PDA

View Full Version : New Member, New Post, New Map - Anova Rynn - Hand Drawn graph paper

Zetesofos
06-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone, Name is Zetesofos, and I just joined up. I'm pretty new to this cartography thing in any serious aspect; but having drawn several maps for my fantasy world by hand, enough to start filling a binder, I figured I'd see if I could find a way to refine my skills and make them prettier. I figured out early on that while my campaign players don't really need detailed maps, I have plenty of fun drawing them for their own sake. At the very least, I can get support and learn something from professionals. This is the first full map I've drawn (it had one prototype that was made in color pencil, but it was more of an....outline). I suppose having looked around, the land mass and islands don't look perfectly 'natural', but I think I wanted to have a couple places that just looked like something from way up high. I would like to eventually convert this into a couple different high quality maps, political and geological mostly.

Quick Newbie questions
1. What does WIP stand for
2. How do you make thumbnails
3. Is there cake

Steel General
06-19-2010, 02:23 PM
WIP = Work In Progress

The software should create the thumbnails automatically if you attach the image as an attachment (not inline). We are having some issues with the latest version of the board software so itss a bit wonky at the moment

Let there be cake!!

Katto
06-19-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know what you mean with cake, but I'll give you a cookie+3 :)

Let there be more handdrawn maps!!

Ascension
06-19-2010, 05:35 PM
The first thing I always look at is the thing that most people mess up - but you did not. Good job on the rivers and good job on the whole thing so far.

Juggernaut1981
06-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Not bad at all for the good old grid-paper and pencil job. Go grab a copy of GIMP, trawl through the tutorials on GIMP mapping and hassle RobA when you don't get what's going on... :P

Forgot to whack you with my Rep-Whiffle-bat. *ftang*

tilt
06-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Hi Zete,
very nice map you got there... I look forward to seing it in color (or at least without the grid competing for attention *lol*) - as Ascension I've also looked over your rivers for newbie mistakes, and they look good too ;) I'll whack you with my mace of nice repping +4 for your first upload ;)

Zetesofos
06-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome, and apparently excellent ...river praise. I owe it all to wikipedia......the poor man's "Is this right?"