PDA

View Full Version : The Port City of Amlathran

LonewandererD
06-13-2010, 08:57 AM
My last city drove me to the brink of insanity, and now I'm back.

Here is the base plan for the small port city of Amlathran, one of the six free cities (say that really fast ten times) of the Cothiqua Islands. Since it's not in the Dal Lands like my last city was I can try some new building types that wouldn't be found in Dal cities. Hello rounded stone towers and goodbye to the aversion to the colour red, basically this city is going to have more of a European feel. To preserve my insanity the city is going to be smaller, but when have I ever kept anything small and simple? While smaller it will also be a little more lively and characterful as in there will more variance in the building shapes, a few more misc features and other signs of life like boats and other vessels. I'm also looking to achieve more of a tropical look to my city, just to make it more interesting and break from my other darker maps.

The basic plan has been drawn up and is quite simple. The purple is where the walls, towers and castle will be, the grey is the main roads and city square, the brown is the lower end wooden roof houses outside the city while that ugly peach colour is the higher end tiled roofed houses inside the city. More to come soon.

-D-

Steel General
06-13-2010, 11:02 AM
You are a glutton for punishment :D

LonewandererD
06-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Well there must be something in it thats drawing me back.

Anyway, update! I've down the main roads, walls, towers and docks, going to go back and make the battlements on the towers neater. Everything is done to the scale of 2 pixels = 1 foot, so as an example those walls are 15 feet thick. As you can see, this place is going to be much smaller than my last one and I couldn't be more relieved, though I probably do something crazy that makes to change that
More to come soon.

-D-

Kaiser MacCleg
06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I'll certainly be watching the development of this map with interest - your other city maps are very inspiring. :)

tilt
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
you just gotta go back there, don't you... love the bit about "preserving your insanity" *lol*
hmm. I can only see the top 60 pixels or so of the second map :(

Katto
06-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Please wait with your insanity until you have finished this map and the actual regional map :)

LonewandererD
06-16-2010, 05:35 AM
I've gotta stop scaring myself like that. Being the idiot that I am I accidently saved over my own work, fortunately I have simplified the process enough that only a half hours work and most of it was saved. I will still have to work on the coast to get it looking right again. Anyway, here's some progress, I've put down most of the houses inside the walls as well as putting down the road plans and warehouses.

More to come soon.

-D-

Fransie
06-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Somehow, this map reminds me of something...

LonewandererD
06-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Lol, I love it. I was trying to figure out what the coat of arms for the city should be, guess its a lion now.

-D-

Fransie
06-16-2010, 08:10 AM
I hope you'll make one that's a bit better looking than mine :-)

Steel General
06-16-2010, 10:36 AM
This is progressing nicely, more than I can say for my latest one.

tilt
06-17-2010, 05:32 AM
looking really good... and nice spot Fransie ... no doubt this is the city of the lion now ;)

LonewandererD
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I can't look at this map anymore without seeing the lion's head, what has been seen cannot be unseen :)

Anyway, an update. I've finished putting the base building features inside the city and will now be moving onto detailing it, this is where I'm going to go nuts, I want this city to look like a city, as in busy, crowded but alive. There is a lot of open space right now but that will soon change. And to add to the crowded look, each building will be getting and extra storey.

More to come soon.

-D-

Fransie
06-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I can't look at this map anymore without seeing the lion's head, what has been seen cannot be unseen :)

Sorry 'bout that :oops:

Nice going. You might want to get some more variation in the buildings, it's rather bland right now. Put some right next to each other, and right up to the roads, instead of leaving a space around them. Space in a city is always at a premium. Check out some older european towns on Google Maps, like this pic from Orleans in France.

If you continue to strive to a result such as this, you will no doubt preserve your insanity >:)

Katto
06-18-2010, 03:10 PM
IMO the roofs of the light brown houses look strange like a waffle, too big. Try to scale them down or use another texture. There are so many out there. As Fransie said try to use some size variations. It is possible to a certain degree with this style.

tilt
06-19-2010, 02:48 AM
it was very common in cities to use the neighboring wall as your own and just build your house on the existing. That does however pose a slight problem if you work with layers styles as you want your style to fit only one building at a time so you have to leave a least one pixel between buildings :)

But if you want your city to look busy, medieval city like you'll have to cramp a lot more houses in there... and this is a city in another part of the world (right?) so you don't have to follow the same style from the last one? - so, no neat lines... just throw those buildings in there...
and now I'll have to go update my own city map I think... still needs some hundred buildings before the small ones are done. :)

LonewandererD
06-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Repeat after me kids, he's gone nuts >:)

I called in the bulldozers and gone are the delicious waffle houses and now they have been replaced with, well, a mess of houses. I've got to work on the colour and patterns more before going on, I'm not a fan of that maroon colour.

-D-

tilt
06-19-2010, 08:34 AM
now we're getting somewhere ;) ... it looks a little funny with the houses on top of houses, but I gather you're just gettin started... for an even busier look make the roads smaller and drop the green areas in between the building and make them dirt instead :)

Ascension
06-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I rather liked the waffle houses. Maybe bring them back in shanty-town or something :)

Katto
06-19-2010, 03:23 PM
You're in a bad situation LWD. Now the houses look crowded, but you have changed the style. If you want to keep the original style, I would try to create irregular shaped houses, not the standard rectangular ones. Take a look at Gandwarf's CD3 cities to see what I mean. It is a lot of work, but with these shapes and a variation of 3 or 4 different roof types and colors it could work. Perhaps it would make sense to create generic clusters to save time.

btw: everytime I look at this city now I see a coughing lion. Thanks Fransie :)

tilt
06-20-2010, 01:50 AM
In Lonew's defense I believe that when a lion coughs it head is pointed downwards, whereas when it ROOOOARS... its straight/upwards ;)

LonewandererD
06-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Shanty town is now waffle town, not much of an unpdate but i think the change of colour works fine for the city.

-D-

LonewandererD
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Regrettfully I must say that I'm discontinuing waffle-lion-shanty-town, I'm trying to focus on my other projects and that means needing to abandon one of them, sadly, this map drew the short straw. Anyone else is welcome to continue it, I'll even send you the PSD if you PM me, my only condition is that the name "Amlathran" is not used for this map. I like that name and will eventually use it for something.

-D-

Steel General
06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Eh? Don't discontinue it, just put it on the shelf 'til later, maps have no expiration date :)

LonewandererD
06-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Unfortunately I will be discontinuing this map. When I started it had no real idea as to what I wanted from it and I still don't, also I REALLY want to get back to getting the Dal Lands right and completed so this thing would be on the shelf for a long long time so I may not want to do any more city creation after that.

This map hasn't expired, its just in a "transition" phase right now, as in I hope it will pass on to another cartographer. Maybe someone else can show it the love i cannot afford it right now.

-D-

sigurdbjohansson
12-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Hello....

Really interested in the shapes of the house-clusters... did you generate them or draw them??

LonewandererD
12-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow, i thought this thread was dead. I'm sure I said it before somewhere but the houses where generated using Talmariel's Quick and Dirty Building tutorial, you can find it in the tutorial section at about page 6 onwards.

Hope this helps.

-D-

sigurdbjohansson
12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks!!!!!