PDA

View Full Version : Mountains test

Spiritless
06-13-2010, 04:45 PM
My first attempt in mapping for some time.

I'm trying out a new way of creating mountains, 3d this time. I'll post some results here, show you what I have, because my biggest concern is if it can be used for anything, and how real the mountains are. I suppose not to real this time...
Sorry for the crappy quality of #5, couldn't fix it. Bit if you omit the extremely black areas you'll notice that the higher mountains cast shadows (the same with number 4, though not as visible)

a2area
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
This looks cool... with the right texture it'd look like Torres del Paine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torres_del_Paine_National_Park)

tilt
06-19-2010, 02:32 AM
looking good I think - and agree with a2area, throw on some texture to break up the smootheness and you're well on the way :)

kalvinlyle
06-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Nice results! I've been rendering Mountains shadows in 3DSMax for my maps and I've found they tend to look 'soft' if I don't put the heightmap into the Bump channel (set to 200+, with 0.5 blur or less) as well as in the displacement modifier.

Also I've found the height maps to be more realistic if I adjust the curves to darken the mid tones of the height map.