PDA

View Full Version : *** April/May Lite Challenge Voting - All Bar None ***

torstan
05-15-2010, 03:03 PM
The entries are in and it's time to vote. This month the challenge was to create an unusual drinking den.

Here are the entries:

April/May Lite Challenge Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_LiteApr10.htm)

Please vote for 1 entry only. Remember to rep the entry you vote for, and any other that you feel merit it.

This poll will end in 4 days - 2pm EST on the 19th of May.

Good luck to everyone!

Gidde
05-15-2010, 04:19 PM
These were all very good entries, but I had to vote for Aval's tunnel tavern. What a fantastic break from a "normal" tavern; in fact, with your permission, I'd like to use it in my current game.

Rep to all, well done everybody!

ravells
05-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Avan's humour and great effects did it for me.

Immolate
05-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I voted for tilt. His inn made me want to go in and move pieces around. Very fun. Rep for all of you competitors.

My rep tools are a bit fritsy for some reason. Can each of you check to see if I repped you and drop me a PM if I missed?

Ascension
05-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Man this was a tough vote because each entry has its selling points. Tilt's layout is very convincing, Aval's looks like the most fun for me, Vandal's looks like the easiest to print and the most big game company friendly map, Frost's looks like a temple so that fits the unusual req, but I think PW's is the most professional looking so I voted for him....or her, whatever :)

Jaxilon
05-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Very nice entries folks.

AP gets mine because the ambiance is just right for a tavern in my opinion. He's got games to be played, cooking going on and lots of dark areas where whispers can take place. Love it.

I really liked a lot of things the others did:

The fish in Tilt's map almost got me, plus he had a waterwheel and that is just cool.
Map_Vandal had a nice hand drawn look to his which I liked.
PW's was too perfect except it fit an Elf tavern just about how you might figure those hoity toitys would have it. I liked the heated bathtub! This was so cleanly done it looks like what you would buy in a scenario pack.
AR Frost had the old school vote. I thought he had more plans for this. I think it could have used a bit more "stuff" in it.

I will see if I can rep you all now. Thanks for all your effort!

Nope :( - seems busted, will do as soon as I can.

tilt
05-16-2010, 04:31 AM
All good entries ... Aval got my vote cause of a nice combination of a good map and good humor :)
but I loved all the maps, really high standards this month :)

A R Frost
05-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Yea My map wasn't finished. And I apologize to all for that. New job with a promotion 2 days in and 50-60 hour work weeks the last three weeks have killed my free time. And to be totally honest I completely forgot about this project. Sorry for leaving it uncompleted.
The other entries look great...

Katto
05-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Very difficult this month because of the good maps. So I decided in which tavern I want to drink a beer and that's definitely in Truvvak's Tunnel Tavern! Yeah, drinking and having fun with dwarves and besides playing a round of goblin tossing! That would be fantastic!

Redrobes
05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Whilst Goblin Tossing and Goblin Nook might make for a most memorable evenings entertainment I thought id pass and head over to the Blue Winters Branch.

Certainly a very high standard set of maps for this month lite challenge.

Rythal
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
had to go with the dwarven tunnel, though it was a tough pick between that and blue winters branch.
Good job all!

Djekspek
05-16-2010, 12:33 PM
hmm... these entries really get me in the mood for a good-ol' fashioned pub-crawl... now where to start .. and where to end...

First stop would be the blue winter ranch as the only way to climb a tree would be in a sober condition... I'll have a few sweet honey brews
After that i'd visit the Delvolk's while the alcohol hasn't ruined my taste yet ... as their brewery looks like state of the art machinery...
Next thing would be some goblin tossin at Truvvak's. And maybe flush down a few more. Just hope i can make it to the next one...
Time for some more entertainment... A visit to the 99 ugly and 1 pretty woman as by now I start to see double and wanne see more then one pwetty woman :)
if I'm still able to crawl I'll have my last few in the crows feet... probably ending up imitating the pubs logo somewhere at the waterfront ...

Real great entries all! cheers!

rdanhenry
05-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Blue Winter's Branch got my vote. It is a beautiful map, and I love the use of a giant honeycomb.

paradox_wanderer
05-17-2010, 06:31 PM
I gotta sat that I'm having as much fun reading your comments as I did making my maps. And if anyone wants it, i can put up the maps individually with and without the grids (like I did for the Demon Queen's Enclave).

though... next time, I'm including dwarf tossing in the back for my tavern games :-)

Coyotemax
05-17-2010, 06:57 PM
This was tough!! I ended up giving the vote to map vandal for being the only one to do a hand-drawn look :)

It was close..
99 to 1 looked a bit too much like a temple and nothing made it look like a tavern to me (though the unusual factor was certainly accounted for in that regard)
The Tunnel Tavern was *great* and a wonderful sense of humour showing through, and while I can say I've seen the occasional underground tavern location, none were set up in an actual tunnel :)
Blue Winter's Branch was also very well done - it reminds me a lot of the tavern from the first Dragonlance books (can't recall the name of it).
Crow's Feet was also well done, but it didn't come across as unusual to me (then again while I've seen hobbit taverns, i'll admit this is the first gnome tavern i recall)

But yeah, I'm letting my personal bias kick in this month and going for the hand-drawn look :P

(and since the rep machine seems to be arguing with me right now, I'll come back later to attend to that!)

moutarde
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Congratulations on your new shiny compass Aval :)

Redrobes
05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Wow how close was that ! Congrats !

Djekspek
05-19-2010, 05:03 PM
aye, gratz to Aval!

tilt
05-19-2010, 05:10 PM
congratulations Aval on a competition well won :)

ravells
05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Close one! Great entries both, Aval and Paradox! Rep to both of you!

Katto
05-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Congratulations Aval!

paradox_wanderer
05-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Ah! Lost by two! And I would have had it too if it wasn't for you dwarves and that keg.

Aval Penworth
05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who voted, for the advice and critique.

Gidde
05-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Grats Aval!

torstan
05-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Congratulations Aval! Well done on an excellent entry.

Steel General
05-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Congratz A.P.!