin
08-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Just a nosy question:

In German, you call it Kaiserreich Drachenstein.

In English that could by the Empire of Dragonstone or Drakestone or with a little stretch of the imagination Wyrmstone.

But Drakestrin? Why Drakestrin?

Nix für Ungut,

That's because 'Drakestrin' is drakish (The common Conlang of the world); with 'drake' meaning dragon and 'strin' meaning 'stone'. ^^

@All the kudos I received (especially the feature - didn't notice it until now and...well, I am absolutely stunned :o) - Thank you so very, very, very, [...] very much! =) It just feels absolutely awesome to receive so much applause for the work and...yes, the work really pays off that way, again and again. The whole world really is my legacy somehow (as stupid as that may sound ^^), and the map is the heart of that. I really can not express my gratitude in words...and yeah, I suck big time at thanking people. ;)

tilt
09-01-2011, 03:51 AM
it was welldeserved - and you did a good job of thanking :)

liciobruno
12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Really a wonderful map!!!

It remembers me the old geographic Atlas.

Congratulations!!!

Do you think to post some tutorial about it?