PDA

View Full Version : June Entry - Unnamed yet

Djekspek
06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Ah a tribute! I just have to squeeze in time to work on this (and I will finish it this month :P ) ... The map is of the world that really opened my mind to fantasy. Many may consider it the soap opera of the fantasy novels, but hey, it got me addicted... I love the theme where good does not always prevail but where the balance between good and evil is a law of nature... I grabbed a copy of a map, traced it, then projected it to a globe and threw in a lot of textures, shades, shines and other stuff to try to really glorify this world! Some of the textures are the awesome paper textures from Sapiento. Next step is to get into the details ...

Oh and I didn't put in the name of the world yet, maybe someone recognizes it...

cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

Gidde
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Very cool style. "Hope is the denial of reality" .... sounds like Goodkind (which I gave up on because of the hopelessness lol).

tilt
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
That looks good - only read a single book myself a thousand years ago - so thanks goes to Gidde for telling me what it is ;)

Gidde
06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Hahaha ... except I could very well be wrong! It's been years since I read that series.

jfrazierjr
06-04-2010, 02:52 PM
According to the interwebs, it's Margaret Weis

Gidde
06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
See? Someone smart enough to use Google-fu on the problem. :) Thanks jfrazierjr for the correction. Dragonlance then? Never read those, but my cousin LOVES them.

tilt
06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
loved dragonlance as a kid, now they are a bit to "sweet" for me - So give me some Robin Hobb big feelings dark lives or Joe Abercrombies nitty gritty dark fantasy instead. But Dragonlance is a fantastic place to start, especially if you also start playing rpgs :) So i believe Djespeks glowing world is a fair representation :)

Djekspek
06-06-2010, 04:17 AM
hehe, yeps it's Dragonlance indeed, a map of the continent of Ansalon. I agree tilt, it's a bit sweet and weis & hickman are outclassed by Hobb for sure, but I just loved the Tasslehof and Fizban characters when i read those books (must be over 20 year ago though that I read them). Hmm, maybe i'll go for a re-read when i finish my current stack of to-be-read books ;) cheers!

tilt
06-06-2010, 04:45 AM
I tried to do that some years ago - but was disilusioned... so now I'm waiting till my kids are old enough to hear it instead :) - its really good beginner fantasy

Krulwich
06-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I think this is gorgeous.

Steel General
06-06-2010, 07:51 AM
...and ultimately Raistlin is still a failure ;)

Looks like another great entry Djekspek.

Djekspek
06-06-2010, 10:38 AM
thanks guys :) started with the details and some experimenting with the labels. hehe aye SG, Raistlin is, well ... good thing he had his silly brother to tag along

### Latest WIP ###

Immolate
06-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Beautiful job as always Djekspek. I enjoyed the Dragonlance Chronicles back when they were new. This was a time when I was going to GenCon every year. I remember the year they rolled out Dragonlance or the year after, I got to meet Larry Elmore and Keith Parkinson, Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. I remember being surprised that Tracy Hickman was a guy.

The only suggestion I can find for improvement is tilting the mountains slightly in some places to suggest the curvature of the globe. I see you've done that with some of more-distant mountains.

Sapiento
06-08-2010, 03:39 AM
Great entry, Djekspek. I love the colours. The only thing for me to mention - which is really a very small matter - are the black outlines of the lands; they seem a bit sharp compared to the rest.

Djekspek
06-11-2010, 09:34 AM
thanks guys, indeed Immolate the tilting of the mountains was off at many places (thanks for pointing that out). I tried to correct it and also worked on the heavy costlines as Sapiento remarked.

I'm finding out it's really tricky drawing 3d-ish whilst keeping the rounding of the planet in consideration as well. But its good practise ;) I added more stuff. Having some issue with style-consistency and also the shading is not to my liking (the shades on the right side should also drop right considering the light sources) but I would have to redo most linework to get that right so thats for another map in this style :P Also getting the label right is still rather tricky (have to find a better way, maybe use a distortion bump-map or something)

Well... not perfect but in general am happy with the overall look and feel. cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Looks absolutely beautiful from where I'm sitting!! Another DJ special work of art!

tilt
06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
fantastic map - gotta pull that out when my kids are old enough for me to read the books for them :)

Jaxilon
06-13-2010, 03:58 AM
That looks really cool even though I can see the things you will do better next time. Excellent entry.

MarkusTay
06-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Although I think your work is gorgeous, are you aware of the size of the continent of Ansalon?

Its extremely small by continental standards - that has to be a very tiny planet indeed. ;)