PDA

View Full Version : Cairan WIP Critique!

Yandor
05-24-2010, 02:40 AM
This is just a side project and still have my world project to do, but I was playing with Fractal Terrains, and was messing around with this Tutorial (http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html) Anyways, I was just developing a continent islandish thingy but needless to say I think the result is coming a long nicely...

Well two "Styles" I would like any input on.... I know the desert needs some work and the forests need better placement, but I was wondering if I should go for the flatter look or have the elevation in there... Let me know!

tilt
05-24-2010, 02:52 AM
I always like the look of elevation - your ocean looks a bit elevated too?

Yandor
05-24-2010, 03:02 AM
oops haha yeah Tilt I forgot to "smooth" the ocean elevation in the flatter picture, but I was leaning more towards the elevation map more as well.

Kyguar
05-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Looks real good man!
Think you should go for more elevation, like how the close water spread in your map. And yea, elevation of the ocean.

Yandor
05-31-2010, 05:51 PM
So... I decided to start over, once my brother gave the comment "Hey that looks like Japan" ha and I wouldn't want to rip off mother nature now would I?

Anyways I started over as I said, and decided to take a different approach to it, this is the result so far, let me know what you think!! There really isn't any reason behind where I threw the desert or the forests, it was just for a "example" I guess.

P.s. Base land was done in Fractal Terrains, and all imported into Photoshop for all the effects and color etc

Yandor
06-01-2010, 01:07 AM
messed with the mountains a little, its coming along nicely though, I'm sure there are little things here and there I could fix, if you see any of those things let me know!

pasis
06-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Looking good man. One thing you could try is to make the forest slither to the mountains in some places and maybe break up the forest form a bit overall to make them a less even outlined.

tilt
06-01-2010, 03:53 AM
looking good Yandor, and you don't have a mountainous ocean this time ;) One thing I think about however is what scale this is. If its a really huge map, I feel perhaps some of the mountain regions are to large and should be broken up more as mountain arises where tectonic plates come together they would exist in "ridges" rather than "plains". If its a "not so huge" map then I feel you lack a little elevation in the middle of the mountain areas :)

Yandor
06-03-2010, 05:05 AM
Looking good man. One thing you could try is to make the forest slither to the mountains in some places and maybe break up the forest form a bit overall to make them a less even outlined.

Still trying to figure out how to do that with all the layers and things, haven't come up with a decent result.... Thanks for the idea and help!

looking good Yandor, and you don't have a mountainous ocean this time One thing I think about however is what scale this is. If its a really huge map, I feel perhaps some of the mountain regions are to large and should be broken up more as mountain arises where tectonic plates come together they would exist in "ridges" rather than "plains". If its a "not so huge" map then I feel you lack a little elevation in the middle of the mountain areas

Thanks again for the ocean mountain business, tried my best to fix it this time around, and as for the scale, its on the "not so Big" scale, and still trying to fiddle with the mountains to acutally get a "good" result, but just making due with what I have, thanks though!

So another update, I fixed most of the ocean (more then likely wont be fixing unless something big needs fixing) and filled in most if not all the lakes, and made more planes. Anyways tell me what you think!

I still have tons of work to do on the Mountains and Forests...

Yandor
06-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Well I tried to make the mountains "Pop" a bit more, and still messing with what type of city placement, and display. Also still messing with the "scale" donno how big I exactly want it to be... But please let me know whats good, bad, or any other ideas too!

Noticed, that the "snow" on the top most mountain needs some work, along with the placement of the forests...

Rythal
06-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Looks pretty good.

imo, the mountains are pretty blurry, and perhaps have a bit too much texture.

Also, there should be more transition between the desert and the grass. Perhaps give it a medium gaussian blur or something.

tilt
06-18-2010, 05:20 AM
imo, the mountains are pretty blurry, and perhaps have a bit too much texture.

but they have a much better height now :)

Yandor
06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Well I took a stab at reducing the "texture" kind of hard since it was the actual fractal terrains output map donno if I did much... also tried to sharpen the mountains, and blend the forests a bit better. didn't touch the cities...

Dumb, the mountains I had didn't save... didn't realize when I went in and sharpened them... So disregard the mountains, they are the same just sharpened... I had before fixed em up a lot better, hopefully I can do it again...

Yandor
06-22-2010, 01:46 AM
lol so I got fed up with the other mountains, just too hard to really fix or mess with, so I made some new ones. If you guys could answer the questions, or notice anything please let me know!

1. How are the mountains?
2. What city display is better, Pic 1 or 2
3. City labels
4. Removal of the upper desert? good? bad?

Decided to get your opinion first before I continued on with what I was doing.

tilt
06-22-2010, 02:22 AM
1. I like the mountains - perhaps a little more texture to them, so they are not so smooth
2. I like display 1, but with a grey underlay to the cities - however, I do feel your cities are rather large, the big one is 20 miles across - which is big even for a modern city
3. The labels look good, but I think you'll find them a big large when you start labeling the rest of your elements, as you normally will label bigger things - bigger :) ... so a forest, mountain and ocean should be even bigger than your city labels
4. I like that, it works :)

Yandor
06-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks tilt, I'll start down sizing on most of it, I didn't even think of scale, I was just click happy =D haha so I'll go in and see what I can do.

Yandor
06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
So I tried to get a bit more texture to the mountains, shrunk the cities a bit and added the gray underlay as Tilt suggested, also shrunk the labels down a bit and added the landscape name as well. Tell me if it works or what more I should change to make it better before I go all crazy on it.

tilt
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
looking good ... that was some damn good advice you got there... *rofl*
I'm not sure the label works for the forrests, but perhaps its just because its the first time I see it :)

Yandor
06-23-2010, 03:43 AM
So a simple update really, added in a few things.

1. Marshes
2. Fields
3. Cracks & Dunes in the desert.

Let me know if those work or not or whatever!

Yandor
06-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Getting closer to finishing this, just need to finish off the roads add a few rivers, finish labeling everything and I'm good to go, unless anyone has any ideas or suggestions then it might be a bit longer but please let me know if there is anything I should fix!

arsheesh
06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey that's looking nice! Ya'know, I really like your fields. I actually attempted to do something similar in the last map I made, but wasn't impressed with the results and so canned it. Are you using a texture for the fields? If so, would you mind sharing it, I know I would be interested.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Yandor
06-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey that's looking nice! Ya'know, I really like your fields. I actually attempted to do something similar in the last map I made, but wasn't impressed with the results and so canned it. Are you using a texture for the fields? If so, would you mind sharing it, I know I would be interested.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Its bambua's Farm tile, the second one he has posted (farther down in the thread) and all I did was put it as a "Hard Light" layer blend... with 4b5823 that color of green under it, but that was the color of my ground/grass anyways. Hopefully that helps you out a bit. Also just filled the new layer with just the fields and used a layer mask to place them down.
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10558-Farm-tile

Anyways this is the latest so far, I have all the names of the Cities, and Kingdoms, (not all the villages though) just need to actually do it, but finished the roads, and debating on where I want to stick the "Noticeably Big" Rivers only... but any comments, concerns, ideas, problems let me know!

p.s. I noticed some problems with the borders map, they just didn't match up to the land as good as I wanted, and it was too strong, already fixed and adjusted both those issues

arsheesh
06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks allot for the link Yandor, i am totally using these in my next regional map.

Yandor
06-25-2010, 11:38 PM
No problem Arsheesh.

Anyways plugging away at this, didn't realize how long it takes to do names goodness, or maybe I have a short attention span... meh who knows but its coming along, only have a few more kingdoms to mess with but here an update.

haha fields are turned off, I'll fix that next update

tilt
06-26-2010, 02:12 AM
lot of work that :)
The political borders (and name colors) are very dominating and take away attention from the map. I'd tone those down (a lot) so the map is the key element again. :)

OldGuy
06-27-2010, 02:22 PM
A love the look of the forests. Did you create it in PS or was it a texture? If they later, I would love to get a copy : )

Katto
06-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes, the forests look great. And, as alwas, the bright colors :) IMO the land background is, difficult to say, too simple?, colorless?, blurry? compared to the forests and mountains.

Juggernaut1981
06-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Yeah dude, those political borders make me feel like I'm heading to one of three places...

1. The Local Charcoal Chicken Store (in Australia those places used to get normal light globes, paint them different colours and have the lights turn on and off in patterns)

2. A house of ill-repute (allegedly the second best thing to spend loot on other than a better sword and just above ale)

3. A bad 90s rave with Glo-sticks galore...

Yandor
06-29-2010, 03:28 AM
A love the look of the forests. Did you create it in PS or was it a texture? If they later, I would love to get a copy : )

Forest Link (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10181-World-Map-WIP&p=110188&viewfull=1#post110188)

Well thanks for the comments, I decided to ditch the background label highlight stuff, I think the text might be a bit hard to read in a few places, still debating if I should adjust the layer style and brighten it up... but I toned down the borders, and in general I think I'm near done, just need to add a few rivers, and name some of the land features, and this puppy is done. That is until I decide to fix something because of the story I'm writing with it, but until then, I'm not worrying about it!

tilt
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
much better :) ... looks just about done to me too :)

Yandor
07-02-2010, 11:27 AM
So this will be the final, unless someone can point out my spelling mistakes or anything else that looks funny. Let me know and I'll post the Final in the Finished Section later tonight or tomorrow.

Gidde
07-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Looks great!

How'd you do those cities? That's really similar to something I'd like to do with a current project.

tilt
07-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Looks good :) ... crisp and clear mapping. I have a couple of questions/critiques though

- to the south you have "Serpants Ridge" - should that be Serpents Ridge?
- in the north you have Fallen March and Drasalon way to close

thats it :)

Xyll
07-02-2010, 11:46 AM
That map looks really good. You did a great job

Yandor
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
wow quick responses thanks!

Gidde I use a pattern to do them, I took Pyrandon's City Pattern, cleaned it up and shrunk it by a ton, I'll post it up for ya. I put up the .psd file and a .jpg just incase people don't have Photoshop, it should be clean enough to just delete the white on the .jpg image.

But all I do is put the pattern in on its own layer, put a layer mask, and use a splatter PENCIL, brush gave me too many issues, and of course I put a bevel, stroke, and because of Tilt (thanks) I put a grey outer glow. I think thats all I really did with it.

Tilt got those fixed thanks!

Gidde
07-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Cool, thanks a ton!

Yandor
07-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Well I finished it off, thanks Tilt and everyone else who gave me pointers and suggestions! Here is the final peice.

Cairan Final (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11003-Cairan-Regional-Map&p=118801#post118801)