PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Laer Ia'Bor finished!

LonewandererD
05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Finally, this map is complete, and with my sanity still intact (or at least thatís what the voices tell me).

This is Laer Ia'Bor, or White Rock City in English, the commanding city of the Dominion of the Elders of Sorres and the educational and intellectual centre of the Dal lands. The entire map was made from scratch in Photoshop and it took me a little over two months, Iím especially proud of this map because it is the first map where it was created using mostly my own techniques, I would still like give a thanks to Ascension for his town tut that I used to build up the bases of my buildings before adding extra layer effects, and Yander whose insignia tut I used here. For your convenience I have translated this map into English but I do have the map written in Dal if anyone is interested.

I didnít really have a solid plan going into this map, just a general ideas and a hell of a lot of experimenting. Basically I just wanted a very detail city and I did my best to get that, not all the details turned out how I wanted them but what can you do? Iím very pleased with how this map turned out but I donít think Iíll be attempting something this in-depth again anytime soon; at least not at this scale. Also, Iíve put a small, very small, thing in here that sort of pays homage to the guild and would probably be where I would be living in this city, see if you can find it :) .

And now, Iím moving onto my next insane adventure!

-D-

NOTE: This map is at low resolution to allow it to be posted on this forum. I'm posting a high resolution map onto my deviantART page and onto the group we have over there, follow the link in my sig if you want to see it, should be up in a day or so.

tilt
05-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Very nice - and now I know where to stay when I visit ;) ... have some rep by my mighty sword of cool repping +2
oops.. repped you to much for now.. .so the system says ;)

Natai
05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Amazing, and congratulations on finally getting it finished! This map is definitely inspiring and a great example of what can be accomplished with adequate talent, patience and determination. If I can ever create a city map even half as good as this, I'll be very proud of myself.

Rated in the hopes you receive a well-deserved award.

Redrobes
05-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Waaaay too cool this. Theres so much in this map to like. Its so neatly and professionally done.

Oh and I like this too:

ravells
05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Beautiful work, now take a well deserved rest from cities!!!!

Uncle Twitchy
05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Neat map -- I especially like the hand-drawn quality the buildings have. Bravo!

Katto
05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Asolutely incredible! It is one of the maps you'll have to print on a poster to see all its details and beauty. My favourite is the castle district.

paradox_wanderer
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
What program did you use and how did you get the individual pixels to show up so clearly for the parapets and fences?

Aval Penworth
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
It was all in Photoshop, wasn't it LW?

arsheesh
05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
That is just out of this world LW! I am really impressed with both your talent, and your commitment to seeing this project through. The color, patterns and detail of this map are some of the best that I have seen in a city map. Quite stunning. Repped.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Sapiento
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Bravo! Must have take a long time.

Yandor
05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Freak man, that is just absolutely stunning, I'm glad I was able to see it from start to finish, some major changes, and for the better too, Congrats and well done!

Gandwarf
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
More rep flowing your way...
Great effort.

LonewandererD
05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Thnx to all for the kind words.

@Sapiento - Damn right it took a long time, but that was mostly due to my laptop slowing down trying to handle this map in photoshop, uni and a lot of frustration on my behalf.

@Katto - I'm looking into getting this map printed up into a poster, I'm hitting up my brother whos a printer but honestly I have no idea how to go about this.

@paradox_wanderer - All work was done in Photoshop CS3, that's all the work from making the map, the text and even the patterns that went along with it with the exception of two patterns that came along with Ascension's tut. Getting the 1-pixel fences and crennalations to show up was actually quite simple, although each one was only a 1-pixel I put a 1 pixel black stroke around each, as the layers underneath were generally a lot brighter the black stroke made the light coloured dots pop out and become more noticable, it's all colour contrast.

Now, come and join the gathering at the Cartographer's House as the next mapping expedition is being planned.

-D-

Ascension
05-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Dude, you just gave me a cool idea for a challenge...make map for the Guildhouse and maybe its city. :)

Steel General
05-13-2010, 08:00 AM
So when are the guys in the White Coats due to arrive! ;)

This is utterly fantastic! I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

Aval Penworth
05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Lonewanderer.

If you want to print it big, you might want to consider printing it at a professional photo-lab. You could print in matt for an arty look, or metalic for maximum punch. I used to get 30"x40" photos printed for $38.00 if I did the colour correction myself, $54.00 if they did the correction for me, but that wat 4 years ago. It is often a lot cheaper than other formats. I'm not sure where to go in Sydney but prolabs usually have thier prices available online. You could try "probab world" I have heard they are pretty good. Just check first how to set up the file and calibrate your monitor for their output.

Larb
05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
The work you put in really shows, it looks awesome. I'd like to know how you did those cliffs!

hohum
05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Awesome map, I'll have to look up those tutorials you mentioned. Repped.

pipolaki
05-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Very impressive !!!
With only one map, you give me ideas for five or six different cities for my role playing game campaign.

Jaxilon
05-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Dude, that is insane. It almost hypnotizes you just looking at it with all that detail and it just goes on and on. This is one of those kinds of projects that one never knows if they have what it takes to see it through until they do it. Currently, I don't think I have it :) Maybe when I'm a whiz with my tools like Gamerprinter I might dream of attacking something like this but right now I think it would take me a lifetime.

Awesome, hopefully you will accept another rep card on the pile.