PDA

View Full Version : A new beginner

Galaad
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I am a beginner cartographer and new to the Guild and first, please feel free to correct my english as I am french and don't use english a lot.
Actually I already did two maps with Gimp but it took me a LOT of time and as I want to do more, I can't stand to put this lot of time into a small miserable map.

In an other hand, Galaad is my real name and I'm 23. I'm a new Dungeon Master on Fadings Suns for wich I did these two maps :
A region of Bannockburn
The world of Iver

I'm looking forward to your critics and advices.

arsheesh
06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the Guild Galaad! My suggestion would be to check out some of the tutorials here at the guild, I think they will help you refine your style.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Gidde
06-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Bienvenue! Arsheesh has the right idea, check out the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping in the Tutorials section of the forums. It has links to some of the best tutorials for beginning cartographers.

Galaad
06-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks!

I just read the whole "Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1142-Award-Winner-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map)" from RobA.

Now I need to get to work. ^^

bambua
06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Welcome :) look forward to seeing some of your work and how you progress!

Steel General
06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Redrobes
06-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Bienvenue Galaad - lots of french mappers joining up which is great. And your from Angers ? You could post up some great pics of your castle if you want to. Its nice to have a lot of reference pictures of castles and I think Angers is considered one of the best.

Galaad
06-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Oh, I'll see if I can take some and post them. But a part of the castle burned two or three years ago and is being rebuild (It's just the royal appartments if I'm not wrong).
And I agree that this castle is great, and even cut in half those walls are very nice.

Redrobes
06-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Cool that would be great ! I posted a load of google street view pics of castles over here a while back:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9589 (Post #2)
I have been to all of those except one but for some it was a long time ago so I only have photos of some of them if you wanted more than what google can provide.

NeonKnight
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the Guild!