PDA

View Full Version : Noble manor 1st floor

Galaad
06-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi,

Posting my first WIP here, and my first attempt at mapping an interior I would be very glad if some of you could tell me if something's going wrong. I'm only using the base tools and textures from Gimp.

Also I don't really know how to put furnitures like chairs and beds without having to draw them (my drawing skills are veeeeryyyyy low :) ) so I'm guessing leaving this empty but it would really look better with them.

tilt
06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Good start Galaad, now, I don't know how to do this in GIMP, but I would suggest working a little with the textures, the tiles and wooded floor are very dominating colorwise and should perhaps be dampend a little. Concerning furniture and other fittings, look in the mapping element or on the web, you'll probably be able to find some with transparent backgrounds so they can be placed in your house :)

Steel General
06-05-2010, 09:15 AM
For furnishings of all types, check the Dundjinni user forums - there are other sites as well.

Gidde
06-05-2010, 11:16 AM
You may want to try running a mosaic filter on the parquet (Filters -> Distort -> Mosaic); measure your pattern squares and use that (minus your depth) as the size, square as the shape, and turn neatness all the way up; it'd break the edges a bit and vary the colors, as well as doing a little of the dampening tilt mentioned.

Galaad
06-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the tips, the tiles and parquet do look a little better with a little less luminosity(?) and I'm trying the mosaic filter. I'll look for the furniture when I have a little more time.

Tomorrow I'll change the language of Gimp to have the same terms than in all the site and tutorials ; it'll be easier to work then. ^^

Thanks again. I'll post my advancement when there IS an advancement.

Galaad
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi everybody, as the 1st and 2nd floors are near finishing I post them with the uppest one (the attic ? loft ? I am not sure, the one with the servants's rooms and most of the storage).

The 1st floor
The 2nd one
And the uppest (as it's directly under the roof the light is dim)

Just for those who don't know the Fading Suns universe, it's a medieval/futurist one, so the mix of the furnitures is normal.

It's taking me a lot of time doing this but I am quite pleased with the overall result. :)

Feel free to comment !

tilt
06-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Good idea with the blurring effect to show elements from other floors. The toilet on the bottom floor seems a little odd, it looks like you have urinals and a toilet in the same open room, I would guess you'd want stalls. And urinals would normally only be in bars and such not in private homes. (or maybe I'm missing what things are).
I'd throw in a direct door to the office on the middle floor so you don't have to cross through another room to get to it. And the rooms up there with the couches and such looks made for entertaining visitors -which would mean that you should have a second entry to the bathroom/toilet - so you don't have to enter the bedroom to get there. Good job :)

Galaad
06-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks ! And thanks again ! I'll think about what you said, The owner of the house IS odd so I suspect the house to be a little odd too but I'll make sure it's at least liveable and with a logic.
edit: and I'll explain a little tomorrow too. ;-)

rdanhenry
06-22-2010, 01:48 AM
I'd also recommend sinks in the bathrooms.

Galaad
07-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi ! I just found enough time to finish this so I'm posting the result here and if tomorrow I am still happy with it I'll post it in the finished maps forum.
For the sinks I had a little trouble to find some.

edit : Ok, I retried to upload it and it worked.
The ground floor is mainly for parties with the big center room, little lounges, the kitchen, guardroom and toilets with urinals for the servants and drunken guests.

At the first floor there are the appartments of the ruler, made so that nobody can traverse them unseen ; the balcony above the ballroom and guests rooms.

The last floor, just under the roofs, is mainly for the servants and storage ; but at the upper left there is the room where the comtess keep things that must not be seen and the "table" where her surgeon work on her cybernetics.

I would not be surprised if there are some thing badly done or a little weird but please tell me. I'm open to questions and suggestions and can provide the .xcf files.

Crayons
07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
If you need some other types of rooms to fill out the spaces your countess might have a couple of libraries (a public one and a... er... less public one?) - does she have a secretary or henchman?. Also on the utility side of things you can always add a scullery/laundry.
Good work though! I applaud anyone who remembers the finer things in life - like decent toilets! I'd agree with tilt about some partioning around that ground floor crapper in the kitchen area...

Galaad
07-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the ideas for new rooms, the henchman has already her personal room and if I understand well, the scullery is just below the kitchen.
I am not sure to understand last sentance, do you mean to put some "dirt" in the kitchen floor, if it's that I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. ^^

I must tell that, it ends a lot much better that what I thought myself capable of (with the help you all gave me too). :-)

Crayons
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Ah OK. I get the laundry now! I thought it might be storage. I think both this room and the kitchen need a cooking/heating apparatus? I'm not sure of your "technology base" though.
The last comment was about the toilet (I think it is) just below the scullery/laundry. It looks like it has one "sit on" toilet (aka "Crapper" named after Thomas Crapper - wrongly (?) attributed with the invention of the "water closet"). I digress. The toilet seems to be in the same room as what look like wall urinals and "normal" society rules of propriety in such matters would call for a partition wall around the sit-down toilet for privacy. The Romans on the other hand wouldn't bother so rules differ between cultures.
Speaking of floors. In real world mansions there is a marked difference in quality between servants areas and the "posh bit". Historically there is a green baize door between such areas (to deaden sound) and beyond the green door cheaper materials are used. Your kitchen seems to have "parquet" flooring which would be too opulent for such normally. Also impractical. I would suggest stone flags or tiles in appropriate areas and cheap plank floors with cheap rugs for other areas. These variations of floor type indicate the utility and quality of the room and also serve to break up the map textures more. As for dirt, well, yes, but cleanliness and the lack of is likely to get servants sacked, so I wouldn't expect to see much dirt in a well run household...

Galaad
07-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Ok ! I get it ! For M. Crapper I didn't know him and never heard of him but hey, do you know Monsieur Poubelle ? ;-) I'm french and lack much vocabulary. So ! For the toilets, I put a wall around the sit-down toilet but it's not clearly visible without zooming, maybe I'll change this. For the floors I tried to do that for the uppest level wich is mostly for the servants but I didn't know that in the same floor quality could be so differant. I'll look at it.

Oh, and now that you mention it, I did forget to put something to cook in the kitchen.

Thanks a lot for all those explanations. :-)

Crayons
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Now you point it out, I can see the partition now, sorry.Yes, it probably could be a bit clearer.
Poubelle? I remember the "word" from my French lessons but I just looked it up and up popped Eugene! Well well well !
As for your English vocabulary, it's very good. For assistance, may I just say that for "uppest" I'd normally use the word "top". You also questioned the use of "attic" or "loft" - both of which I would use interchangeably in such an example although I think there is a technical difference depending on whether the area is coverted into rooms or not.

Galaad
07-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for those explanations, I try to use my english often to keep my level. For the toilets I'll make the partition bigger, and I'll fill the empty room in the loft.