PDA

View Full Version : The Holy City of Nebbūran

Kaiser MacCleg
06-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Having tried my hand at regional mapping, I thought I'd try mapping a city this time around. The not-quite-half-finished map below depicts the Holy City of Nebbūran, the spiritual centre of the Kingdom of Nebūr. The city is characterised by wide, arterial roads connecting locations of importance connected by twisting, labyrinthine alleyways which make the city notoriously hard to police. The palatial Ūnam Šakh, a vast complex containing temples, reliquaries and archives, dominates the hill upon which the city is built, and is topped by a golden dome which can be seen for miles around.

I've tried to adopt a hand-drawn style while creating this map - I haven't been satisfied with the method of using brushes to place buildings in the past, and drawing it by hand, despite the obvious drawbacks - the time it takes to place buildings, for instance - allows me more control over how the city will ultimately look.

I'm not sure about the font I've been using. It certainly looks the part, but I'm not sure if it'll be legible enough - especially if I use smaller font sizes in the future. What do you guys think? :?:

I'm determined that this map will make it to the "finished maps" forum. ;)

LonewandererD
06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Sir, you must be insane to attempt something like this, and thats why i like it. I will watch this develop with great interest, have some rep for the great start.

-D-

Redrobes
06-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Its looking mighty fine so far. I agree with both your points about the font. It is a bit hard to determine if thats an L or K for the start of the river name. Its a nice mapping style generally.

tilt
06-14-2010, 02:52 PM
looking really good - love that style, very neat :)

Kaiser MacCleg
06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone (and for the rep :D). Redrobes, thanks for the input. I've been experimenting with other fonts and I've found a couple which could work. Its a K by the way. ;)

Katto
06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
That's a really big project you've started, respect! I won't care about the font at the moment. Keep in mind that this is the market hall, this the river XXX etc. If you start labelling now this will damage the city layout.

Kaiser MacCleg
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I have a hand-drawn version of the map as well, so for the most part I'm tracing the layout in the GIMP, and I'm not that worried about experimenting with labelling at this early stage. I've had the city's basic layout filed away in a dusty corner of my brain for a while now; this is just an exercise in finally putting it down on paper and tidying up the edges. :)

Steel General
06-15-2010, 07:54 AM
A really nice start, looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Kaiser MacCleg
06-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Progress has been slower than I'd hoped, because I haven't had a lot of time to work on the map. Nonetheless, its starting to come together.

I have a little over half of the walled city done now, though there's more to be done outside the walls, too, and I don't even know where to start when it comes to the farmland. :lol:

Ascension
06-19-2010, 05:26 PM
This looks good so keep at it. As for farmland, just start with the roads and the huts and see where you are at that point...you might not need to draw in farmlands but might get away with only hedgerows.

The-Somberlain
06-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Very nice progress, go for it! I really like the colors and the font, I think the whole map glues very well together! I envy your patience!

Jaxilon
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Just want to add my support for you continuation on this project. It is looking very excellent. I await more!

Kaiser MacCleg
06-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the support guys! I've been really busy lately, so the map hasn't progressed much, but I'm working on it again now, so hopefully I'll be able to get another WIP uploaded soon.

Aenigma
07-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I like it!

ravells
07-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm fascinated by the way different people approach mapping cities. They are by far the hardest landscapes to map. My only small crit (but it's a stylistic thing so don't pay too much attention) is that the size of the main roads compared to the size of the city blocks looks a little large (I've done this often), but I do hope you continue with this, it's got good legs.

Dolmen Creative
07-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow! :o I think that's about all I can say. I can't wait to see what the final looks like. Are you doing this as a part of a project or is this just for the heck of it?

Diamond
07-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say that I think this is damn pretty. Makes me want to do a city map of my own...

Icestorm008
07-19-2010, 07:51 AM
The city layout looks fantastic, and I love the style! I like what you did with the cliffs in particular, but I would like to see some more finishing/development on the Upper City when you get around to it. Keep up the great work. You have something great here.

vman3force
07-25-2010, 08:00 AM
May i just say that this is an amazing map your working on here, and im envious. Is it ok if i steal this for my Dark Sun campaign when it's finished? It looks like it could fit right in to the desert world of Athas.

NeonKnight
07-25-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm liking what I am seeing. Keep up the work!

saithan
07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm really liking the feel of this map, the neatness, the shading and planning all great IMHO.

Awaylaughing
07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
It's looking terrific so far. The style is nice and neat, and it looks very well balanced visually.

Kaiser MacCleg
05-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Thought I'd let you guys know that I'm working on this map again on the rare moments I have time to do so. Life has an unerring habit of getting in the way.

Thanks for the support and comments. It's a great community you have here. :)

Reckon I'll need to change the font at some point...it's rather hard to read in places. :P

vman3force
05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Glad to see you back - I missed this map! Yeah, I'd change the font to something a little less cursive, not sure it matches the theme.

Juggernaut1981
05-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Freebooter while awesome for "Thar be Sea Monsters over yonder" isn't great for many other things.
But I do like what I see, with again the comment that your main roads don't look like they are travelled by horse & cart, but by semi-trailer.

wynn
06-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Very cool so far, I love your style.