PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Centralia

Sapiento
05-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally I intended to do this map for the April 2010 challenge, but the lack of time hindered me to complete it.
Nevertheless, the start was too good to let this idea die and so I will work on the map to finish, however, without beer (on the map, I mean ;) )

The map will focus on the continent of Centralia and the ruling state, the Holy Centralian Empire.

tilt
05-15-2010, 08:51 AM
looking really good, nice colors.. and love the dunes :)

Gidde
05-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Oh cool, I'm glad you decided to finish this one. I love the style, can't wait to see the finished product.

Ascension
05-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I hate to say it but the forests look like big slugs with lots of little feet. I guess it's the general smoothness of the shape. Everything else looks good...maybe the buildings could be just a tad bigger. Great colors.

Larb
05-15-2010, 11:38 AM
For some reason I was expecting that abandoned town in Pennsylvania. I love the mountains and the colour palette but then I've always liked browns and oranges and stuff.

Arcana
05-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I went to Centralia, PA during my honeymoon recently ;)

Ascension
05-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I was in Centralia, Illinois last week. :)

paradox_wanderer
05-16-2010, 12:28 AM
So... it's been like 6 hours... are you done yet? I really like this map style. It's that cartoonish realism that appeals to me so very much.

rdanhenry
05-16-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm digging those volcanoes.

Sapiento
05-16-2010, 06:19 AM
I read only a few days ago about this abandoned city - really scary.

@Ascension: Slugs! :D I have to admit that I'm not really satisfied with the forests, maybe I try a single-tree-concept. I'm also not entirely sure about the city symbols. I thought about using symbols similar to those from my Dream Islands map.

Steel General
05-16-2010, 07:56 AM
I have to agree with Ascension on the trees - something not quite right there. Maybe single trees to define the "visible" edge combined with what you have would work.

Sapiento
05-20-2010, 02:33 AM
I replaced the forests. I think it looks better now. The tree brushes are from a set by RPGMaker.

tilt
05-20-2010, 08:12 AM
thats look really good, including the forrests now ;)
was wondering a bit about the drop shadow effect on the landmasses - but it works nicely. And love your mountains, especially where the gorge in the ground is... very nice work indeed :)

Steel General
05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Forest are much better now, you did miss one of the 'Amoebas'... it's on the peninsula about midway down the eastern coast of the main land mass.

Greason Wolfe
05-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Glad to see you back to work on this map, I am so totally digging on the colors.

GW

Sapiento
05-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I added more decorative elements to the map. The shields are coloured at the moment, but I think I'll have to desaturate the colours to fit the shields into the map.

Steel General
05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
You could leave the colors as is, give the shields some depth and they would almost look like 'pieces' on a gameboard.

tilt
05-21-2010, 03:06 AM
You could leave the colors as is, give the shields some depth and they would almost look like 'pieces' on a gameboard.

or raise the shields, add a pole and use them as standards :)

Sapiento
05-22-2010, 01:48 PM

or raise the shields, add a pole and use them as standards :)

My intention was to make an old-style map with painted shields. But the 'pieces on gameboard' is what I will make on my next map.

Here is a new update; I changed the shields and gave them a look that should fit with the rest of the map; I also added borders and names (thank God for names generators)

Steel General
05-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Ahh... that came out quite nicely

Sapiento
05-23-2010, 02:03 AM
Ahh... that came out quite nicely

Thanks, SG. But I'm already thinking about putting the shields in a separated field besides the map; although I like the look the shields obscure some place on the map.

Sapiento
05-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Another take on the positioning of the shields.

Ascension
05-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Looks way better than the thumbnail would suggest...nice job. My two cents, shields go in a single file line down the left side...that means they're smaller and less focus is on them. Up to you, just an idea, shrug. Great looking map, though, bro.

tilt
05-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Thats fantastic, and I like the legend at the side :)
One question? - is it to benefit of the guild that you use the english words for mountains and bays, since all the town in the holy empire are clearly germanic?

Sapiento
05-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Looks way better than the thumbnail would suggest...nice job. My two cents, shields go in a single file line down the left side...that means they're smaller and less focus is on them. Up to you, just an idea, shrug. Great looking map, though, bro.

I tried it in a single row, Ascension, this was actually my first idea; double line looks way better.

Thats fantastic, and I like the legend at the side :)
One question? - is it to benefit of the guild that you use the english words for mountains and bays, since all the town in the holy empire are clearly germanic?

Indeed! ;-)

tilt
05-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I tried it in a single row, Ascension, this was actually my first idea; double line looks way better.
Indeed! ;-)

that's very nice off you :)

"Kennst du die Perle... die Perle Tirol.... " that just popped into my head, a reminder of the holidays spent in Austria as a child :)