PDA

View Full Version : Drachewelt - WIP

bambua
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Just wanted to toss my first post up, this is a work in progress of my new campaign world for 4E. Eventually when it's done it will be used in Maptools for projecting for the players. Took some inspiration from Tears on how to do Oceans as I had never done them before, drew my own continents. Tons of great information here and would love any comments :D

Jaxilon
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I like it, although I'm not sure if you may want it bigger? The zoom doesn't give a lot more but maybe you can only go so big for Maptools? Someone with more knowledge than I may be able to tell you better. Give it a day. :)

Good Ocean effect and I like the shape of the lands. Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

tilt
05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Good beginning, but I agree with Jax - it's very small for a continent.. you won't be able to fit so many details in... but have some rep for posting your first map :)

bambua
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
The main map is actually 4000 x 3000 so I have a ton of room to actually work with, I scaled it down so it wouldn't be such a huge upload, do folks usually toss up their full scale drawings?

tilt
05-18-2010, 12:21 PM
*lol*.. ok cool .. no, lots of people scale down until they show the final map - and sometimes cut out a bit in full scale to show off details :)
but since you're new we just weren't sure if you did that or were about to make a huge mistake :)

bambua
05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
*lol*.. ok cool .. no, lots of people scale down until they show the final map - and sometimes cut out a bit in full scale to show off details :)
but since you're new we just weren't sure if you did that or were about to make a huge mistake :)

Oh that's cool I appreciate the concern :) I'm new to the cartographer end of things but I do photoshop comps/websites for a living and have been bitten by the too small source before. I tend to almost make things too big LOL!

tilt
05-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Well, I've almost finished my "mountain realms" map and it turns out, that I should have made it double the size ... and I'm also used to starting big - but this was my first map for rpgs done digitally. So I made it to fit an A4 so I could print it myself, but now I regret not going bigger *lol*

Katto
05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
A nice landmass do you have there, but I am irritated with the title: do you mean Dragonworld? If so you had to insert a "n": Drachenwelt. Meaning the land of one or more dragons.

jwbjerk
05-18-2010, 02:27 PM
* The coastal shape looks good to me, except it is visibly constrained by the size of the rectangle you started with. If you expanded the document size to include a whole lot of ocean around the edges, anybody could still guess with a high degree of accuracy how big the original document was, since on all sides you have land ending right on or close to the edge of your document.

* Is what you've shown the whole world?
If so, and it's supposed to be a round world, you'll generally want a surface 2X as wide as it is tall, so you can easily wrap in around a sphere.

bambua
05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
A nice landmass do you have there, but I am irritated with the title: do you mean Dragonworld? If so you had to insert a "n": Drachenwelt. Meaning the land of one or more dragons.

Thanks for that actually, my german is a bit rusty, I'll correct that going forward.

bambua
05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
* The coastal shape looks good to me, except it is visibly constrained by the size of the rectangle you started with. If you expanded the document size to include a whole lot of ocean around the edges, anybody could still guess with a high degree of accuracy how big the original document was, since on all sides you have land ending right on or close to the edge of your document.

* Is what you've shown the whole world?
If so, and it's supposed to be a round world, you'll generally want a surface 2X as wide as it is tall, so you can easily wrap in around a sphere.

At this point it's only one portion of the world, similar to our world western hemisphere. I'm leaving the rest of it open for when I do other things.

bambua
05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
So I took some advice that was posted here, changed the content orientation a bit and spread it out to the whole world map. It's a bit earlier in the process than the first post was but just wanted to see if there was any feedback on this shape change.

jwbjerk
05-20-2010, 09:18 PM
It looks good flat.

Have you considered how this will look wrapped around a sphere? The northern and southern most bits get noticeably distorted.

EDIT: i've wanted an easy explanation of how to check for polar distortion before, so i through together a quick tutorial of my method, here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10475-How-to-view-a-Flat-world-map-in-the-Round

Please forgive the promotion of my own tutorial, but i haven't found another explanation of how to do this.

bambua
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I'll give this a try, thanks!

It looks good flat.

Have you considered how this will look wrapped around a sphere? The northern and southern most bits get noticeably distorted.

EDIT: i've wanted an easy explanation of how to check for polar distortion before, so i through together a quick tutorial of my method, here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10475-How-to-view-a-Flat-world-map-in-the-Round

Please forgive the promotion of my own tutorial, but i haven't found another explanation of how to do this.

bambua
05-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Tossed them into sketchup and saw how distorted it got, made a few changes and added the poles in. Now time to get to the real map making :D

Thanks for the input JWB, appreciated.

alizarine
05-23-2010, 10:08 PM
If you have PS CS2+ (maybe CS +, not sure) you can map an image around a 3d sphere - that way you don't even have to leave PS at all. I do like where this is going except the ice caps are a bit distorted - that isn't too hard to fix, tho'. Looking forward to some more detail, even if you do have to reduce the size to upload!

- Alizarine

jwbjerk
05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
bambua: It's fun to see your world in 3d for the first time isn't it?

If you have PS CS2+ (maybe CS +, not sure) you can map an image around a 3d sphere - that way you don't even have to leave PS at all.There is Filter>Distort>Sphereize but that's no good for looking at the poles. Your perspective is always looking straight at the equator, and it distorts the polar edges differently, so it's no good at seeing how your map would actually look wrapped around a sphere.

Photoshop CS 3 and 4 EXTENDED, have some 3d features, that i'm not familiar with since i didn't pay extra for the extended version.

bambua
05-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Newest work in progress shot, finished mountains on all of the continents and have most of the major rivers done in the central western continent. Having a lot of fun with this one.

bambua
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Closeup of a region where I've added in the forest, I made a custom brush and painted it in with just a real low opacity and a little bit of bevel. I'm having a little bit of trouble with placing the forest over mountain areas right now as it's bleeding out all of the terrain, still working on that :D

Sadist
05-27-2010, 01:34 PM
First off,
GREAT looking map bambua! looks like your making a lot of headway too. can't wait to see it finished!

It looks good flat.

The other easy way is to open it up in Google Earth ( I love Google) I like it because you can load up smaller images like cities and things and zoom down in on them just like our planet
If you have GE just go to the Add button on the toolbar, go down to Image Overlay, pick the file you want and stretch and size to fit, looks like the same result as Sketchup, but I'm familiar with GE so, there ya go,
can you overlay multiple images in sketchup? I'll have to take a look.

Sadist
05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Closeup of a region where I've added in the forest, I made a custom brush and painted it in with just a real low opacity and a little bit of bevel. I'm having a little bit of trouble with placing the forest over mountain areas right now as it's bleeding out all of the terrain, still working on that :D

have you tried using a pattern overlay instead of the brush to build the pattern over the terrain? might be worth a look.

bambua
05-27-2010, 05:48 PM
have you tried using a pattern overlay instead of the brush to build the pattern over the terrain? might be worth a look.

I tried an overlay and it still didn't look quite right but I think multiply has done the trick.

bambua
06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
New WIP shot, started work on the deserts, and expanded the forest to the central continent, not sure about how they look yet, might still need some tweaking.

Diamond
06-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Looking really good so far. Question: Why do the rivers on that central continent look different than the ones on the western continent? They look wider, with a stroke that follows in from the coastline. For what it's worth, I actually really like that look...

bambua
06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Looking really good so far. Question: Why do the rivers on that central continent look different than the ones on the western continent? They look wider, with a stroke that follows in from the coastline. For what it's worth, I actually really like that look...

I'm going to redo the rivers on the first one to the way did them on the second, from a couple tutorials on here I learned how to have it stroke a path and set the size jitter to fade on the brush and I got that effect. It's one of the next things I'm going to do :)

thanks for the feedback!

bambua
06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Playing around with some label and city icon ideas, pretty happy with how it's coming along :D