PDA

View Full Version : A guild key ring anyone ?

Redrobes
06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I have proposed to make a guild keyring to generate a bit of cash for the guild. So was wondering whether people thought this was a good idea. This thread will collect up some posts on the mini mount thread and move them to here...

@tilt: There is something... we looked at doing a guild keyring and I thought it would be cool to make it into one of those hot wax seal pressing things where you can scroll up your map and then put a guild seal on it. So I came up with the image below except that people didn't think the G was gonna be dynamic or punchy enough and CLs thought that a compass rose would be better. The guild logo compass is a bit too fiddly but you did some neat artwork recently with a selection of them. Do you think one of them would look good on a keyring as seal print thing. I didn't have any red wax so I... er... tried it on some cheese out of the microwave... :oops: Anyway - the idea works :) But this is obviously a commercial thing going on here to skim some money off the profit line for the guild w.r.t CC licensed and copyright etc.

tilt
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I would be honored to supply a compass for that noble project :) ... and cheese.. .Had me laughing there... and ewww.. looks bad, but don't like cheese in any shape or color.
What size and dpi should it be? and how thin lines will work?

Redrobes
06-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Well, something bold rather than fiddly works better. The thinness of the lines is an issue. I can go very thin if the cutter is cutting either side of the line but it gouging out the line then its actually quite thick - about 1.5mm which sounds thin but actually isn't. We want the compass rose to be raised up so were cutting away around it. So this means we can do sharp point to the compass points but not pointy recesses near the center. The whole thing is only about 35mm across so there's not much room for being too creative. The G there is about 28mm across. So if you think you can come up with something that can fit with a 1.5mm cutter chewing it away then great or we can modify one of the ones you have posted recently. As for size / dpi - doesn't really matter as ill transcribe it into the cutter format manually. I may make a new thread for these posts.

Gidde
06-03-2010, 02:01 PM
That is a fantastic idea.

Redrobes
06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
This one is based on tilt's design. Is this one any better ?

Steel General
06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I like it, but it looks like the 'G' is backward?

Redrobes
06-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, when you turn it over and look at it from the shiny side then the C is backwards and G is right way around. When pressed into wax then the C would be the one backwards. Maybe we should drop letters all together !??

Steel General
06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Unless it can be 're-engineered' to show the letters the same way and still look good.

Redrobes
06-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I can only cut one side but I'm open to ideas ? If you have any then we can ping pong some emails and try it out.

Edit - pic of both sides. Normally they aren't quite so white but the flash has highlighted them a bit.

tilt
06-06-2010, 02:58 AM
I can do a G the right way too - just liked the shape of the letters this way - had a certain flow to it :)

tilt
06-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Just mailed Steve another version with letters facing the right way :)

Diamond
06-06-2010, 03:30 AM
I trust in the artistic imaginations of you fine gentlemen, and I will most assuredly buy one (or several) when they come on-line.

tilt
06-06-2010, 03:37 AM
truly humbled by your kinds words sir :)

Diamond
06-06-2010, 03:39 AM
Question: Will the end product work on non-green cheese? :D

(What IS that? It looks freaking nasty.)

Redrobes
06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Yes, this is classic supermarket fat/wax style goo. There's only a few really good things about Britain but cheese is one of them. I think its because our weather is so bad - but that bad weather is good for grass and the cows that eat it. Were all like Wallace and Gromit with our cheese. This supermarket goo is nothing like real cheese tho. I'll get a red candle or a wax crayon at some point...honest !

Diamond, what shape/style/pattern would you have on a keyring ? We should have had this as a mini challenge... I'm thinking of setting up for one more and then people have the choice of any of the three. There's quite a stringent limit on how fiddly it can be tho.

Diamond
06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm totally cool with whatever you guys decide on, but I did rather like the 'CG' design, but if the G could be turned right-side it would look better... In my opinion, anyway.

tilt
06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I think the "problem" with the inverted G, is actually comming from the font - when I made the first sketch I used another font where it was clear that the letter was a G - when I got the right font installed, I adjusted the layout to fit in the cutting tools but stayed with the original idea (as I said - I liked the flow), but I do realise that with this font the G can be mistaken for an "e". Thats why I mailed Redrobes a new one with all letters pointing in the right direction ;)

tilt
06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
hey there Redrobes... is the key ring still alive? ;)

Redrobes
06-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes it is / will be. I tell you we've been having great weather this summer and I have been going out and not working all that much and its been great so I have been tardy with all the jobs I am supposed to be doing and there are some "day jobs" I absolutely have to do and ones like this are kinda slipping. When it rains ill be right back in there again ;) But being slightly more businesslike... I did get a red candle to try them out with and I did get loads more plastic to make them and the mini risers with so there's nothing stopping me except my motivation.

At mo I have 2 designs all programmed up and ready to go at will - do you think a non character based compass rose is required and people can pick between which of them they want or have an option where a character wont be backwards. I have to cut them to order anyway so its no biggie to do different ones as all the same.

Juggernaut1981
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Depending on what we can do... would it be possible to have:

CG in the heart of a compass rose...
or
Same compass rose fully detailed...

I think I'd be inclined to get a CG in a CompassRose type design.

tilt
06-23-2010, 01:38 AM
take your time, enjoy the sun... go ... map IRL ;)
I think that the letters should be there or it could be any old compass ... and I did mail you a version with the letters facing the right way some time ago :)

Redrobes
06-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I got your copy of both letters right way around but if you flip the plastic over then both are wrong way around. So I think we should have one with no letters on for anyone who wants it.

Jug or anyone else: If you want to sketch out a design then ill try to make it. To the edge the circle is 38mm across within that you can put a pattern where you cut away the plastic but the cutter is about 1.5mm diameter. You can drag the cutter either side of a line and make a line of <1.5mm like 0.75mm or whatever but you cant cut a groove of <1.5mm so the cut away bits are quite low res but the uncut bits can be a bit higher res. Think of it as drawing the shape with a 1.5mm thick nib on a pen to scale on a 38mm circle and see what you can come up with.

I'll make one more design and then there is a choice out of the three.

tilt
06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I'll try to flick a mirror monogram together tomorrow - then the mirror effect is built in ;)