PDA

View Full Version : Dhonowlgos, large island (scandinavia sized)

zhar2
05-20-2010, 02:47 PM
This is a map for my nation within a game currently being develope, hope u like it and can provide me with critism:

sorry i havent posted anything a while, its been a hectic time latetly (just finished examns).

Katto
05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I feel like Sherlock Holmes at the moment. The text/symbols on the map correspond with the signs/flags/banner at the top, am I right? Why don't you use the signs directly on are above the countries? Please tell us more about your new nation.
The layout and continent shape is very nice, even the use of the symbols. I like the sunbeams that are emitted from the capital? of your nation.

zhar2
05-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh yeah, sorry, thats a font i specially created for the nation (yeah thats the capital).

I decided that i would make a symbol for each "county" as there are just too many (only for the dominant ones), yeah that the capital "holy city", a shining beacon in a world of darkness :D

Aenigma
05-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Dude! That's an awesome layout! Heck, more than awesome... It's Gorgeous!!

Steel General
05-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Looks good..

jwbjerk
05-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Awesome.
Very unique symbols. It's nice to get away from the millionth permutation of flags based on 3 parallel stripes of color. So obviously these aren't flags. What physical item to they spring from?

Your typeface feels very authentic too, sort of like a cross between Arabic and Tamil.

Connecting the symbols to the appropriate areas is not very easy, but it gives the map a feeling of authenticity, as it it really was designed for the use of people in a different culture.

Natai
05-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Very cool. Very original.
The layout is awesome and the beams coming out of the capital give it a great feel of authenticity while simultaneously giving you an idea of the culture that created it.
Definitely makes me want to know more about the cultures and nations of your world. Great work.

zhar2
05-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Oh i forgot this is a WIP
heres a better version imho:

tilt
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
that looks really good, and I agree with the others very interesting symbols you got there :)

zhar2
05-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow thank you, but arent there any critism in particular?

Rythal
05-21-2010, 11:23 PM
sigh... since you asked for it. *puts on critic cap*

The smaller text on the map is kinda difficult to see. Of course, this is easily fixed with a larger res. Tbh, however, the sunrays look kinda meh/tackey to me. just my opinion though.

Also, the peaks of the mountains seem kind of... soft to me. I always see mountains as having jagged peaks, at least in a map of this style. Actually, I am having trouble telly what is mountain valleys and what is rivers.

Theres some critism for you, hope it helps.

Ascension
05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
If I had to change anything it would be to blur the relief shading a bit to soften it, draw in some black rivers, and maybe lighten that red symbol or blur it to make it look inked instead of computer-crisp. You asked :) It's a pretty cool map, though, so the tweaks are minor except for drawing rivers. If you're working at twice the posted size then most of these might not be needed so if you are working at twice the size then I'd like to see a full size version (like a 2000 x 2000 section) just to see what it looks like at full size to see better.

jwbjerk
05-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Wow thank you, but arent there any critism in particular?

I don't know what tech level you intend this nation to have, but with the addition of the elevation shading in the second example, it start to look less like an artifact of an unknown culture-- unless the culture has tech within a few decades of our own. Mapping to that level of detail and then rendering it out is a pretty modern-style accomplishment.

Also if you are looking for perfection, the elevation you have (should you choose to keep it) is pretty uniform. Most large areas on earth have examples of wide nearly flat places, broad gradual changes in elevation, and sharp sudden changes in elevation.

zhar2
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
If I had to change anything it would be to blur the relief shading a bit to soften it, draw in some black rivers, and maybe lighten that red symbol or blur it to make it look inked instead of computer-crisp. You asked :) It's a pretty cool map, though, so the tweaks are minor except for drawing rivers. If you're working at twice the posted size then most of these might not be needed so if you are working at twice the size then I'd like to see a full size version (like a 2000 x 2000 section) just to see what it looks like at full size to see better.

Actually the full size is 9000px wide :(, but thats i will certainly work on those sugestions (thank u all).

zhar2
05-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok heres a large and better version, aged and so on, does it look nicer :) ?

Also i worked on the mountains, i instead did a rough relief (as if done by mediaval map makes, hence inacurate).

Davros01
05-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Wow, very nice map.