PDA

View Full Version : Generic Assassination locations...?

Gamerprinter
05-18-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm working on a short series of typical assassination locations in a medieval fantasy urban setting for a project. I need at the most 8 map locations. I am creating an aristocrat's bedroom, and lesser noble's court, so I need a few more. Any ideas?

GP

Ascension
05-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Secret passage from throne room to living quarters, balcony, church alcoves, wall or tower parapet, work office, library, harem, bedroom, the stands at a joust tournament, dining room, and my favorite...defenestration from anywhere high.

minimal
05-18-2010, 12:40 AM
One of my favorites: from behind a hanging or tapestry in the dining hall.

Gamerprinter
05-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Who can forget the defenestration of Prague, while meeting death at velocity is certainly fun, my assassins bear poisoned daggers, with some opportunity for ranged attempts. Though I'm putting in a balcony in the aristocrat's bedchamber (where I thought the assassin might gain access.) I like the idea of a balcony overlooking a main side street - works for a ranged assassination. The Harem, Library and Work Office seem appropriate as well. The dining room idea is kind of incorporated with the lesser noble's court already. That should be enough, perhaps throw in the church alcove as well.

Thanks!

GP

Aval Penworth
05-18-2010, 01:01 AM
I like assassins emerging from water with a blow-gun and poison dart. Also garrotte attack from the rafters is fun.

waldronate
05-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Colonel Mustard hiding in the latrine with a spear. More a revenge attack than escapable assassination, but still appropriate for a certain class of ruler (escapable if in an urban setting with flowing water / large enough sewers).

Jaxilon
05-18-2010, 01:20 AM
The Stables? Have to be really good to avoid setting off the horses.

Did anyone say the Topiary? That would be awesome, from the mouth of the giant octopus I send thee!

Gamerprinter
05-18-2010, 03:23 AM
No map to show yet, but here are a couple assassin illustrations for the project, these will be made into paper-minis for the project, as well as possible interior illustrations. The first one, you'll notice I made into a Wanted Poster for the project as well. I have yet to create the guildmaster of assassin, but that's next.

GP

tilt
05-18-2010, 04:11 AM
Colonel Mustard hiding in the latrine with a spear. More a revenge attack than escapable assassination, but still appropriate for a certain class of ruler (escapable if in an urban setting with flowing water / large enough sewers).
*ROFL*
Nice project GP, sounds like you allready have a good handfull of ideas, but what about castle gardens? Or a guild room, an alchymists chambers ... lots of things to upset in there ;)

Notsonoble
05-18-2010, 08:57 PM
For High Fantasy... I like the park... yeah the park, but my assassin's are treants...

Greason Wolfe
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Ah, but the true measure of an assassin's skill is if he/she can get away with it in broad daylight on a well traveled public street . . .

GW

Sigurd
05-20-2010, 01:04 PM
First places that come to mind are sites of decadence - bathhouses, brothels, private chateau etc

Also, I don't know how you'd do it. Wagons & Carriages.

Sigurd

Gamerprinter
05-20-2010, 11:12 PM
I like the Bathhouse idea. And while brothels are there, it might not be appropriate for all audiences, so I'd abstain from that. But the carriage idea is brilliant, I can do that no problem! Thanks for the ideas! Have some REP!

GP

Gamerprinter
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
OK, since these are for publication, I won't post all of them and these are only 100 ppi for a reduced size version - these are bonus maps for the project, so it's not too critical if you use them for your games. Two assassination sites - one is noble or aristocrats bedroom, the second is a noble's carriage.

Since the main project map is hand-drawn, I had to keep that style with these bonus maps.

Enjoy!

GP

Juggernaut1981
06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Assassination Locations:

Wardrobe (proper "old" Wardrobes were actually small rooms filled with clothes. A proper walk-in "closet"/wardrobe and usually connected to either a wash-chamber or the personage's bedchamber)

Carriages. Love a good carriage killing. Usual tricks: sabotage the wheels, shoot the horses while they're at speed, "pretend mugging"

During "Court". Lots of people, lots of witnesses, lots of places to hide. An ideal way to shoot a king with a poisoned crossbow and escape in the chaos.

Festival Day Killing. (This includes killing at the local Joust). King Whassisname and Mrs King will be sitting in a nice prominent position, able to be easily spied from a great distance and either shot or have their thrones tampered with so they get poisoned via the Royal Seat... Again, plenty of chaos to escape in.

"Oops did I swap the Bath Oils for Lethal Toxins"... This should explain itself and will probably result in the Medieval "Man-in-the-Red-Shirt*" getting executed for the killing. (*Star Trek reference)

Gamerprinter
06-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Good ideas, Juggie! Then I should add an extension to the bedroom map, get rid of that bench on the south by the fireplace, put in a wardrobe with a door at that spot, then move the bath with a privy in a chamber beyond. I wanted to put in a private desk in the bedroom and some sitting furniture.

I've got a court, but didn't post it. You see the carriage, so got that already, so we're on the same track.

GP

tilt
06-03-2010, 02:06 AM
very nice - I would say, however, that a prominent person would have two white horses, and definitly not different colored ones :)

Gamerprinter
06-03-2010, 04:26 AM
@ Tilt - that's smart, will fix that right away (tomorrow).

@ Juggie - I opted to go for the aristocrat's bed chamber with attached wardrobe and privy, still working on it, but here's an update on what they look like. I stole parts of the other map to recreate the walls and floor, moved the bathtub into the privy chamber, stole my privy from my Assassin's Lair map. Now I need to put a wooden separation wall with a doorway to separate the wardrobe on the left from the privy and bath on the right. Will put in clothing on the rack, dressers, a desk and a small couch for the bedroom and call this complete.

Oh the bed covers clashed with the floor, so I made the covers burgandy to match the floor better - aristocrats do have a fashion sense, or at least someone on the staff does. :P

GP

Gamerprinter
06-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Sorry, I should have posted this thread in the WIP forums, but at the time didn't think this would happen. Anyway, I think I'm done with the 2.5 maps posted here. For Tilt I made the carriage horses white - as might be more appropriate for an aristocrats vehicle. I finished the wardrobe and privy, added clothes on racks, a wall between the wardrobe and privy, and another door going south (up to GM, but probably another aristocratic bedroom). I created a desk and a lounging couch in front of the fireplace - these maps are done!

GP

RobA
06-04-2010, 12:33 AM
(Moved to the WIP forum...)

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
06-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks, RobA, I thought this thread should go here, once I started to make changes to the maps posted. In this final version I put in some light and shadow effects to the main room with candles, candelabra, light from the window balcony and slight shadowing everywhere else.

GP

Gidde
06-05-2010, 02:50 AM
These just keep getting better and better, GP. I remain in jealous awe of your battle-mapping skills.