PDA

View Full Version : Map Enthusiast from Ontari-ari-ari-o

Friendly Sword
06-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey to all of you nice enough to read my introduction!

My name isn't really Friendly Sword, but I am friendly, and I'd like to think that my wit is as sharp as a sword. ^^

I am eighteen, having just finished my 1st undergraduate year, but I have been a Cartophile for as long as I remember! I have accumulated a rather large collection of both real and fantasy maps, and I have often drawn them myself; imaginary worlds, cities etc. My main reason for joining is to improve my ability to creat nice looking maps, particularly using computer software (something with which I am as of yet totally unfamiliar).

I have long desired to get photoshop, but the $700 or so price tag has so far dissuaded me. I have heard however, that there exist downloadable programs for much less or even free, so I intend to do some research about that.

I love what goes on here, and I am super happy to have found this site!!

Ta,

-FS

RobA
06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Woot.

Another Ontarian! Did you feel that earthquake we just had?

-Rob A>

Rythal
06-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Welcome fellow Ontarian!

about that earthquake, I was in exams when it happened... hehe, it was slightly funny

Steel General
06-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Earthquake? Did the CN Tower fall over or Skydome (or whatever they call it now) collapse?

RobA
06-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Here is the link from USGS:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010xwa7.php

-Rob A>

Iapetus
06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Welcome!

I am not from Ontario, but it is the only part of Canada I've visited. (Makes sense, only being an hour from the border in Michigan.)

I look forward to seeing your maps!

Friendly Sword
06-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Haha, yes, I work in an office building in eastern Ontario and we had quite the little scare when the rumbling started.

Maps are in progress! ^^

The tutorial on this site is quite cool, by the way.

Iapetus
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
The tutorials here are a godsend. This forum is definitely the best resource for people who want to learn how to make better maps.

If you're looking for a free graphics program with a lot of support here, I'd go for GIMP. There are a lot of people who use it and there are some really good effects on it that my favorite program can't do.

NeonKnight
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Mark Oliva
06-24-2010, 11:53 PM
I have long desired to get photoshop, but the $700 or so price tag has so far dissuaded me. I have heard however, that there exist downloadable programs for much less or even free, so I intend to do some research about that.

If you're a student, you should be able to get PhotoShop at the much lower student price. If you want a free alternative, check out The GIMP and Paint.net.

tilt
06-25-2010, 02:42 AM
yep.. I second the GIMP sentiment, not that I use it, but I've only heard good stuff, and a lot of tutorials in here are for that program :)
and welcome to the guild :)

RobA
06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
If you're a student, you should be able to get PhotoShop at the much lower student price. If you want a free alternative, check out The GIMP and Paint.net.

Just be warned that the student pricing only allows you to use it for educational purposes. Also, your school needs to be a member of the plan: http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacherlicensing/

-Rob A>