PDA

View Full Version : I may have found a cool city map building trick in inkscape

Notsonoble
05-14-2010, 07:17 PM
http://screencasters.heathenx.org/episode-104/ here heathenx uses a neat tool called "create tiled clones" I'm still playing with it, but it dawned on me that you have a tool that will
a)take an object
b)rotate it randomly
c)scale it randomly
d)adjust its color randomly and...
e)spit a bunch of these out...

When I first tired it for buildings in a village... I found the "unclump" button will shift them apart with enough clicks (or you can move them by hand...)

Has anyone else thought about this... or have some other ideas for me to use to see if I can make this make a good map... if I can get it to work I think I'll right a little tut.

Gidde
05-14-2010, 08:48 PM
That's a great tutorial, thanks for posting it! Trying it now to make a new starfield for my Honorverse map.

Notsonoble
05-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Honorverse map.

I demand the finished product be posted!!!! Don't make me tell the 'cats you hid all the celery!

Gidde
05-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Haha, still working on it, but it's got a WIP thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10294-WIP-Star-Empire-of-Manticore-%28Fan-Project%29) :)

ravells
05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
http://screencasters.heathenx.org/episode-104/ here heathenx uses a neat tool called "create tiled clones" I'm still playing with it, but it dawned on me that you have a tool that will
a)take an object
b)rotate it randomly
c)scale it randomly
d)adjust its color randomly and...
e)spit a bunch of these out...

When I first tired it for buildings in a village... I found the "unclump" button will shift them apart with enough clicks (or you can move them by hand...)

Has anyone else thought about this... or have some other ideas for me to use to see if I can make this make a good map... if I can get it to work I think I'll right a little tut.

Strange....were there meant to be images with your post? I can't see any.

Notsonoble
05-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Strange....were there meant to be images with your post? I can't see any.

No, I haven't worked out all the process in a fashion that warranted a complete tutorial with pictures post yet...

Notsonoble
05-15-2010, 08:56 PM
someone with better inkscape skills will probably be able to improve on this... but here's a sample of what I've been playing with so far...

I'm having lots of grief getting the clone tiles to actually spread the buildings out automatically... but for rotation and getting a bunch on the "page" to start with it's doing well... this is really small, but I was thinking this'd be best with a large map to generate...

Immolate
05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I take it the shading isn't dynamic as there appears to be reversed shading on two of the complex structures.

RobA
05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I take it the shading isn't dynamic as there appears to be reversed shading on two of the complex structures.

Inkscape supports filter effects, so they could be generated without the shading and have the filter effect add the bevel shadow.

-Rob A>

ravells
05-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Do inkscape filter effects rasterise the object though? (They do in Drawplus). Notsonoble, the problem I see with the clone tile is that it doesn't align the buildings along roads, so you'd have to do that by hand I guess. I do like the rest of it though.

RobA
05-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Do inkscape filter effects rasterise the object though? (They do in Drawplus). Notsonoble, the problem I see with the clone tile is that it doesn't align the buildings along roads, so you'd have to do that by hand I guess. I do like the rest of it though.

INkscape filter effects are defined by the SVG spec. The base objects all remain vectors.

-Rob A>

ravells
05-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Ah sorry, I think it's the same in Drawplus too....I think. Although you can still edit the base object as a vector the displayed result is raster.....which is a bugger when you've got a large city with lots of tiny elements in it where the raster really shows.

Notsonoble
05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
The shading isn't dynamic, as for aligning the buildings, I put the roads in after, and it was a quick n dirty... I'm still playing with it... It may not be as handy as I'd expected, either I get a clump of buildings on top of each other, or they're scattered all over the place well out side the "page" boundary...

ravells
05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Bryce has a similar thing for 3d objects. I thought it would be a good city creator but I think I began to run into the same sorts of problems you're doing....hopefully you'll find an ingenious solution!

Notsonoble
05-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Right now, it's "let it scatter them to the winds, or clump them... and then make adjustments..."

If you did buildings that didn't come pre shaded (the ones I'm playing with are), and perhaps did a bunch at a wide range on the rotation tab... you could do a lot better...

Unfortunately... this is my last week at my current job, which is followed by a week of (already planned) vacation away from computers, followed by a new job that's a completely different shift, and in a completely different town(s).

So I probably won't be able to hit this again until July -_-.