PDA

View Full Version : What do you create your maps for?

Dominic
05-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm just curious as to what everyone here uses their maps for.
My main use for creating maps is usually for stories I write to help me determine where things are.

LonewandererD
05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Mainly it's because I'm trying to create a world, well not the whole world, just a small corner of it. And since I'm making the world just for the heck of it i guess i just make maps because its fun and challenging.

-D-

Ascension
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I do it for no other reason than because I like to. I don't play games with them, I'm not writing anything, I just have fun doing them.

Gidde
05-12-2010, 11:14 PM
All of the above? I map for the novel I'm writing, for the game I'm running, and for the fun of it.

Dominic
05-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I guess they are quite fun, but I sometimes feel like my maps should tell some kind of story about them. I remember one map I created years ago, I wanted it to be for a game or something and I created the land based on a players journey to find relics. I had the whole thing planned out and even split the regions up into different terrains. I had a frozen region, a dry and rocky region, a heavily forested region, and I even had a dark sort of evil boss region where all the trees were dead and the place was spiky and evil. I guess I just like the idea of maps that tell a story of why places and areas are the way they are. Adds a bit more mystery to the map.

Rythal
05-13-2010, 12:30 AM
I do it for no other reason than because I like to. I don't play games with them, I'm not writing anything, I just have fun doing them.

Quoted for Truth, though I also do it to learn the software.

Obliro
05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
I like how they don't have faces.

Well, environments in general don't usually have faces, and I find them a good change of pace from drawing people. I second the post about creating worlds and parts of them.

Master TMO
05-13-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm an administrator for an online text MMORPG, and there is no graphical map of the place, so I thought I'd make one. And then one of the former admins is working on his own similar game that will take place across several planets, and I thought I'd go ahead and do those for him as well.

Boslok
05-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Being an avid gamer and artist I'm just naturally drawn to the maps. My first maps were at the age of 9-10, I mapped the woods behind my house and at the local park (marked the boundaries, trails and were we buried our trinkets). Nowadays most of mine are related to a game (D&D, RPG) I'm running or playing in, some are just for creative satisfaction.

tilt
05-13-2010, 02:01 AM
All my maps are related to games I play (D&D 4e these days). Although the tiles I've made http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9656-Tiles-for-combat-1-inch-grid were mostly done to try it out - but of course they do work for D&D combat. And I also agree with several of the answers quoting that it also improves skill - hence the particitpation in the mapping challenges :)

Steel General
05-13-2010, 07:51 AM
I originally started creating them for my campaign setting. Now I just do them for fun.

JorgePeron
05-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Firstly i admire the possibility of creating something non existent,the rise of a very personal kind of imagination and creativity!Then the need to feel a kind of vain sense of being a small "god" perhaps.Also maybe because I ain't that good in drawing or painting of people.However due to the limited interest that usually people show about cartography i think I like the "cult" taste of it,too.

Gamerprinter
05-18-2010, 04:13 AM
Cartography is my favorite artform - I primarily create them to help maintain my sanity. Also I create maps as a secondary income source in the production of commissioned maps for small RPG publishers. After doing so for a couple of years, now I've turned to creating RPG settings, adventures and gaming aids as a publisher with an emphasis on maps. But if I didn't have a commission or several current publication projects I'm working on, I'd still be making maps for my own pleasure.

GP

njordys
05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I draw maps as a relaxation project on my free time, there is something soothing in imagining pwetty places, and then drawing them in on a map. Then afterwards I might make a story out of them, putting them in a context and creating those extra fluff.

Jaxilon
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Creative outlet that also helps me hone my artistic talents.

Related to my gaming with friends but that only happens like once every 6 months or something these days.

I love imagining the places and worlds I can create. I can walk the halls, climb the mountains and delve beneath the earth almost like reading a book only it's better because it's all from my own imagination. Some day I hope it will inspire me to write a book or at least a short story or two.

Iapetus
05-26-2010, 01:50 AM
I was inspired to start making maps for D&D, but now I'm thinking I should also make a few for my own stories. It would certainly help me visualize things, especially when I have writer's block.

Cantoffie
06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Keep me from dieing of boredom. I will starve if I do not consume maps. :b

bambua
06-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Mostly for my 4E campaign but since coming here I've been getting some ideas for things totally outside of it.

Trovian
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I haven't created any yet, but came here to get help and tips on how to make them. At the moment I'm currently just practicing and enjoying the learning process of making maps. I've never been much good at drawing, but this is different, it is easier, because no-one can tell me that I am right or wrong with my own world. I hope someday that I can be as good as some of the people on here. Soon I plan to make a few maps for the play by post forum that I am making, to tie in with the history and storyline of it all, as well as create some 'battle maps' of sorts. I will probably also want to make some in future for when I write short stories, as I have always enjoyed writing.