PDA

View Full Version : The Blackmount Empire

pasis
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I finally decided to call this one finished. It started as an experiment with Geocontrol and Photoshop, but then I thought I could make a full map out of it to be posted here. I’m keen on details and adding things by hand just the place I want them to be. So I caught myself erasing a road for example, because it went from a wrong side of some blob…yeah, I know I should see a doctor…
I really had difficulties from time to time to carry on due to enormous amount of work this one required, but the feedback kept me going. Thank you everyone for C&C and hope you like it.
I couldn’t squeeze it to fit to the file limitations just by jpeg compression as it lost too many details, so I lowered the resolution a bit over 15% to avoid too hard compression.
By the way I have added three faces across the map, for all you eagle eyes in the guild. Two of them should be easy to find, but the third one could be tricky.

tilt
06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
beatiful map pasis ... and you're evil - now you have me searching for the third face... I gather it looks "real" like the other two? ... in order not to spoil it for the others, I'm PM'ing you with the two I found :)

Katto
06-11-2010, 03:07 PM
The WIP was impressive and the final map is also. Well done!

torstan
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Really nice work. I'm impressed to see your style develop. It's nice to see people who have a very successful look trying something new.

Jaxilon
06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Great look, it seems extremely rugged and I like it very much. Can't see the faces although I did find what looks to me like a skull learing up out of there. Maybe that's one of them? I'm tired and need a nap so maybe later.

LS-Jebus
06-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Its an amazing piece of art. If I ever got one of my games to a near-complete stage you'd have a commission.

My only criticism is... you need to make more of these. :D

pasis
06-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Thank you guys.

@tilt: Yes it look "real" as the others...And by the message you sent me, it seems you have already found the tricky one, darn.

@Jaxilon: I think the easiest to find is near Watchman Town and the others look the same.

Jaxilon
06-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Ah, I see what you are talking about now. I was looking in the SE corner of the map, tilting my head NW and seeing that mountain range as a skull. I still say it looks like one too which is pretty cool.

LonewandererD
06-13-2010, 06:06 AM
Sir, I envy you your skill, truly inspiring. It's maps like this that got me into cartography in the first place. Duly repped, if i can rep you now that is.

Now excuse as I pick my jaw up off the floor, and yes I found the three faces, well hidden.

EDIT: Cannot rep right now, must spread the love but I will be back.

-D-

Steel General
06-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I think the only little criticism I could make is that the red text is a bit difficult to read in some spots.

That aside, if I haven't said it before...nicely done!

The-Somberlain
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I really can't express how I envy and admire your skills! This is an excellent, beautiful map that most published campaign settings could never dream of having. I mean it is so inspiring, I could sit and write 50 pages about the region just by looking at the map! Great work!

pasis
06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I think the only little criticism I could make is that the red text is a bit difficult to read in some spots.

The text is more readable with ful resolution. I had to lower the res almost 20% and then some jpeg compression on top of that to fit with the file limitation. I could have posted it in 2 piece, but thought this was better.

@all: thank you for your kind words...