PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Lone Island

pasis
06-13-2010, 04:53 PM
My last projects have been quite big taking months to complete and I thought I should do something faster and with less detail. So here is what I have been playing with the past few days. I'm not sure if this can be counted as a map due to the angle used, but I'm posting it anyway. I don't have any rendering program so I'm doing this with photoshop and it has it's limitations. I'm also having problems with the coast line and the island seems to float over the water. I have few ideas how to fix it, but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

jeffsheets
06-13-2010, 05:10 PM
O.O

VERY nice look there. I almost would've sworn it was a 3d render. :) I really like the detail and especially the shadows of the mountains.

torstan
06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
That's incredible. You're saying that you haven't used any 3D software for this at all? I'd love a tutorial on how you've got this far.

ravells
06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm amazed. I'd love you to share the secret!

pasis
06-13-2010, 05:51 PM
The secret is Geocontrol. Geocontrol actually can give out a real 3D output that could be read with 3dmax or other 3d software. But I don't have such software, so I take a screen copy from my work in GC and paste it to PS for editing and texturing. First thing in PS is to remove the unwanted parts and correct the problematic things (like shadows). Then I need to tilt all my textures to the same angle with the GC screen copy and start adding them. Tilting the textures fools the eye nicely and make it more 3D.

StillCypher
06-13-2010, 05:53 PM
That's incredible. You're saying that you haven't used any 3D software for this at all? I'd love a tutorial on how you've got this far.

Ha. My husband and I were just looking at this and I said the very same thing!! "No 3D software?? I want to know how he did it!" That is totally awesome. GREAT work!

pasis
06-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I have enchanted the colors and worked with the coastlineline to make it look like waves hitting the shore. But I'm not sure what should I do with it (should I just label it or add something or what)?

Rythal
06-15-2010, 06:05 PM
hmm, the waves dont really match the shore (ie, going sideways and stuff). I'd also make the ocean a bit darker, but thats really just preference.

As for the land, all I can say is stunning.

Juggernaut1981
06-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Add in a village? Maybe a shipwreck? I'm seeing this as a very Robinson Crusoe's Island kind of image.

Jaxilon
06-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow-wee! I told my wife to take a look at this and she said, "That's awesome." So that's 2 thumbs up from this household :)

Steel General
06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
You could add Godzilla coming up out of the ocean :D

pasis
06-16-2010, 03:24 AM
@Rythal, Yes the waves that are coming from the sea, do not align with shore line. This is due to the texture I use, but I don’t know how to overcome the problem other than creating additional textures with waves coming from different angles. I tried to hand draw additional waves, but well...it didn't work.
I also tried darker ocean, or actually what I did was to add an adjustment layer (negative exposure) on top of the ocean layer and then increased the opacity of the layer where I have the whitening of the shallow water. The shallow water remained the same, but deep water got darker and it worked.

@Juggernaut1981, I see this very Robinson Crusoe setting as well.

Thanks Jaxilon, appreciated…

@SG, LOL!!! I need to consult the artistic members of the guild to help me out…

pasis
06-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Here is the Godzilla for you SG :) I didn't do the Godzilla myself though. It is from nationalgeographic pages, I just made it come from the water adding splashes and shadow.

tilt
06-16-2010, 05:30 AM
I'm with juggs, add a shipwreck - and a village ... and a Dharma collective *lol*
if you have to move from picture to map - you gotta add places to "map" :)
but looking beautiful - you know I love your style :)

tilt
06-16-2010, 05:40 AM
okay.. you take a single phonecall while answering this post and suddenly people are not only talking about godzilla but also posting it... I WASN'T TAKING THAT LONG ON THE PHONE... slow down *lol*

Steel General
06-16-2010, 11:45 AM
I love the Godzilla...that's great! :D

Any chance I can get one 1900x1200 so I can use it as wall paper?

ravells
06-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Hah, I'll see your Godzilla and raise you an Ultraman.