View Full Version : Re: Ancient Battles Deluxe (Do-Your-Own-Scenario)

05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi all.

I just finished up this project for VPG and thought I would share the results with you.

This first image was created by the designer of "Ancient Battles Deluxe" as part of a Do Your Own scenario he wanted to make up. I really liked it and said I would try to use it as a template and punch it up a notch in Photoshop. The map was to be two 11x17 sheets, which is why you are only seeing half of the completed map.

05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
And here is my final copy of the new, improved map.

If I was doing for myself, I would not have used such large hex numbers, but thats the way they wanted it. The final size will be 22x17 or two 11x17 sheets.

05-31-2010, 09:27 PM
They also asked me to develop the hex-tiles that will come with the game. The idea is they will be punched out and you can lay them out to re-create any battle you want. I must admit these were a major pain for me to make up, as I had never done anything like it before. I"m still not really happy with the results, but the designer and publisher seem to be, and I"m tried of tweaking them!

06-01-2010, 03:12 AM
I really like the border of you improved version. Repped

06-01-2010, 05:49 AM
looks good, have some rep from me too :)
I like the idea of building your own map - but you'll have to play carefully to avoid scooting things around. They should print this on thin metal and with magnetic pieces - THAT would be cool ... and a bit heavy *lol*

06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Ooooo....but you could mount it on your wall then! I'd make the game a bit pricey tho.

On a related note, about 20 years ago I actually bought a set of little magnetic clips that you could insert 1/2 inch wargame counters into. I took those and placed a game map onto part of an old mental shelf I had. Presto! A game that will never be destroyed by the cat! Unfortunately, those little holders sometimes left marks on the counters when you where trying to slip them in and out, so I never used them much.

06-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Or i guess you could put a sheet of perspex over the board once you'd put the tiles down. Nice work, timallen! Really great to see the boardgame section becoming more active.

06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Nice job, the finished board with the border illustrations and rules looks really good.