PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Tulan

paradox_wanderer
05-16-2010, 01:38 AM
No rivers or lakes. It's all generated through Photoshop. Earth sized world. What I'm really looking for is land mass and vegetation criticisms. Are the deserts appropriately sized and located? Are there enough plains and forests? Are the mountain clusters too large or too tall? Thanks for your expert advice. 24824

arsheesh
05-16-2010, 02:52 AM
That's looking nice. Sea shelf seems a bit overstated to me, but otherwise looks good. I'm no expert about the kind of geological and ecological details that you mentioned, so I will not venture to comment there. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Steel General
05-16-2010, 09:13 AM
If its a 'earth-sized' world, then the mountains may be a bit overstated. For me they need to run more in 'chains' or think of something like a snake skeleton (or something on that order).

Gidde
05-16-2010, 09:28 AM
The deserts should be centered at the tropics, rather than at the equator; the equator's actually very wet (at least on earth it is).

rdanhenry
05-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Desert zone depends on what kind of seasons you want. Seasons depend on axial tilt (well, that or either an eccentric orbit, but let's assume you don't want to get that exotic, or magical considerations, which I assume you're not including), as does the placement of desert zone(s). An equatorial desert belt goes with a zero or near-zero axial tilt, which also means very mild to non-existent seasons. If that's acceptable to you, then you can keep the deserts where they are. If you want more Earth-like conditions, you'll need an Earth-like axial tilt and this will move the desert into two zones off-set from the equator like the Earth has.

paradox_wanderer
05-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I like seasons and I'd never really connected the tilt with the locations of the deserts. Thinking about it you're right. Here's the adjustment: I also attempted to chain the mountains more. What do you think?

Gidde
05-16-2010, 09:28 PM
That's looking better, at least to my eye. I l also really like your color scheme, by the way.

Diamond
05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
That looks pretty nice; I really like the way those mountains look! The only crit I have is to maybe fade the edges of the desert into the surrounding terrain a bit. Right now the boundary between desert and not-desert looks artificial, too straight-line. It's not so apparent on the smaller desert in the southwest or the one on the island, but the two big ones just look off to me.

Overall though, this map rocks.

paradox_wanderer
05-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I've added a bit. Rivers and lakes look good? Boundaries look good? I admit I'm having more fun than I expected.

tilt
05-19-2010, 06:00 AM
very nice borders you've added - did you make them yourself? :)

paradox_wanderer
05-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Of course! I don't use any textures, borders, pieces that I haven't made myself. There's something satisfying about knowing everything you see, you made youself.

tilt
05-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I couldn't agree more - although I have plucked a texture here and there, but I hand draw where I can (or have the time) ;)