PDA

View Full Version : Village of Northfield

nichollsr
06-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi All,

First village map i've produced in a while using a CC3 style from one of the annuals. As always comments and feedback greatfully received.

Regards....

Steel General
06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
This is quite nice... would like to see a colored version as well.

tilt
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Thats a nice little village, and I agree with SG, I would like to see a colored version as well :)

nichollsr
06-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks for the comments so far. The style i actually used is a B&W style which i'd never used before. I can easily recreate it using a colour style though. It's funny i'd never tried B&W before but i do see what you mean about perhaps using colour.

Regards...

tilt
06-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Black and white maps can be quite ok (especially if you only have a b/w printer anyway), but when I look at your map, its very light, and I think that is what makes me miss the color - if you used heavier shading/crosshatching/whatever to darken the map, then I probably wouldn't have thought about missing colors :)

Gidde
06-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I find myself in agreement with Tilt on this one. Up the contrast a little and maybe put in some pen-marks (woodcut, crosshatched, stippled, etc.) and it'll look beautiful in B&W. As is, it looks darn good!

nichollsr
06-07-2010, 01:10 AM
I find myself in agreement with Tilt on this one. Up the contrast a little and maybe put in some pen-marks (woodcut, crosshatched, stippled, etc.) and it'll look beautiful in B&W. As is, it looks darn good!

Hi Again,

Do you have any examples of what your suggesting ? I'd like to take a look and then give it a go !

Thanks again...

tilt
06-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Here is a quick test, just with some shading with a soft brush ... haven't payed attention to hitting the edges perfectly - just a quick makeover :)

Gidde
06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Here's another technique that might help as well. It's using the "curves" function in gimp to enhance the dark and light without losing your middle ground.

Midgardsormr
06-07-2010, 06:49 PM
For screen display, I think I'd just make the background a light grey instead of white. The white is perfect for print, though.

Do you have the latest patch for CC3? My understanding is that they've finally managed to implement anti-aliasing, which will soften those "jaggies" on angled lines. I don't know if it's a sheet effect you have to activate or if it does it automatically. You'll have to ask a regular CC3 user for details, as I haven't even opened CC3 in more than a year.

nichollsr
06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Gidde for playing around with the map in Gimp i do see what you mean and it does look 'stronger' now - I will play around with that effect !

nichollsr
06-09-2010, 04:57 PM
For screen display, I think I'd just make the background a light grey instead of white. The white is perfect for print, though.

Do you have the latest patch for CC3? My understanding is that they've finally managed to implement anti-aliasing, which will soften those "jaggies" on angled lines. I don't know if it's a sheet effect you have to activate or if it does it automatically. You'll have to ask a regular CC3 user for details, as I haven't even opened CC3 in more than a year.

I do indeed have the latest CC3 patch. I will try and find out if there is something i need to play with in the settings and let you know !