PDA

View Full Version : The Dal Lands

LonewandererD
06-06-2010, 03:14 AM
I started with a city, then I did a state, now I'm doing the kingdom. I like slowing work up, its a nice change from starting big and trying to go down. As a break from the norm of my work I'm going for a more medieval hand drawn look as inspired by the maps of Gidde, Ramah and Bohunk, finally time to put those mountains brushes to good use. On that note I know Gidde wrote a tut on this subject but does anyone know of any other tuts on this type of mapping or any kind of advice, any would be appreciate as I have no real idea as how to do this.

Back at the ranch, he is the rough plan on the shape of the Dal Land landmasses, more planning and draft work to come soon.

NOTE: Do not zoom in on the map, it is very big and there wouldn't be anything worth seeing.

-D-

tilt
06-06-2010, 03:45 AM
huge project as usual - looking forward to seing it progress :)

LonewandererD
06-06-2010, 03:56 AM
If it's worth doing, its worth overdoing :) , Mythbusters FTW. I must be a masochist, all of my projects end up big and I end up beating my head on the table.

-D-

Gidde
06-06-2010, 04:07 AM
I call myself a masochist at least a hundred times per project. I guess (hope?) that means we're pushing our envelopes :)

Diamond
06-06-2010, 04:46 AM
NOTE: Do not zoom in on the map, it is very big and there wouldn't be anything worth seeing.
I zoomed in! The green! ALL THE GREEN!!!!! :D

This is going to be insanely cool if you plan on using the same style as the Elders map. Looking forward to mappy goodness.

LonewandererD
06-06-2010, 04:51 AM
Disclaimer - LonewandererD does not take responsibility for loss of eyesight as a result of zooming in.

I'm actually trying something new than the Elder map style, hand drawn mountains and stuff. Mostly because it will be faster and easier to do and also because I want to experiment with something new, it will still be as green and, hopefully, as vibrant as my other maps.

-D-

Juggernaut1981
06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Nice start but.... OH THE GREEEEEEN!!!!

LonewandererD
06-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Why are people zooming in? Look not upon the green except from afar.

Anyway, a small update, I've roughed up the coastline and put down the plan for where I want the mountains to go, still very rough at this point, will start placing rivers and trying to get a parchment texture next, or should that wait until later?

-D-

Juggernaut1981
06-07-2010, 05:00 AM
There was no zooming in... there was only opening it in a new window... and my eyes are still seeing everything in green tints..

LonewandererD
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
A small update and my last planning.

The light tan represent hill lands and the river layout is still a bit rough.

-D-

LonewandererD
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
UPDATE!

The green is gone, at least for now >:) , in the meantime I've put in all of the mountains. Now I'm looking into improving my rather simple parchment texture and reducing the overall memory size of the piece, it went from being very small at high settings to large at medium settings, ouch. The mountain brushes are not of my creation are the brushes that vhailor27 made from Ramah's map, all credit goes to those two artists.

-D-

tilt
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
looking good.. and those mountains of Ramah are damn beautiful, no wonder so many use them :) ... and no river violations either - eventhough I had to look closely at one place to follow the flows, but everything is ok - and thank you for removing the greeeeeeen *LOL*

Juggernaut1981
06-08-2010, 11:44 PM
That's a good looking start dude. I didn't spot any River Violations and the lack of green is nicer on the eyes... at least until the giant blocks of colour are broken up more by adding in the details.

LonewandererD
06-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Do not worry, the green will be back, MWUHAHAHAHAHA >:)

In the meantime, update!. I've put in the hills and reduce the map by a quarter of it's size to reduce the overall memory size of the map, really did the trick. Next I'll be redoing the rivers and putting in the forests. More to come soon.

-D-

tilt
06-09-2010, 03:27 AM
still looking good - thats a lot of hills you've got there... got'a rest that hand soon *lol*

LonewandererD
06-13-2010, 07:29 AM
No update, just a note. This map is being put on hold, the style is still new to me and will take some time before I've gotten the hang of it and experimented with it. Until then I'm moving towards some other maps using my more succesful style, I like what did with the Dominion of Sorres and hope to replicate that kind of look again.

-D-

LonewandererD
06-19-2010, 04:16 AM
BEWARE, the green is back, well sort of. Taken off hold for the moment.

Heres the last of land-based planning, the dark green are pine forests, the light green is deciduous forests, the yellow green is grassland and the light blue is marshland. Still not sure about the forests up near the territories of the Daesurru and Sunnuku. On that note I've drawn in the rough borders of the clans, the areas with a black dots represent areas not controlled by the Dal. Note a typo, Dae-sunnu on the map is supposed to be Daesurru

The other two pics are the symbols for each of the dominions. The first one is the hand-drawn version, the symbols that will appear along with this map, the second one are the symbols that will appear along with the maps of the individual dominions that I'll do later down the track.

More to come soon.

-D-

tilt
06-19-2010, 09:36 AM
very nice symbols :) ... and the map is still looking good ... it was a short pause you took ;)

LonewandererD
06-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes it was a short pause. The main reason I paused is becuase I couldn't figure out to get the automatic forester to work the way I wanted, well that just changed so the Dal lands should have a sudden tree explosion very soon.

-D-

LonewandererD
06-19-2010, 11:24 AM
TREE OVERLOAD!

I've put down all the trees and now I'm going back to cleanup and, unfortunately, redo the hills which i can butchered by accident.

-D-

tilt
06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm getting tired on your behalf... thats a lot of trees... they look a little uniform/patterned in some places, but that will probably be better after your clean up :)

Katto
06-19-2010, 04:00 PM
The symbols look very good. I'm anxious to see how they will fit in the map.

Juggernaut1981
06-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Um... EEEEEP
Thar be TREEZ!

Other than the very "grid-like" arrangement... *blinks* there are probably as many trees on this map as there is in my Neoseilthir map... I feel your tree pain. Just remember to feel mine with the "every tree put in by hand" aspect! :D :S

LonewandererD
06-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Okay, looking a little better now. I went back and redid the forests and hills using different settings this time around, a much better coverage than before. Now I need to go back and delete trees and hills that overlap with each other and then I'll get down to experimenting with colour. But before then I have to find a good way to show marshlands and to break up those large areas of black space.

@Juggernaut - all trees by hand? Ouch, I feel your pain, you, sir, have some major patience and commintment, bravo.

-D-

Steel General
06-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Trees look better in this last version, though I don't think the stark, black labels really go well with the color scheme.

LonewandererD
06-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Don't worry, this is not the colour scheme I'm going with, those black labels are just placeholders for later.

-D-

tilt
06-20-2010, 09:44 AM
looking much better now... in the olden days, I did swamp with a few vertical "straws" sticking up of some horizontal lines (hand drawn), sometimes with some small circles/blotches here and there...

LonewandererD
06-21-2010, 01:32 AM
UPDATE!

Clean up the forests and hills as best i could, put down the marshes, redid the rivers and borders, marked down the locations of all cities and towns and coloured the map. Next, labelling all the settlements, already named the capital cities and the settlements in the Dominion of Sorres.

-D-

Diamond
06-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Looking good, man. I noticed you've got some kind of weird layer issue with part of the forest at the very top/central edge of the map.

LonewandererD
06-21-2010, 02:19 AM
If you're reffering to the areas that have been blacked out they're supposed to be like that, they are areas that are not controlled by the Dal.

-D-

LonewandererD
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I know I sound like a broken record but I'm starting this map over again. I went way too big with this as a result I completely abandoned the back story for the Dal Lands, and without the story I have no world. I need to make a lot smaller for starters, I'm aiming for a place where cities aren't really cities but rather just large towns and a place where villages and castles in the wilderness can actually account for alot more than they do now and where the wilderness actually feels uninhabited.

I'm also going back to the style I made in the Dominion of Sorres, I should have stuck with that instead of jumping into a new style. Sorry for the waste of time and thanks to all you contributed to the map up to this point :) .

-D-

tilt
06-21-2010, 11:10 AM
really good - nice marches too .. and good to get some color on this :)

LonewandererD
06-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Okay, the map has had a complete overhaul. The land is now completely different and is much smaller compared to the other map. Instead of the 50 or so cities I had before I have 9 cities MAXIMUM and that means the number of clans is therefore reduced to nine form thirteen.

I've doen the land base, water, colour variation, mountains and elevations and rivers. Next up is going to be detailing areas of marshlands and plains and then forests.

-D-

tilt
06-27-2010, 02:38 PM
good start and starting over will make sure you keep your insanity ;)
... nice mountains. Your rivers all stop before hitting lakes and sea but I guess that'll be fixed later on :)

LonewandererD
06-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Still got some fiddling to do but I've painted in the forests, marshes and grasslands. The purple dots represent where the 8 main cities will go. I'm going to sgrink the map down a bit to reduce it's size so I can have a higher res pic. Right now its 10 pixels = 1 mile, I'm going to shrink it to 8 pixels = 1 mile, a decrease of 20%.

EDIT: Forgot to attach the actual map with the post :oops:

-D-