PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify the font?

torstan
05-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi there. I need to find a font somewhat similar to the font on the Dragon Age Map:
http://greywardens.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/thedasmap_wallpaper_1600x1200.jpg

Any ideas?

jwbjerk
05-11-2010, 06:19 PM
This is my favorite place to look for fonts:

http://www.dafont.com/

torstan
05-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Yep, I've had a browse but come up short. Some are close but nothing quite right. It's clean and readable, but also calligraphic. It's a tough balance and that particular choice is lovely.

Ascension
05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I went through the fonts that I currently have loaded, I have around 12,000 more but I keep the best 3,000 loaded. Here's what I've come up with. Shrewsbury looks the closest but the letters have a weird little up-tilt at the end of each letter.

RobA
05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Looks a bit like a roughed up Catull http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catull

-Rob A>

RobA
05-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I went through the fonts that I currently have loaded, I have around 12,000 more but I keep the best 3,000 loaded. Here's what I've come up with. Shrewsbury looks the closest but the letters have a weird little up-tilt at the end of each letter.

How do you sort them out to find something that fast?

-Rob A>

torstan
05-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow, Shrewsbury is a great fit. I'm with RobA - how on earth do you keep track of 12,000 fonts? Or even 3,000 good ones?

Ascension
05-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I keep all my fonts all in a master Fonts folder (not in the windows folder) with subfolders according to font categories (script, grunge, techno, etc). The ones that I like I copy to the windows - font folder. Then I just open Photoshop, open the image, type in the word starting with the first font (! Pepsi !), and hit the down arrow until the font looks close, then copy the layer, hide the old one, and continue down the list of fonts. It took me about 90 minutes to go through the whole list and find these, set the size, spacing and what not. I had about 20 others picked out that fit the "feel" but these were the closest. The other thousands of fonts are mainly crap fonts that have screwed up kerning or leading or ones that are too similar to something already loaded. If I had every font possible I wonder what that number would be, probably near 30,000 I guess (so many dingbats), so I have about half of them.

Gidde
05-11-2010, 11:15 PM
My goodness! And I get lost in the 100 or so I have loaded.

ravells
05-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Tried identifont and whatthefont and drew a blank on both. It's frustrating because the font looks really familiar. I'm sure I had it installed once (or one very much like it) but I don't now. Maybe if you cross post your request on 'The Typographist' website someone might be able to help?

Redrobes
05-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Yeah thats a lot. I use FontGlancer to see all of the fonts installed with the sample text. Its sped up things immensely but I have but a weeny slice of 12,000. I have a hundred or a few hundred tops.

Coyotemax
05-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Amp Font viewer (free!) is a good font manager too, plus you can tell it to temporarily load fonts so they don't stay cluttered when you're not using them. Good for testing purposes, and then if you want to keep it just go back and permanently install.