PDA

View Full Version : Felseth

kalvinlyle
05-24-2010, 02:38 AM
I made this map for dragonsnout. It was a request from waaaay back. See this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9379-Could-you-please-color-my-map).

So this is basically my first real map. It's no Blackmount Empire haha! I've mucked about in Photoshop a bunch of times but never really finished anything. Mountains are I think by far the most difficult part. I just downloaded the demo of Geocontrol 2 :)

Any comments or thoughts?

tilt
05-24-2010, 02:47 AM
looks really good - and congratulations on your first map - have some rep :)

Diamond
05-24-2010, 02:50 AM
That does look good! That terrain's much more convincing and 'real' than anything I could do. The only nitpick I have is that in a few places, the mountains actually look 'sunken' into the terrain, especially those small areas in the west. But other than that, fantastic. Repped.

Katto
05-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Looks very good so far! I agree with Diamond, modify the mountains to give them height.

kalvinlyle
05-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Good suggestion on the mountains. I think that made a huge improvement. What do you guys think?

Diamond
05-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Yep, that looks 100% better.

alizarine
05-25-2010, 02:40 AM
Other than the little bit of "sinking" of the mountains on the first map, I quite liked it and yet you managed to improve it a lot just with that little mountain edit! I love how well everything fits together - no part looks slapped on or pasted in. It's not so seamless it looks blurry, either; even the roads look good, and stand out enough to see. I really like the compass too ^.^ Personally, I'd try to integrate the roads more into the landscape, but if they're really important it might be hard not to lose them. And if this is used for navigation, it might be better to leave them more visible like you have them. Looking forward to some labels; there's got to be a story behind such a great map ^.^

- Alizarine

Aval Penworth
05-25-2010, 02:45 AM
Agreed. I'm impressed.

Katto
05-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Much better now. Looking forward to the next update.

tilt
05-25-2010, 04:08 AM
nice improvement with the mountains :)

Steel General
05-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Coming along quite nicely.

kalvinlyle
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Good suggestion about the roads. It's so close to a natural look the overlays of road ruin it a bit. I carved the roads into the trees and removed the cities for now. I'll do them in 3D I think and pop the renders on top. I'm thinking about adding some farmland, but that's going to be a huge pain unless someone's got a trick or two up their sleeve? Haha anyone?

Also, I grabbed some reference for scale and adjusted that and noticed the colours were way to saturated. Added some beaches.

Thoughts? Comments? Even small things. Mention it all. So far the comments to the map have improved it immensely! Thanks guys and keep it coming.

Katto
05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Hm, the foothills look a bit blurry to me, like the scale doesn't match to the rest. Perhaps adding more brown and a bit of shape?

tilt
05-26-2010, 02:16 AM
The roads look really good, but the towns dissapeared, and concidering your scale at least large settlements should show up. :)

kalvinlyle
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Do you mean the brown areas near the middle mountain?

I removed the cities for now. I'm going to do the settlements in 3D and maybe add some farmland.

Just about to get on a plane to Stockholm. Won't get a chance to work on this until Monday. Have a great weekend guys!

Katto
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
I mean the areas left and right of the central mountain (in the middle of the map) and the area next to the mountain below. It won't fit to the whole scaling, but that's just my opinion.

kalvinlyle
05-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Added some farmland and buildings (but you can't really see them).

PokealypseNow
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I think the farmland came out really well, man. Nice!

Sadist
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
hmm, something to think about, if the scale is right, the mountains should still show quite a bit of forestation, with a few bits of craggy rock sticking out here and there...I'm going on my own observation of where I live btw, there are hills and mountains that look to be about the same size, and they are covered in trees, at least there should be some forest growth up the sides of the mountain, perhaps becoming more sparse as the treeline ascends...
another thing,
I like the beaches, however, again at this scale, they are too smooth, perhaps a little more jagged and kinda-sorta random along the edges...
it might help to pull up either google maps or google earth and look at some satellite photos of coastlines at that scale, just to get a feel of how things look on our planet,
but hang on...if you look at 1 Km or 1mile as about 20-39 minutes walking distance, why does it go from lush green to desert so quickly? perhaps the scale needs adjustment?
maybe that helps, I hope it does
otherwise I really love the textures and feel of the map. I really like how the roads cut through the terrain like that as well, it looks awesome! the colors are really vivid and clear as well, I get a good sense of visualization, I can see myself in the terrain, it's very pleasing!

landorl
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I am liking this a lot. I would like to see a little more zoomed in because it is rather difficult to see the roads and farms. This is one of the better "realistic" map styles that I have seen.
The mountains look very good, but what Sadist said is true. There will be trees on most mountains unless they are dry, wind swept, very rough, or they are higher than the line where trees grow. However, if you put trees on them, then you loose the great details, so it is a trade off.

tilt
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I also agree with Sadist, the scale might be of on some elements, a km takes about 10 minutes in fast walk and thats a good guide in how many types of territory there should be :)

Sadist
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I usually walk at a very leisurely pace...:)
or rather, I WISH I could walk at a leisurely pace
I'm usually late

philipstephen
05-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I hope you will make a tutorial after this map... because it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

LonewandererD
05-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Ditto with the previous post, your style is awesome. Tried to rep but need to spread more around first.

-D-

kalvinlyle
05-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

hmm, something to think about, if the scale is right, the mountains should still show quite a bit of forestation, with a few bits of craggy rock sticking out here and there...I'm going on my own observation of where I live btw, there are hills and mountains that look to be about the same size, and they are covered in trees, at least there should be some forest growth up the sides of the mountain, perhaps becoming more sparse as the treeline ascends...
another thing,
I like the beaches, however, again at this scale, they are too smooth, perhaps a little more jagged and kinda-sorta random along the edges...
it might help to pull up either google maps or google earth and look at some satellite photos of coastlines at that scale, just to get a feel of how things look on our planet,
but hang on...if you look at 1 Km or 1mile as about 20-39 minutes walking distance, why does it go from lush green to desert so quickly? perhaps the scale needs adjustment?
maybe that helps, I hope it does
otherwise I really love the textures and feel of the map. I really like how the roads cut through the terrain like that as well, it looks awesome! the colors are really vivid and clear as well, I get a good sense of visualization, I can see myself in the terrain, it's very pleasing!

Yeah I see what you mean about the scale. That's been bugging me too, but I couldn't see what was wrong. I'm going to cut the scale in half rather than change the terrain. I think the farms will still work at that scale. The terrain issue you pointed out is something I think I need to plan out better from the start.

I am liking this a lot. I would like to see a little more zoomed in because it is rather difficult to see the roads and farms. This is one of the better "realistic" map styles that I have seen.
The mountains look very good, but what Sadist said is true. There will be trees on most mountains unless they are dry, wind swept, very rough, or they are higher than the line where trees grow. However, if you put trees on them, then you loose the great details, so it is a trade off.

Yeah agreed, I'm going to adjust the scale, call it done and label it. The next map will be better I think :D

I hope you will make a tutorial after this map... because it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Thanks! I'm going to stick a fork in this one and call it done (after a few more tweaks) then start on a new one today. I'll record my steps and see if there's anything I can turn into a tutorial. Mostly it's what I've learned through the tutorials on this site, but I'lll see if I'm doing something different.

Natai
06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Agreed. Gorgeous map definitely begging to be made into a tutorial. Great work.
Repped

kalvinlyle
06-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's what I'd like to call the final labelled map. Let me know what you think.

If you can think of a better style for the labels I'd love to find one. I find the naked map more pleasant to look at. I had a hard time balancing readability and integration in the labelling.

I'm eager to hear what you guys think.

Also, I've been trying to boil what I've done here into a tutorial or something. I'm about half way through it now. Hopefully I'll have something to share by next weekend.

Aelyn
06-05-2010, 11:43 AM
I really really like it! Almost looks like a satellite picture, but with a more artistic touch to it. Please finish that tutorial, I'd really like to try making something as pretty. :) Oh, and it's really nice to see I'm not the only one who has troubles with mountains!

Diamond
06-06-2010, 01:17 AM
I agree; please do finish that tutorial. Forests freaking kill me, and you've nailed a look here that I'd love to use.

This is one beautiful map. Everything just blends so well together. Really, I only have two nitpicks:

1) Some of the text is hard to read, especially the names of the lakes. I'm assuming this is actually part of a much larger map, since some of the names are cut off, so it may not be an issue at a greater resolution.

2) You've got settlements labeled, but... I can't see them. Might be a resolution/scale issue, or maybe I'm just going blind in my old age. :D

I'd rep ya again, but I can't just yet.

LonewandererD
06-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Ditto on the lake labels and settlements, they are some what hard to make out. Other than that this is a brilliant map, especially those forests, very realistic.

-D-

tilt
06-06-2010, 02:51 AM
That ended up really good - the labels are a bit hard to read as Diamond and Lonew said, but maybe thats a question of the size you've uploaded? :)

kalvinlyle
06-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Altered the label opacity slightly and marked the settlements. Also, this version of the map is only half the source resolution.

Thoughts?

arsheesh
06-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Wow! This map looks fantastic. The mountains, forests and hills all look so lifelike. Much impressed Kalvin. Regarding the labels, they all look good to me except the mountain labels. There is just something a little jarring about the contrast of the bright yellow and the black. I found it to be a bit of a distraction personally. Perhaps if the black border surrounding the yellow label were smaller and less pronounced it would look more natural. Other than that great job! (repped).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

RobA
06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
This almost hits that "uncanny valley" thing for me. It looks so photorealistic like a satellite image but not quite.

-Rob A>

Redrobes
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
This is such a great satellite style map. My only crit is that I think some of the names should be just plain horizontal. The one top right coast especially seems on that odd angle for no reason. The trees and general color is particularly nice. Really good work there.

Jaxilon
06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow! Amazingly realistic. Great job.

Master TMO
06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Nice work!

Juggernaut1981
06-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Dude, consider yourself rep-noodled for doing something that I seriously cannot manage to do properly (Sat-style is waaaay out of my range of skills).

*Ftang*

kalvinlyle
06-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Haha Uncanny Valley. I totally know what you mean. I think I can improve that feel on the next one by planning the terrain types better for the map scale. I hope :/

I got a bit carried away on the curved text for the city names. I'll sort that and the mountain text border in the next revision tonight. I think I might play around with a border or something as well. Something simple.

Anything else?

Katto
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes, another map in this style, please :)

kalvinlyle
06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Posted a rough tutorial for this style:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10768-Satellite-Style-Photoshop-Terrain-Part-1&p=116049#post116049

It covers the steps I took to create the land and ocean. I'll create another one for the trees roads etc.

kalvinlyle
06-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Here is the final map. I'll post it in the finished map section today.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! It made a big difference.

The-Somberlain
06-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Great map! Clean and crisp, informative and not too crowded. Very nice!