PDA

View Full Version : The Wreck of the Goodwife, or the Ships' Graveyard

torstan
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Back in the January Challenge I had to withdraw my entry as the map had been purchased. It was bought by Open Design and made the back cover in full colour of Kobold Quarterly 13. It also appeared in the underwater adventuring supplement Sunken Empires and as a map pack in the Kobold Quarterly store. Now all of those have hit the shelves I'm free to post it here!

The printed map:

and the full scale map:

Here's the original WIP thread:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8621-WIP-Ships-Graveyard-undersea-map

Here's the original challenge thread:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8633-WITHDRAWN-January-Entry-Western-Mythkir-Bay-Ship-s-Graveyard

These are the versions cropped for the guild. If you would like the version scaled at 100px per inch for print or use in a vtt then I recommend grabbing the map pack from the KQ store. I don't get a share of that money, that's a fully KQ product.
http://www.koboldquarterly.com/KQStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=78

As this is a commissioned and printed piece it is rights reserved.

bambua
06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Awesome work man, very impressive, the color is unbelievable.

StillCypher
06-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Absolutely beautiful piece of work. I love the colors and the details. Makes me drool!

pasis
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Really great. I truly envy your skill...repped

tilt
06-11-2010, 02:26 PM
there he goes with the water again *lol* ... fantastic map, love the colors, the style everything and you deserve much more rep than my mace can deliver - a thorough beating is what you should get ;)

Gidde
06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
That is incredibly cool, Torstan ... and don't let tilt pick on ya too much. You may do water often, but you do it better than just about anyone else ;)

torstan
06-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Well he's picking on me because I mentioned a high level adventure idea with lots of water - and this is the map I used for that adventure idea. So really it's only one lot of water.

Thanks for all the compliments - much appreciated. It's just a shame I wasn't able to hold onto this map long enough to enter it into the January contest!

Jaxilon
06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah this is really sweet. I love the look and hope to someday be able to do something that looks as good.

Rythal
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Awesome job! there should be more underwater maps around here :P

Ciderhelm
06-12-2010, 01:23 AM
This is really an incredible piece. :)

torstan
06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Yep, I found a dearth of underwater maps when I was considering the finale to my campaign arc. I've always shied away from underwater games because the rules looked so complicated. However at high levels with lots of freedom of movement spells and enchantments like cloak of the sea, the play is actually identical to a high level encounter anywhere else as swimming underwater becomes identical to flying. Now it makes targeted dispel magic (or worse - anti-magic rays) much more dangerous, but that's a fun twist for your players to find out about.

I love high level play and I hope that this provides a useful environment for some people here to use for their players.

Aegeri
06-14-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm actually using this in early paragon tier myself, because sometimes you just need to do something that's a bit different and interesting. Plus it gives me lots of creepy possibilities rules wise!