PDA

View Full Version : Assault on Trenth. City and surroundings

Dain
06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi guys,
I've started to map a city for a HARP adventure of a friend of mine.
First time I do such a thing digitally and with colour, so it's very time consuming. Still trying to figure out how to do things.

I've got a basic idea of what I want, but nothing written on stone. If you find something definitely wrong or that can be improved, please comment ;)
You'll find a basic B/W sketch of where I'm heading and the beginning in colour.

There's one tricky question I'm thinking all the time. How do you choose the scale of the map? Do you follow a guide when starting a map?
When I started, I used specific settings to match a A4 good print (300ppi, 3508x2480 resol). The thing is that everything is quite small and wonder what will that be once printed.
I know that sometimes, the scale doesn't apply on buildings, but on lands, just because it make the buildings pop up and easier to see/ identify.
Do you guys calculate something prior to draw anything?

Cheers

tilt
06-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Hi Dain, looks like a good beginning you got there... and lot of work left too. :) The land seems to be hoovering over the river so I would remove the drop shadow. Concerning scale, its always a question of the region size - take a real life example and use that for comparison. If an A4 printer is what your have access to, then there is no need to go bigger than you did (unless you wanna print on several pieces of paper). When I choose the scale for my Mountain Realms (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10461-Mountain-Realms-a-region-map.) I was thinking about how long it should take to travel from one side of the map to the other - and then calculated backwards with 50 miles/day on horseback as a scale. In the city Breakwater (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9606) I'm working on now I began with one scale - then after having placed a lot of buildings - I scaled down, and now I'm thinking about scaling down some more... I'm concidering how big my houses are and recalculating after that.
So scale is always tricky, and you are allowed to cheat - and if a player calls you on it - SMITE HIM! *lol*

Dain
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi guys,
Here is an update of the map. I changed many things in terms of layer styles settings and hope it's for the best :P
I chose a big scale but I'm not really sure how to fill the north and west of the map. Don't want to add too much forests and open ground would be boring. Any ideas?

Comments are welcome, as usual ;)

ravells
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
That's looking really good. The hedges might be a bit big, but perhaps they've been drawn big because they are important in some way? I have to say though, that I think your original hand drawn map rocks, it's got a vibrancy and character to it which is very hard to reproduce with digital maps.

tilt
08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
very nice.. .I'm with ravs on the hedges/thin treelines - they are rather thick if you compare them to a house. Out here where I live in the almost country there usually is a single line of trees between fields (if any) - and they often stand far enough from each other that farm equipment can pass without problems. Sometime you can have a road there instead :)

mearrin69
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow. I'm really digging your fields. The houses are a little colorful, but I don't think it detracts too much - might knock them back to see how it looks. Agree with Ravells: I love your hand-drawn map. Fancy digital maps are pretty and all but a little RPG map scrawled grid paper...or a napkin...always takes me back.

Not opposed to the huge hedgerows either. Check out the hedgrow insanity that took place during WWII. I reckon those hedges were pretty thick...believe even the tanks had trouble getting through them (though that may have been ditches too). This is going to look pretty sweet when done.
M

Ascension
08-19-2010, 04:11 PM
You always come up with something cool and new so I'm sure this one will kick as much as the others.

Jaxilon
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey this is great. Those fields look so sweet. I'll have to remember to check this again whenever I get around to creating some myself. I like what you are doing. Sorry, nothing to add other than that for now.

tovette
08-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Dude, your countryside looks awesome. I love the hedgerows!

Crayons
08-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Excellent! Those fields are just corking! You've captured the bizarre randomness of field layout very well. Don't be lead astray by hedgerow widths too much! You have some single row hedges in the mix! Hedges often provide windbreaks and if your prevailing winds are high, well, thicker widths would be about right.
For some of the best in olde worlde hedgerows I would scan around Cornwall, UK in googlemaps satellite but it would seem you've already done something like already.
One issue I have in the fields is the blurry effect I get in patches, it kinda makes my eyes go wonky.:((

I'm not the guy to comment on drawing style but I do wax lyrical on logical issues occasionally! My pennies worth would be:

The bare patches - you wondered what to do here? If the land there is raised (nice scarp slope and so forth) you can make it moorland, loose scrub used for sheep and so forth. Try looking north of "Simonsbath, Exmoor" on googlemaps for that line between moorlands and agricultural...
If it's low-lying, which it appears to be, aaaaand that river is pretty wide, I'd make it marshes. Undrained flatlands. Like Norfolk used to be. That doesn't make it unusable though, it would be harvested for reeds, people would live in stilted buildings, have punts, hunt gamebirds and so on and so on. It's a lovely environment. Either of the above could yeild a good economy in peat diggings which can take a LOT of land. It's thought that the "Norfolk Broads" water system was all dug by hand for peat long ago...
This would be supported by the width of the river, and its "weak" erosion as evidenced by the sort of mini-peninsulas protruding into it.
The river needs some thought. Since the town walls are relying on the river as part of the defensive "line" then it must be deep enough for river traffic. It's certainly wide enough for barges and so forth. That would likely mean docks etc, if there is good trade, and the wealth to afford (and need) the walls in the first place!
Issues: the bridges. I don't see why these are outside the walls. As a defensive measure they make it easy for an enemy to cross over and surround the town. I would have put one bridge in, inside the walls, as it were. It puts the river crossing under town control, both for defence AND possible tolls! Money, money money! The road to the SE bridge looks a tad long and wandering?? Where are the interconnecting roads to "other places, yonder"? Are they rural meandering roads using contour lines or straight military (like roman) roads?
The buildings: I'm all in favour of different colours. Roofs can be tile, reeds, shingles, wood, even grass... what doesn't quite mix well for me is that you have those lovely random field patterns but the town streets are rather linear and gridlike.

There you are you see? I talk to much. I hope you take these as constructive comments!
Good luck and have some rep!

Steel General
08-19-2010, 06:51 PM
This is shaping up quite nicely.

landorl
08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I really love the way that you did the fields surrounded by hedgerows. It looks like Normandy in WWII.

Dain
08-23-2010, 08:10 PM
First of all, thanks for these replies, it's always a pleasure to get comments from our own work
Thanks for that!

very nice.. .I'm with ravs on the hedges/thin treelines - they are rather thick if you compare them to a house. Out here where I live in the almost country there usually is a single line of trees between fields (if any) - and they often stand far enough from each other that farm equipment can pass without problems. Sometime you can have a road there instead
Well, I must admit the hedges are indeed quite thick. I used to live in a region with a lot of fields (Oise department in France) and I agree that the gap between two fields is usually filled with a road or a single line of trees ... in the 20th century anyway. I assumed that in medieval times (Officially from 5th to 15th century) fields are less organised but are rather a patchwork of barely shaped fields. No machines, no high-technology tools, just wooden tools and bare hands. The reason modern fields are so square and borders so thin is all about maximize lands and efficiency. It wasn't the case in middle age I reckon. Well, I think, I wasn't there obviously :P

Wow. I'm really digging your fields. The houses are a little colorful, but I don't think it detracts too much - might knock them back to see how it looks. Agree with Ravells: I love your hand-drawn map. Fancy digital maps are pretty and all but a little RPG map scrawled grid paper...or a napkin...always takes me back.
Not opposed to the huge hedgerows either. Check out the hedgrow insanity that took place during WWII. I reckon those hedges were pretty thick...believe even the tanks had trouble getting through them (though that may have been ditches too). This is going to look pretty sweet when done.
M
I chose colorful houses mainly after the damn nice masterpiece of mearrin69 (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7520-Haibianr-an-Asian-themed-coastal-city&highlight=haibian) It is a so beautiful map that I wanted to try to steal some ideas and hopefully improve the level of mine. The hand drawn map was made in approx. 5 min just to shape out the main things I wanted to do :P

Excellent! Those fields are just corking! You've captured the bizarre randomness of field layout very well. Don't be lead astray by hedgerow widths too much! You have some single row hedges in the mix! Hedges often provide windbreaks and if your prevailing winds are high, well, thicker widths would be about right.
For some of the best in olde worlde hedgerows I would scan around Cornwall, UK in googlemaps satellite but it would seem you've already done something like already.
One issue I have in the fields is the blurry effect I get in patches, it kinda makes my eyes go wonky.
I'm not the guy to comment on drawing style but I do wax lyrical on logical issues occasionally! My pennies worth would be:
The bare patches - you wondered what to do here? If the land there is raised (nice scarp slope and so forth) you can make it moorland, loose scrub used for sheep and so forth. Try looking north of "Simonsbath, Exmoor" on googlemaps for that line between moorlands and agricultural...
The river needs some thought. Since the town walls are relying on the river as part of the defensive "line" then it must be deep enough for river traffic. It's certainly wide enough for barges and so forth. That would likely mean docks etc, if there is good trade, and the wealth to afford (and need) the walls in the first place!
Issues: the bridges. I don't see why these are outside the walls. As a defensive measure they make it easy for an enemy to cross over and surround the town. I would have put one bridge in, inside the walls, as it were. It puts the river crossing under town control, both for defence AND possible tolls! Money, money money! The road to the SE bridge looks a tad long and wandering?? Where are the interconnecting roads to "other places, yonder"? Are they rural meandering roads using contour lines or straight military (like roman) roads?
The buildings: I'm all in favour of different colours. Roofs can be tile, reeds, shingles, wood, even grass... what doesn't quite mix well for me is that you have those lovely random field patterns but the town streets are rather linear and gridlike.

There you are you see? I talk to much. I hope you take these as constructive comments!
Good luck and have some rep!
Jeeze, that's quite a comment! Thanks for the time spent to write this
Ok, I'll give you mine now ;)
You actually remind me very well that the main purpose od hedges is about protection from wind, avoiding to ruin the whole field of weat or sunflower, quite fragile. Good point, which actually helps me getting the map right :D
I did actually googled picture fields to get a better idea of the randomness of colours. It seems It ws a good idea and that I did not too bad ;)

The blurry effect was in fact a try of managing the possible variation of height of the trees. Now that I look at them ... I don't know whether I need to put my glasses on or not :/ .All right, I removed the blur, next version will be a litle bit more sharp
Thanks to your advice, I worked on the countryside. Tell me how you find it ;)

The north side of the city is actually a harbour where ships can dock. There will be abandoned ferries along the river, according to the recommendations of the commissioner. The width of the river is supposed to be about 300m. Arrows from the shores would have few chances to reach a boat in motion shipping from/to the city. That was also a requirement from the commisioner.

the bridges ... you pinponted a big one, they are far too long. A 300m long bridge in middle age (It's actually for Middle earth)? No way. I reshaped to coast so now, there is a meaning why they are there and not closer to the city. Because of the narrower location, making easier to build something there. Along with the adventure, the bridges are taken by orcs but ships can still move around. PCs have to get across the land, the river to get finally in the city. BTW, I put houses arund the bridges for tolls ;)

About the roads ... well interesting. Main roads (stone road/ roman roads) that add more explaination about toll bridges and still other rough roads. I'll try to make something about that, with texture if not just different sizes ;)
Thanks again. It really helped to get a better full picture of the map.

And here is another step of the map. rough lines of the inside of the Fortress is added, as well as the country side
Roads are too big and need to be redone. I'll also add more houses here and there.

Keep up the comment guys, it energize me! ;)

mearrin69
08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I chose colorful houses mainly after the damn nice masterpiece of mearrin69 (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7520-Haibianr-an-Asian-themed-coastal-city&highlight=haibian) It is a so beautiful map that I wanted to try to steal some ideas and hopefully improve the level of mine. The hand drawn map was made in approx. 5 min just to shape out the main things I wanted to do :P

Ha! Flattery will get you everywhere. :) You've got such nice-looking, realistic terrain going here that I was thinking they'd look a little better muted. Did you tone them down some in the latest? It doesn't jump out at me so much. The couple of brighter red ones can certainly be justified as "special" buildings (temple or houses of ill repute or something) that happen to be a bit more garish.

BTW, didn't mention this in my first comments but the land seems to float a little above the water. Not sure how to "tamp it down" but I think it'd improve the look...unless that's specifically what you were going for.

I suspect that, when this one is done, you'll have a few followers of your own. Nice stuff so far!

Dain
08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, sometimes flattery and evidence are brothers as your map is brilliant. It was an easy comment of mine.

The river does indeed seem be under the land. It is something I try to fix from the earliest stage but yet to solve. I first thought to give some transparency to be able to see the bottom, the underwater relief but also have some shiny effect, simulations ripples and small waves. Another issue is that some areas are supposed to be cliffs and some other just smooth shores, kind of tiny beaches. A global solution with style isn't going to make it.
I'll see what I can do, you'll tell me then ;) (I hope)

There is something else I want to work on. The houses, and not only the color, which is just now a base to get a better feedback of the render. The problem I've got with them is their shape. I use square, round and rectangle brushes but the villages/ packs of houses look like ... a campervan park. Too straight, too ... just too much. I believe you hand drawn all your buildings and used a quick mask to fill quickly the houses with color without paying too much attention. But I believe you decided to keep the hand drawn lining for the shape of the houses. It gives something important to the atmosphere of the map, I reckon. On mine, I used the "stroke" layer style but it doesn't work very well. The blending of the drop shadow and stroke doesn't mix very well. I'll try the hand drawn lining and put it above the color layer. It should be much better, what do you reckon?

mearrin69
08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, if you look at my WIP thread you'll see that I did, in fact, try to draw the buildings in PS at first but it just didn't work out. I think you're right that drawing by hand and scanning gave it a little something. They weren't perfect (far from it) but it gave it a little style...they weren't *trying* to be perfect so it turned out okay. I just wasn't having any luck doing it by hand. I think your map calls for a little "perfect" though, since your terrain is so realistic. Do you have access to a vector art program? If so you might try laying out the buildings in that as nice shapes and then bringing them into PS as a new layer. That yielded nice results in my Argria city map...and also my Docks of Haibianr map. I just took a snip of a sketch and then drew the building shapes in Illustrator. Also, if you can do a bevel layer over white and then rasterize and hand-modify it I have found that gives a little more variety (and realism)...place it over the building color/texture on Multiply. A "grunge" layer (use some parchment or something) clipped to the house shapes also seems to go a long way toward creating variety.
M

Dain
08-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Well, if you look at my WIP thread you'll see that I did, in fact, try to draw the buildings in PS at first but it just didn't work out. I think you're right that drawing by hand and scanning gave it a little something. They weren't perfect (far from it) but it gave it a little style...they weren't *trying* to be perfect so it turned out okay. I just wasn't having any luck doing it by hand. I think your map calls for a little "perfect" though, since your terrain is so realistic. Do you have access to a vector art program? If so you might try laying out the buildings in that as nice shapes and then bringing them into PS as a new layer. That yielded nice results in my Argria city map...and also my Docks of Haibianr map. I just took a snip of a sketch and then drew the building shapes in Illustrator. Also, if you can do a bevel layer over white and then rasterize and hand-modify it I have found that gives a little more variety (and realism)...place it over the building color/texture on Multiply. A "grunge" layer (use some parchment or something) clipped to the house shapes also seems to go a long way toward creating variety.
M
I've also done many drawing by hand (My DevianArt page (http://fred73fr.deviantart.com/gallery/) and really like the kind of softness it has, as well as the joy doing it. And I agree, it's hard to make it perfect, if possible, but it gives it something that can't be reproduced with digitalized maps.
I understand as well that because of the lands are as much realistic as I can, the houses have to match some way the same pattern. I'll give it a try with a clipping layer of a papyrus or aged paper. That's actually a very good idea! thanks for that ;)

About vector progs, I've only got Inkscape and could probably do something. The only issue is that I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Did youmean to roughly draw the houses in PS and load that in Illustrator? Then reshape the houses?

mearrin69
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Something like that. For Docks of Haibianr I zoomed into my PS file and then cropped it to the area I wanted. Then I opened up Illustrator and placed the image and then drew shapes that matched, roughly, the shapes in the original image...land in a layer, buildings in a layer, forests in a layer, etc. Then I just traced over the various areas (I used boxes for the building shapes, sometimes two and then merged them for more complex shapes. Once done I just saved the individual layers and then pasted them into a new file in PS and used those as a starting point for creating my various map layers.

For Argria, I started with a very rough sketch (mainly of roads) and did the same thing...except I just built and placed the buildings freeform as I went, following the roads. Here's the map I'm talking about if you haven't seen it:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8176-Region-1-Map-27-Town-01-Argria/page9
It's quite different from Haibianr, more like my more-realistic recent maps. Here's the latest full map of that one (abandoned for a bit while I catch up on other things):
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23640&d=1270960021

Now that I look at it again I can see that it's quite bare :) but the house construction technique was pretty effective, I think.
M

Crayons
08-25-2010, 04:07 AM
There is something else I want to work on. The houses, and not only the color, which is just now a base to get a better feedback of the render. The problem I've got with them is their shape. I use square, round and rectangle brushes but the villages/ packs of houses look like ... a campervan park. Too straight, too ... just too much.
Are you talking the shape of individual houses or the shape of the group - e.g. grid stucture?

I can't help you on grids but I have a routine to generate random shaped houses. It's obviously pick'n'mix but if you can cut, scale, paste and rotate a transparent png artefact then would this sort of thing could be handy? Drop shadow would be your problem and (at the moment) the buildings have chimneys and roof slopes that are shaded according to the POVray scene used to generate them.
I can easily randomly rotate them so but then you have to choose the ones you want at the angles available...
Also available in different roof colour/textures and building sizes. They're a part of my 3D Town Generator thingy I'm working on. I can generate more if you like?

Crayons
08-25-2010, 04:13 AM
OH, and I meant to say that the hedgerows are much much better! As for the other logic - well if there's a Commissioner involved, that would explain a lot!:D

Jaxilon
08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Nice bunch of houses there Crayons

Dain
09-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Are you talking the shape of individual houses or the shape of the group - e.g. grid stucture?
I can't help you on grids but I have a routine to generate random shaped houses. It's obviously pick'n'mix but if you can cut, scale, paste and rotate a transparent png artefact then would this sort of thing could be handy? Drop shadow would be your problem and (at the moment) the buildings have chimneys and roof slopes that are shaded according to the POVray scene used to generate them.
I can easily randomly rotate them so but then you have to choose the ones you want at the angles available...
Also available in different roof colour/textures and building sizes. They're a part of my 3D Town Generator thingy I'm working on. I can generate more if you like?
Well, I missed your reply ... that could have saved me a lot of time actually.
Your houses are gorgeous, I'll be happy to give it a try. How do we proceed?

any way, here is another update.
I worked on the river and believe it's better, probably to the best, but just better.
I still need to work on the city, add fontains, big market, piers, ships etc. I initially wanted to use only one colour for roofs inside the city, meaning the more consistent architecture and theme. But because some roofs get green with oxidation, I think I'll add more. What do you reckon?
I also need to update the cast shadow of the cliffs over this brand new river :P

The more I add, the more my computer is complaining. Jeeze, I'm going to kill it 8)

mearrin69
09-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Looking awesome, dude. Maybe too much wave on the river? And, we want docks!
M

Sapiento
09-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Looks fantastic!

Dain
09-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Looks fantastic!
Thanks, I try to push myself as hard as I can. Let's hope you'll think the same once the map is really finished ;)

Looking awesome, dude. Maybe too much wave on the river? And, we want docks!
M
Thanks mate,
Yeah, a lot ripples on this water ... must be very windy around there, not good for holidays :D
I'll try to modify the weather :P

Crayons
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, I missed your reply ... that could have saved me a lot of time actually.
Your houses are gorgeous, I'll be happy to give it a try. How do we proceed?)
It looks like it might be a bit late in the day!
Did you have a "play" with the sample png file I posted? Can you use images in that format, by (say) cutting and pasteing bits you want from it?
Is your image posted here at full size or reduced? - I can fit a lot more smaller buildings on a page if so. Basically it's about resolution...
The main issue is shadows. To keep shadows consistant I've rendered these with the "Sun" at the same angle as I approximated yours to be and done a whole load of buildings at different angles and at what variety of roof types I have at the moment.
I don't especially want to release the code for this just yet as it's part of a greater whole and I want to field that all together in one go. I'll drop out some routines from that code for the 2D community to use at that time. It all needs "tidying up" and making easier to use before then...

Dain
09-05-2010, 07:43 PM
It looks like it might be a bit late in the day!
Did you have a "play" with the sample png file I posted? Can you use images in that format, by (say) cutting and pasteing bits you want from it?
Is your image posted here at full size or reduced? - I can fit a lot more smaller buildings on a page if so. Basically it's about resolution...
The main issue is shadows. To keep shadows consistant I've rendered these with the "Sun" at the same angle as I approximated yours to be and done a whole load of buildings at different angles and at what variety of roof types I have at the moment.
I don't especially want to release the code for this just yet as it's part of a greater whole and I want to field that all together in one go. I'll drop out some routines from that code for the 2D community to use at that time. It all needs "tidying up" and making easier to use before then...

Thanks for your help. I actually did try the package. At the end, it appeared to be quite nice, especially because of the big range of colours and shapes. But dealing with one house at a time was very time consuming. I've finally made up my mind and I'll use a quicker technique. The result may not be as nice as with your little houses but it's not too bad, I hope.
You'll tell me :P

I still need to do battle maps (or something similar) and your houses will then be more than welcome. :D
Can you adjust their size easily?

Dain
09-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Another update, I'm getting closer to the final version now.

Thanks to the advice of mearrin, the weather has been changed and we have a far less windy region. No more ripples since they used to bring shiny/ glossy effects that didn't match well with the rest of the map, more .. let's say matt. I believe it has now a lot of contrast and gives ideas of depth when you look at them at 1:1 scale. Yet, I'll probably do something more about them, not sure what though.
The city is there now and houses follow reliefs rather than a more classical modern pattern. Despite they are all square based (a basic brush) I like them. I just try to refrain myself redoing the entire city with rectangle brushes. What do you think?
I've also done docks (don't pay too much attention at the texture, it's temporary) and 1 "barely OK" ships. I'll add some more along the piers and sailing, hopefully with a better aspect.

Is till need to work on the cast shadow of the cliffs and some small things here and there
Hope you'll like it.

mearrin69
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Looking good. I especially like the areas south and west of the city. What about suggesting (at least lightly) some roads in and around (and to) those buildings to the north. I look at them and wonder how one gets there. Nothing highway-like...but maybe at least a trail to the home of anyone that's not a total hermit. Also, maybe some more small copses of trees in appropriate areas? You've suggested a very dry area overall but the farming area to the west looks quite lush and I don't see any suggestion of irrigation. Maybe greening up the rest of the map just a bit will tone down the need for an answer to the question? Just some thoughts. I really like the map!
M

Dain
09-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Looking good. I especially like the areas south and west of the city. What about suggesting (at least lightly) some roads in and around (and to) those buildings to the north. I look at them and wonder how one gets there. Nothing highway-like...but maybe at least a trail to the home of anyone that's not a total hermit. Also, maybe some more small copses of trees in appropriate areas? You've suggested a very dry area overall but the farming area to the west looks quite lush and I don't see any suggestion of irrigation. Maybe greening up the rest of the map just a bit will tone down the need for an answer to the question? Just some thoughts. I really like the map!
M
Thanks for the comment,
Roads were indeed missing out. Done some narrow tracks here and there to link every pack of houses.
The more I look at the map and read the comments, the more I feel the map unbalanced. Everybody says the fields are great and this means to me that our eyes are mainly driven to the left side of the map. Something is therefore missing on the right side of the map to bring back balance and enjoy the map as a whole, ot just the fields and (maybe) the city.
Following your well-advised recommendation I've added some green to the rest of the map. I've also started to add more fields in the north and I'm thinking about adding some other in the south, but just a few. I believe it is for the best, even if I start to think that this map will never be finished as we always find something to improve :P
Keep up the comments guys, I love it! ;)

mearrin69
09-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Heh. I know *I've* never "finished" a map...just stopped working on them.
M

Aval Penworth
09-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Congratulations. Excellent job. Particularly the cliffs, fields and water.

Steel General
09-06-2010, 09:31 AM
This turned out quite nicely!

Crayons
09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
This is turning out really beautifully. I think you're right about the right side of the map though. If this is a map it sort of begs the question - "Why map this empty bit?". You might think about something that, by nature, wouldn't be near the city particularly... perhaps a quarry, mine, or those peat diggings I mentioned. Perhaps there's a forest that way and you have all the facilities for sawmills, woodworkers and a major boatyard?
Maps are never really finished - you stop when all the relevant data at the resolution you're working at is present ! If ever!

Dain
09-07-2010, 01:35 AM
This is turning out really beautifully. I think you're right about the right side of the map though. If this is a map it sort of begs the question - "Why map this empty bit?". You might think about something that, by nature, wouldn't be near the city particularly... perhaps a quarry, mine, or those peat diggings I mentioned. Perhaps there's a forest that way and you have all the facilities for sawmills, woodworkers and a major boatyard?
Maps are never really finished - you stop when all the relevant data at the resolution you're working at is present ! If ever!
You've got good ideas man;)
When you think about building a fortress, well, you indeed have to get a quarry ...
That's good advice and since I want to keep going on this style of map, I'm going to use that.

For now, the commissioner is happy with the map and that's all I need :D
Add ships, cats shadow, brand new fields to make the map more balanced, more trees, scale and some little bits here and there.
Hope you'll like this new version even better ;)
Except if you find anything major, I'm gonna label this one finished

Next ones will be some sort of Battle maps ... never done that before ... gonna be interesting ... 8)

Thanks for your comments guys. It means a lot to me and the map couldn't be as good as this (whatever it means) without you ;)

mearrin69
09-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Definitely helped out. Feels much more balanced and realistic now. Great work!
M

Dain
09-07-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks mate ;)

Sapiento
09-07-2010, 02:27 AM
An absolutely stunning piece!

Coyotemax
09-07-2010, 04:50 AM
That's bloody brilliant. **applause**

Dain
09-07-2010, 07:57 AM
THAT makes me feel good :D

Crayons
09-09-2010, 09:59 AM
That's really beautiful, well done indeed!