PDA

View Full Version : wip Atlantis (my spin on it anyway)

simpfan1
06-23-2010, 05:10 AM
The roleplay I am part of takes place on a "reimagined" version of Atlantis, and the first map is the old map we have been using, the second is what Im working on now. Just testing out some tutorials and things, but Im happy with the shape. The coast looks better.

Ive been having trouble getting texture and color down, and any time I try to gaussian blur...things get weird
oh well, can learn this stuff in a single night (which is how long it took to get from Map A to Map B)
any tips or fingers pointing to tutorials on how to get good terrain and mountains down would be much appreciated.
I can do the shape of the landmass fairly well, just filling it in I have issues with

the continent has basically been torn apart by a massive explosion, which is the reason for the crater in the upper left.

nowhere near finished, but just thought Id let people critique

rdanhenry
06-24-2010, 12:04 AM
River system is messed up, but if cataclysm was recent, you could argue it's a temporary, unstable anomaly. What's the scale on this: is this island-sized Atlantis or continent-sized Atlantis? (If I'm reading it right, then you've got mountains that make it look pretty big.)

simpfan1
06-24-2010, 12:54 AM
messed up? how so?

and its a continent

Iapetus
06-24-2010, 01:07 AM
I really do love the crater and the detail there. Was it low land to begin with, or did the crater help lower the elevation there too? (The way the water flows away reminds me of a delta, even if it's way too big for that.)

rdanhenry
06-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Rivers don't cross each other, they join as they flow to the sea. The only split (sometimes) in flat deltas (where the channels will naturally shift in a geological instant) which are a tiny portion of the river length.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3822-How-to-get-your-rivers-in-the-right-place

simpfan1
06-24-2010, 02:25 AM
@iapetus: Actually the region was very mountainous, but the explosion was massive (and influenced by magic) so it just ravaged that entire area. Ill admit that, in reality, an explosion that large would probably have caused a world-wide extinction, but hey, its fantasy, so the bending of logic and physics doesnt seem that bad. ( Plus Im not the one making the story, just doing the maps :p )

@rdanhenry: I see. Ill fix that then. :]

Ascension
06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Atlantis actually had canals to the sea instead of rivers so I'd make them puppies straight.

Iapetus
06-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh, I'm a bit more flexible when it comes to fantasy worlds. I was just trying to make sense of the colors used. (Are they like fjords, then?)

simpfan1
06-24-2010, 05:08 PM
@ascension: well Athenya (the city I posted) is the capital and its design is based off of the city of Atlantis, with walls and canals and all that.

@Iapetus: oh the colors for everything dont represent elevation, more natural formations. Forests, deserts, a dead and lifeless wasteland surrounding the crater, etc. Elevation is something Id like to show, but Im having trouble.

simpfan1
06-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Following some tips from Ascensions Atlas tutorial, I made this now

I like it, might tweak it a bit here and there
add a border, rose, and measurements
maybe some other stuff
not sure yet

better than the first ones in the thread at least :p

Ascension
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Whoa, now that's interesting. Well done with this so far.

simpfan1
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Is interesting a good thing? :p

Ascension
06-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Indeed. I love the broken up land but I think the country border on that area is slightly much.

simpfan1
06-30-2010, 04:36 AM
Yeah Im probably going to go back and make the colorations smaller.
I dont like how the borders completely overtake some areas

Guardian7
01-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Very pretty. Nice take on the Atlantis myth and island.
I plan on doing one myself... and I might show it here on this site.

Nice job.

G7

Naeddyr
01-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Looking really good there. :)

Is this supposed to be Plato's Atlantis on Earth (with a Greece somewhere), and if so, whereabouts have you placed this Atlantis?

Steel General
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Looks nice, a fine job.