PDA

View Full Version : [Award Winner] Fastest town in the west

Ascension
05-17-2010, 01:16 AM
I had an idea and, like most of my messing around, my quick, rushed stuff comes out better than stuff I plan out for a month. The experiment took 5 minutes (pic j), the tut took about 2 hours to put together.

tilt
05-17-2010, 03:11 AM
very nice solution for a quick town ... I can picture the scenario...
Player: We'll just rest for some days in this town - where is the bar?
GM: You'll rest HERE?... two secs.... opens photoshop... click click click... turn on printer.... BRrzzzzghh... rahhg... kachang...
GM: Well, as you can see on the map the Inn is situated near the city square.. :)

Raskat
05-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Woow....excellent job ascension, excellent job! I'm in awe :D.

Steel General
05-17-2010, 08:15 AM
By jove, he's done it again! :D

ravells
05-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Fabulous! Great stuff again, big A!

Katto
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Can be realized very quick and the result looks very good, too. Thanks for the tutorial.

Natai
05-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Wow...
All hail Ascension!
Repped

LonewandererD
05-20-2010, 10:53 AM
God I wish I had had something like this before. Bravo Ascension!

-D-

icedsnake
05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
hehe looks neat ! im still no that good doing map ... ;( but i just don't give up ! Pretty good stuff right here.

bambua
05-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Awesome tutorial I had a lot of fun with this one...I can see using this to fill in some of the towns in my world that I need to on the fly. This also gave me some great idea for adding in quasi random objects using paths that I hadn't done before. This is also the first map I did with my first wacom tablet, so it was nice to break it on something fun :D

Ascension
05-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Looks pretty good, man. Not sure you ended up with those black shapes on some of the roofs, though. I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce that and then figure out how to eliminate them. Otherwise, it's a good quick little thing totally meant as a stop-over place while adventuring. Good job.

Notsonoble
05-21-2010, 06:33 PM
A lot of the brush settings aren't in GIMP... so your random buildings aren't gonna work for that... just about everything else can be recreated though...

Ascension
05-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah but Gimp has image pipes so there's a trade-off. If Adobe ever got around to making a dedicated art program instead of the catch-all that PS is they'd better damn well put image pipes in it.

mearrin69
05-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Nice tut. Here's my attempt. Didn't quite get the same look as you but I like it. I just took the buildings where they lay but some judicious editing during the process would have improved the map some...and some of my roads enclosed areas that were too small to receive buildings (path there went away).
M

Ascension
05-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Good stuff, man. Once you get used to the process and memorize it then it can take 5 minutes to do by hand or you could turn it into an action (after roads are drawn) and have it take 30 seconds. Here's what I'm currently working based on this tut, the only thing that I drew were the road structure, and I used the Pen tool to help me there, and the river...everything else is automated. This one isn't nearly as fast because I'm trying to emulate a hand draw look without drawing anything so I'm experimenting a lot.

mearrin69
05-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice. Love the sketchy look you've got for the road border.
M

mixx
05-24-2010, 06:35 AM
fantastic tutorial - exactly what I was looking for

bambua
05-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Looks pretty good, man. Not sure you ended up with those black shapes on some of the roofs, though. I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce that and then figure out how to eliminate them. Otherwise, it's a good quick little thing totally meant as a stop-over place while adventuring. Good job.

Yeah I'm not sure how that happens, honestly I may have missed a step or gazed over something quick. This helped me a lot in a session on saturday night, I had the PC's end up at a town I had never fleshed out before. I told them it was snack time took 5 minutes and boom town.

verdilak
09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Good stuff, man. Once you get used to the process and memorize it then it can take 5 minutes to do by hand or you could turn it into an action (after roads are drawn) and have it take 30 seconds. Here's what I'm currently working based on this tut, the only thing that I drew were the road structure, and I used the Pen tool to help me there, and the river...everything else is automated. This one isn't nearly as fast because I'm trying to emulate a hand draw look without drawing anything so I'm experimenting a lot.

I am brand new here... but I gotta ask, how did you do those buildings? Thats my biggest issue right now are buildings (are they a brush?). Also, the border for the roads and streets... ?

Ascension
09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
The buildings are covered in the tut. The road strokes I forget cuz it's been a while. It has something to do with creating a selection of the roads, putting a stroke on that selection, then make a random clouds layer, select the white (or black), remove the clouds, hit the delete key. Repeat the process for the next line.

verdilak
09-13-2010, 10:36 PM
The buildings are covered in the tut. The road strokes I forget cuz it's been a while. It has something to do with creating a selection of the roads, putting a stroke on that selection, then make a random clouds layer, select the white (or black), remove the clouds, hit the delete key. Repeat the process for the next line.

I'm sorry. I figured it out and that I do not have a square pencil brush. All of my "buildings" were just huts heh.

verdilak
09-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks man! Just finished with the map and it looks much better than I could ever be accused of being able to create!

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm44/laminterious/Untitled-1-2.jpg

Ascension
09-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Looks good, man.

DrVesuvius
09-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Has anyone successfully translated this (very very cool) technique to the GIMP?

I can sort of see bits of it, but I'm still a relative GIMP newbie and can't quite put the whole thing together.

FeralBuddy
11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I hope I'm not reviving an old thread. First let me say that I loved how simple and straightforward this tutorial was. Just starting out, the parts on textures and the various blending option were very helpful!
I ran into the same issue with the black section of the building (which were deleted pixels). I think I didn't select the color to delete for Color Mode and the Stroke was showing through. Well, here's my attempt.
I didn't really like the default Clouds texture for the ponds, so I used my own. But it was perfect for the trees.

Ascension
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Good stuff, dude. Glad you liked the tut as well. And don't worry about reviving old threads...there's so many old threads that many new guys never even see the old stuff.

Thesslian
01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Fear my powers of threadomancy! Neat tutorial. I managed to knock this out today. I think I screwed up the trees, but I think that maybe a signature thing for me. I learned a few things that photoshop could do that I didn't know. I didn't know you could get an action to do this much of the work. Can actions be shared like brushes and such?

ScotlandTom
01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Well if it weren't for your threadomancy, Thesslian, I wouldn't have discovered this tutorial. Thank you for your dark powers!

wildharmonic
06-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Wow, this seriously just blew my mind. Thank you so much!

Ogulrok
09-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Ive automated the process of making this kind of maps... im waiting on my post to be "approved" and i'll link it here

Big thx for this tutorial... thats a great and easy process for on the fly towns designs.