PDA

View Full Version : City State of Aslem for A.R. Frost

Steel General
05-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I was approached by A.R. Frost to do a map of his City State of Aslem. I finally had some time to sit down and get some work done on it - though I think this is gonna be a long one. :)

This is the very early stages, primarily just to get the land shapes and a general idea of where things will go.

The white lines are the rough boundaries of city, the inhabitants have cut canals through the city to make travel and commerce a bit easier. The puffy white thing across the river is just a placeholder for the water fall.

Feel free to leave any C&C

Ascension
05-15-2010, 05:58 PM
You make nice cities, bro, so this should turn out quite nice.

arsheesh
05-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing more (A.R. you lucky Dawg!).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

tilt
05-16-2010, 03:37 AM
looking good general ;) ... love the little cove - I'm guessing canals would be pretty straight since the are man-made, although natural difficulties like a huge rock might make the canal turn. The chanals in Venice has many twist and turns just like normal streets. I hope you'll add more canals and look forward to following your progress :)

A R Frost
05-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Looking good Steel. I really like the start of it, even though I can only upload the top half of the map but not really an issue since it's just the starting point.
I agree with you Ascension, that's why I asked Steel to do it for me. I know my map skills are a long way from being able to do my City State of Aslem true justice. I sent him several pictures and a few ideas I have about the city, and told Steel to create it how ever he felt it should be created. I'm sure it will rock when it's done.
And with my PC's currently working their way west to the Isle Kingdom of Jaxilon to have a set of weapons made, they won't reach Aslem for at least 3-4 months real time. What a shock they will have seeing Steel's version compared to my original version.
Damn, I feel like a kid at Chrismas, the huge present is under the tree but can't open it until Chrismas day... lol

Here is my original city map. It's gonna be like going from a horse drawn cart to a Lamborghini. Woot!!! So glad he agreed to do this for me.

Steel General
05-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Finally had a chance to do a little more today. I'm finding if I work on it more than a couple hours at a time I lose focus.

List of changes/updates;

Added a bit of a beach to the upper river land areas - it needed something and the beveled edge on the land in the original was to just much
Added the large forested area to the "western" edge and some of the islands
Redid the main city wall and added some of the towers
Darkened the water in the 'gorge' below the falls
Deepened the gorge a bit - I know this results in a bit of "perspective clash" but I like it so far
Redid the falls itself - still not 100% sure I'm happy with it, but it is definitely better than the first go.

@A.R. Frost - Does Aslem have a specific architectural look, i.e. European, Middle Eastern, Far Eastern etc? I don't recall anything in the notes you provided.

As always C&C is encouraged...

tilt
05-23-2010, 04:04 AM
A single thing struck me as I looked at the map - I believe that the canal that goes out into the lower lake shouldn't have a "waterfall" but rather have a lock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_(water_transport)) if the canals are going to be any use for traders :)

Steel General
05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
That is a good point Tilt, but I'll probably just put up some kind of gate or something so folks don't go shooting off into the gorge. :)

The gorge is fairly deep so a lock would be difficult at best to build.

A R Frost
05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Steel,
It looks great. And you can do what you want with the types of buildings. The orginal founder of the city, King Calayus Alerie Asil was holy knight and he built the main castle as his home. the city just started to form around Aslem as it became the halfway point for trade to get from the dwarfven kingdoms to the east to the human nations to the west. The lands to the south are pretty wild and uncontrolled once you get about 75 miles south of Aslem.

And sorry about the late post, I'm in the process of moving halfway across the country so no internet and using a droid phone on this site is pretty hard.

Allan

tilt
05-27-2010, 05:08 AM
That is a good point Tilt, but I'll probably just put up some kind of gate or something so folks don't go shooting off into the gorge. :)

The gorge is fairly deep so a lock would be difficult at best to build.

Okay, the deep gorge will make it difficult, of course if it was an important seeway a series of locks could do it. But an easier and cheaper solution would of course be to have a high and low harbour and ships just sailing their separate routes :)

Steel General
08-01-2010, 06:09 PM
With all the craziness going on at work over the past few months (I've switched employers) and a lack of creativeness on my part, the updates have been (too) few and far between.

I feel like I made some good progress today, still oodles to do - here's a list of changes/updates.

Expanded the canal system
Added the main castle - I pretty much just lifted this from my Shadizaar map and did some color/texture changes.
Still some tweaks to do here.
Added the buildings for "The Hole" (which I am assuming is some sort of prison)
Added the section of the city known as "The Kennel" - This also uses the same "style" for the buildings as my Shadizaar map.

Ascension
08-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I love the keep.

Icestorm008
08-05-2010, 06:17 AM
I love the texture used for the cliffs, the beach, and the forests. It's been challenging to put the first two into my current city map, which I plan to post soon, but these look great. Another good looking map!

A R Frost
08-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Steel, It's looking great!!!! Sorry I haven't posted very much still living in my 5th wheel. We get our house first of September. And should have internet the following week, but you never know how things will happen in a small little country town in Southern New Mexico. The main castle looks awesome. If you haven't started working on the area that was called the farm, you can just make it a burnt out section of town. My current group decided to start a gang war that involved a very powerful necromancer and they ended up burn the Farm District to the ground. And the city officials haven't decided what they are going to do with the land. The east-west trade, and the outer farms provides more then enough food for the the city.
Can't wait to see your next update.

Allan

Steel General
08-06-2010, 11:54 AM
If you haven't started working on the area that was called the farm, you can just make it a burnt out section of town. My current group decided to start a gang war that involved a very powerful necromancer and they ended up burn the Farm District to the ground. And the city officials haven't decided what they are going to do with the land.

I'll keep that in mind. I hope to get something more done this weekend.

Steel General
09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Finally another update... expanded the road system within the city walls and added the destroyed 'Farm' A R Frost mentioned in his last post.

I actually feel pretty good about the progress, trying to ease myself back into this again, not do to much at one time.

Steel General
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Not a huge update, but things are slowly coming along. Added the 'waterfront', the market, some experimental housing (Which I'm not thrilled with) and a couple of the walled noble 'estates'.

Feel free to leave comments, critiques, etc.

tilt
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I think one of the problems (which I myself also is working on) is the standard beveled roof, cause that makes roofs on big buildings rather huge. :)

Steel General
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah I agree tilt, if you compare the the housing I don't really care for against that in 'The Kennel' there's a huge difference. I think I may switch all of it over to my 'Shadizaar' style where the roof peaks aren't so overtly pronounced.

Steel General
09-09-2010, 06:05 PM
More noble 'estates', started the somewhat tedious task of filling in the houses and other buildings.

I finally am starting to feel I'm getting back into the "swing of things" after a long time. As always feel free to let looses with the C&C.

mearrin69
09-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Looking good. I like the way you've done the cliffs. One suggestion I have is to maybe reduce the mist at the top of the falls a bit so that you can see the water streaming over. Looks like some of the larger towers (upper wall and on that island) don't have shadows. Are there going to be bridges to the island estates? Or do they get there by boat? More rooftop color/brightness variation might be cool...but you may be planning to do that at a later stage. The textures look a little "noisy", but not sure if that's me and my screen or what. That's about all I've got! It's a neat map. I like the angular shapes of the city...it's kind of unique looking.
M

Steel General
09-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback Mearrin... Most of the towers are not complete, I placed them but didn't do the "detail" as of yet. There will be bridges where appropriate. I had been thinking of making the "remote" islands the home of the proverbial "mysterious wizard" - not sure yet. The 'noise' of the textures may be due to the fact that many of them have been reduced to such a small size (1% of original), may need to tinker a bit with those.

Steel General
09-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Another small update...

Completely redid the area known as 'The Kennel'
Re-worked a majority of the basic 'neighborhood blocks' and added a couple of new ones.

I'm finally to a point where I can see light at the end of the tunnel... maybe another week or so and I'll be done.

A R Frost
09-14-2010, 11:09 PM
SG, It's looking awesome. My internet was just installed at the house today. Three months of awesome maps to catch up on. I know that you all missed me. 8)

Ascension
09-15-2010, 12:04 AM
3 months?! Holy frejoles, what on earth did you do with yourself? I'da gone mad...madder.

Steel General
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
SG, It's looking awesome. My internet was just installed at the house today. Three months of awesome maps to catch up on. I know that you all missed me. 8)

Glad you like it, any other recent developments in your campaign you'd like me to incorporate?

A R Frost
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Hello, Steel General,
Hope all is well in your world? My world has been real bumpy lately, dealing with some unexplained and serious heart issues, hopefully all the test done this week will give me some answers. But, back to the real reason we are on this site.
Was wondering if you have dusted off The City-State of Aslem map and made any new advances on it? Can't wait to see the finished project.

Steel General
01-07-2011, 07:39 AM
@A R Frost

Sorry to hear about the health problems, hope everything turns out OK.

Unfortunately I haven't made much progress since my last update, my mapping mojo seems to have gone the way of the dodo. :(

I'm hoping some time away from mapping will re-invigorate the mojo so I can finish. However, if you feel the need to have someone else take it up and finish it, that's perfectly understandable.

A R Frost
01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
@ Steel General,
No rush, told you from the start it was on your terms and time, great thing are not built in one day... As much as I have been absent from the board since my move back to New Mexico last July, I haven't expected much progress on it. Hard to work on something when your not getting much feedback.
Still think it looks awesome, and I know the finished map will rock.
If and when you feel the desire to start creating again, see if you can add a large circular building next to one of the water ways in the Market District. My players have decided to start a trading company and buy a few ships. So I have created a large Merchant's Brotherhood that they have become a minor player in and several of the up coming adventures have a lot to do with the Merchant Hall.
Again,
Thanks for all your awesome work SG, it is greatly appreciated.
A R Frost

Jaxilon
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey Frost, take care of yourself. I must have missed this post before because I have been wondering where you went. Good to hear from you even if it's just a quick pop in.

Steel General
07-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Well it's been a while since I did anything with this... I really must apologize to A R Frost for not completing this yet.

I'm still really struggling with the creative process, every time I sit down and try to get something done on this (or anything else for that matter), I just stare at the screen trying to figure out where to begin. This really stinks! :?

jfrazierjr
07-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Well it's been a while since I did anything with this... I really must apologize to A R Frost for not completing this yet.

I'm still really struggling with the creative process, every time I sit down and try to get something done on this (or anything else for that matter), I just stare at the screen trying to figure out where to begin. This really stinks! :?

I know how you feel.. until a few weeks ago, I had not done any mapping in over a year.... Hopefully.. you can get you mojo flowin soon... Perhaps do something a bit less "structured"... like a quickie cartoony map that is just for doodling or something... Something that you say: "I will do what I can in X minutes" and then post it up and call it a day...