PDA

View Full Version : Ice World (Concept & WIP)

njordys
05-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Made this concept-map afther watching the second star wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, where the ice world of Hoth fascinated me. I have also read about the "snowball Earth" theory, where some scientist speculate that it is possible that the entire world was engulfed in a global ice age that froze the sea even at equator.

Anyway, here is my concept map, very rash and quickly made, however, it shows my idea. A very much frozen world, where only the equator is ice-free, and a few islands are snowless. Only on these snowless tundras the scarse life is able to cling to existance.

Rythal
05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Well that is a "cool" map :P

hope to see this develop

Boslok
05-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I love the ice maps, can't wait to see this one develop.

tilt
05-13-2010, 01:26 AM
good idea.. looking forward to seing more :)

njordys
05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
The next concept map in the series. Still a bit raw, but it now looks more like a planet. The red line is the equator.

The ice free areas are determined by factors like sun light (ofcourse), ocean currents and volcanic activity.

njordys
12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
sorry if this is considered bumping, but I've taken up this project again.

Here is another version, this time with textures. Red is still equator, landmass is diverting the warm currents towards north in the east portion of the map. Far to the north there is vulcanic activity creating a small pocket of water in the ice. Forests and grasslands are scarce, and always near the coast.

jtougas
12-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Very *Ahem* Cool !! :)

njordys
12-31-2010, 06:53 AM
just another fix-up. Experimenting with inkscape, making text labels and such. Also, tried to add some northern image- fluff to see if it makes a fresher impression. What do you guys think?

FeralBuddy
12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
I like the first image of the aurora. It sets a nice tone. But for some reason I don't like the bears. It's probably just my opinion. I guess it depends on what mood you want to set. Like a picture of dangerous monsters, or a serene landscape. It appears to me that the polar bear were just dropped in there because their polar bears. *shrugs* It's looking good so far. Good textures.

jtougas
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
I like the first image of the aurora. It sets a nice tone. But for some reason I don't like the bears. It's probably just my opinion. I guess it depends on what mood you want to set. Like a picture of dangerous monsters, or a serene landscape. It appears to me that the polar bear were just dropped in there because their polar bears. *shrugs* It's looking good so far. Good textures.

I agree with FB. The map overall is awesome and can stand on it's own without the "fluff" (although I DO like the aurora as well) :)

FeralBuddy
12-31-2010, 03:06 PM
'Ice World" is just a stand in, right?

njordys
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your input, people :)

I guess I didn't really put a lot of thought into those fluffy additions. First, the polar bears did look kinda forced into it, the bears would have to look a bit more ferocious or at least have a different posture for it to work. They are gone. I've added a mountain, but I'm unsure about that too. It looks kinda tame now, but I'll try to make it more detailed with a darker background. Oh, btw, the aurora is a bit misplaced too. So close to equator there would not be northern/southern lights anyway :p

Small update, just made the text a bit more easier to read (albeit a bit uglier), and added the fiery island. The red is supposed to be red minerals from the volcano. Dunno how realistic it is, but I just wanted to make it.

Meridok
01-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I agree with the above two on the subject of the fluff - but I have a question pertaining to the naming. Why did you use 'Mountains of Beothuk'? Maybe its just me, but it seems kinda strange to use the name of a tribe of native people from Earth - who are now extinct - so unaltered on a map that... doesn't really have anything to do with them. I mean, Newfoundland's cold but its not *this* cold. ;P

njordys
01-07-2011, 03:46 AM
I agree with the above two on the subject of the fluff - but I have a question pertaining to the naming. Why did you use 'Mountains of Beothuk'? Maybe its just me, but it seems kinda strange to use the name of a tribe of native people from Earth - who are now extinct - so unaltered on a map that... doesn't really have anything to do with them. I mean, Newfoundland's cold but its not *this* cold. ;P

Haha, yeah, well, I admit it, I just thought the name sounded cool. I don't even know if there are mountains on Newfoundland. :p

I could probably have found some Inuit names to mooch of